OT: This going to be good. (Formula One)

Page 1 of 3
Fernando Alonso finished second to close within four points of his McLaren teammate. Hamilton now has 107 points, Alonso 103 and Raikkonen 100.
It will be the first time since 1986 that three drivers will enter the final race with a chance to take the title.
Sao Paulo Brazil Oct 21..... THIS is going to be cool.
F1 is my only 'sports' sickness. If you have never watched a race.. this will be the one to make you an addict.
r---->who thinks Hamilton can win, but Alfonso is last year's champ..and Kimmi...well, I think he deserves it too. Shit... 3 favourites...who am I going to root for?
*bites nails*

Those cars are *insane*.

Yup! And there are a lot of restrictions in place to keep them 'less insane'.. no turbos etc. etc.
An age old argument has been about how CART, IRL and F1 would compare in a race. That opportunity came when CART hosted a race on Gilles Villeneuve Circuit in Montreal. The F1 were a full SIX seconds faster per lap than CART. Sayyyy no more.

No argument here.
F1 may be the last bastion of the "biggest sack" wins!

Fair is fair - let's put the F-1 cars on abig oval like say...Indy, or Michigan, and see just how much slower they are than CART cars. I've yet to see an F-1 car cross traps at 250+ CART cars were doing that at Indy 15 years ago. Fair is fair.
-Kevin in Indy. (Who still thinks Spa Francorchamps is the best racetrack in the world - even with The Brickyard in his neighborhood) To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

Turn left, turn left, turn left..yeehaw.. now we're racing. That's like basketball...but no running allowed.
I'm not saying that Nascar and all that oval stuff isn't exciting to a lot of people, and a lot of people listen to country too...but that just isn't me. There are people who actually drink Budweiser!
MotorCAR racing on a road course is a lot more challenging, interesting and real than that oval stuff. Try racing in the rain..you know, real world situations. Rallies are super cool, but there isn't enough coverage to get to know the drivers and their gear.
One nice thing about people is that we all like different things.

That's what I liked about CART at ther height - they ran on EVERYTHING. Road courses, street courses, big ovals, small ovals - they ran it all. And to stand a chance of finishing well for the year you had to be good at everything.
Somone pointed out that F-1 cars were faster than CART cars on the same roadcourse - granted. I suggest putting them on the same high-speed oval & reverse the results. *shrug*
Oh, and the WWE...er I mean NASCAR.... is pathetic. Yuk.
-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 06:05:32 -0400, Kevin M. Vernon

My favorite NASCAR event was Sears Point, then they dumbed down the track for stock cars. Watkins Glen could be good, too.
Back in '94 or '95, Mark Martin and Dale Earnhardt battled around Sears Point for a good 30-40 minutes. On the last lap, DE slipped by in the Carousel, a long descending, turn, to win the race. That race created a road racing fan in me!
Then, the Carousel was removed from NASCAR visits to Sears Point. 8^(

Come to Virginia. Virginia International Raceway just outside Danville is truly an international quality track, 3.27 miles of twists and straights on a 50+ year old base. Check out www.virclub.com or look at my web site www.charlieselfonline.com. I have a few photos up of recent vintage sports car races there and may get some more up in a couple weeks. I missed getting shots of Carrol Shelby back in June, though, while he and Chris Economaki were at the 50th anniversary celebration. Great place.

Hey, another Indy wRECker! How close to the track are you? I'm near 38th & Kessler.
--
Regards,
Indy cars are designed to go fast on ovals, F1 cars road courses, Thrust SSC straight line on a desert. So, no use in comparing apples to oranges. That said, when it comes to technology, indy cars can't hold a candle to F1 cars. Driving skill? Top drivers are F1 and rally.
Kevin wrote:

But each is designed within a very narrow range of restrictive rules -- w/o that, there would be cars show up at Indy that would beat the sox off all others -- which doesn't make for much of a race.
So, the point of "apples and oranges" goes even deeper to the basic rules of each...

Very true. In fact, Indy car chassis can cost no more than $309,000. F1 car costs about 10x that. So, comparing an F1 car to an Indy car is like comparing an Indy car to a $30,000 racing car. F1 technology is just amazing.
Kevin

Yep. That's why Juan Montoya is leading the Nextel Cup Series in points. Oh, wait...my bad...that's Jeff Gordon. Juan's in 20th place. The point is, each race type has its own set of driver skills and trying to say that a driver in once race type is better than another in a different type is a fruitless (and pointless) exercise.
todd

A bit like comparing soccer and football. How well would Beckham do as a Colt?
It is exactly the difference between oval and road courses that make road courses so appealing to me. Add the ultra-high tech of F1, and it is a sport *I* prefer.
Now, Group B Rallye has (had) it all.
LeMans is another great event in motor racing.
And THEN there are those who actually watch golf on TV....now THAT's a thrill-a-minute!!! </sarcasm>

Touche, touche. Now if I could only remember the name of that rookie who won the CART championship in 1999.... :-)
Kevin

*smirks*...for a second there there i thought you were talking about this guy:
Jacques Villeneuve is notable for winning the 1995 CART Championship, the 1995 Indianapolis 500 and the 1997 Formula One Championship.
I guess it is not about the drivers, eh?
[snip]

Jacques Villeneuve was the best driver I ever say -- more skilled than Schumacher (either one), Hakkinen, Prost, or anyone else. What he didn't/doesn't have is the single-mindedness and dedication that took Schumacher to new heights. Schumacher never seemed to stop trying or lose focus, but Villeneuve won the F-1 championship and then seemed to lose interest -- just as Alonzo has become a prima donna and Raikonnen has spent too much time "enjoying" his personal life.
There are a few people in sports that are able to combine natural skills with complete focus and total dedication. Tiger Woods, Bret Favre, D Earnhart (but not Jr.) and a few others come to mind --
From here it looks like Hamilton may have a combination of skill and dedication similar to Schumacher's, but we'll have to wait for a year or so to find out for sure --

You just might mention that Juan Pablo is having the BEST rookie season of ANYBODY, EVER. Better than Gordon's rookie year, just ask Jeff.
-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

Rookie? My information says that Montoya started racing in CART and F1 (you know, the hard kind of racing) since 1999. This NASCAR stuff is easy in comparison, right? Keep in mind that in Montoya's "rookie" season, he was 32 and Gordon was 22 in his.
todd