OT: The Worst Boxing Movie

Sorry Doug, that is what happened. Kermit Rosevelt Jr. (Teddy's grandson) led the infant CIA operation. It was then, as it is today about the oil. In fact Truman refused to OK the operation but that didn't stop Ike upon his taking office. DAGS

Teamcasa

What a bunch of crap -- Mossadegh was ousted by Iranian military officers loyal to the Shah. Eisenhower provides an excellent description of what happened in his book "Mandate for Change" (pages 159-166).

Reply to
Doug Miller

By the way -- that happened in August 1953, hardly "the first weeks" after Ike's inauguration.

Reply to
Doug Miller

There is no logic in the people attacking the opposition to the present administration. But there is a method.

Whenever they know that the facts are against them, which is often the case, they resort to the classic tactic of a cheating spouse and other persons with a morally indefensible positon. They accuse the other of that of which they themselves are guilty.

In the instant case, they are acting out of pure, unadulterated hatred.

Reply to
fredfighter

No to express an opinion either way but....

On the off chance that those military officers were aided by the CIA do you suppose Ike might have omitted that from his book, particularly if that involvement was still classfied at the time it was published?

Reply to
fredfighter

hey, hadn't you heard? anyone who criticizes the president hates freedom....

Reply to
bridger

Not exactly. It just happens that a good many of the Political Goobers that criticize the President happen also to have a very selective view of just who is entitled to freedom and how they get it. Specifically, these Political Goobers want to be the switchbox that decides who gets freedom, who pays for it, and on what issues freedom ought to apply. For example, they want people to be "free" to have abortions and simulaneously want me to not be free to avoid paying for them. They want people to be "free" to build and live 8 feet below sea level and then want to enslave me to pay for the rebuilding of these *private* homes and residences regardless of my objections to doing so. The list is endless.

IOW, these people had long been violaters of the idea of *equal* freedom for everyone. They want to decide who is free, just how much, and whose freedoms will be compromised to reach their goals. This all took place long before they started drooling all over themselves about this administration.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

So those who disagree with you and Georgie Boy are goobers. Well, I'd guess gooberizing others shows a certain tendency to peanut-brainism of the gooberizer.

It might really be getting close to the time you quit ascribing an entire menu of beliefs and desires to people who are pesenting an opinion on ONE area. I know it's difficult. Stereotypes die hard, and stereotyping is a whole lot of fun and much easier than thinking, but give it a try.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I don't agree with George on much of anything. I just dislike most all his critics (especially the class of critics herein described) far more than I dislike his ideas.

I did no such thing. I said "A good many of ..." This means I am specifically addressing myself to a subset of W's critics. All I said was that this subset of people opposed equal freedom long before GW showed up. They've been doing it for a long, long time. If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't, you are not in the class being critized (by me), so take a deep breath and relax. All this reflexive defense of George-beaters is bad for your health.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Perhaps that explains your reflexive attacks on critics of his ideas.

Quite so and equally true of a subset of GWB's supporters too.

"Goober" is an interesting choice of _ad hominem_ inasmuchas one more often hears it applied to GWB and his supporters. Perhaps that was deliberate.

Reply to
fredfighter

Well, Swing, I searched High and Low.

I found out that it was called, "The Gillette Cavalcade Of Sports", which I had disremembered.

I found out that the theme song was called. "The Look Sharp March", found out who wrote it and found one MP3 by Fiedler and the Band, but it ain't the same as the whistled version, and I couldn't find that.

Damned shame. I'd like to hear it again.

I'm running about 212, and at 6'0", that's about 32 lbs. over optimal.

I'm only 55, so I've got that in my favor - but the fat knocks that advantage down right quick.

My leg work is shabby. (I'm running the treadmill but it goes slow, ya know.)

My wind is gone. (see supra re: treadmill.)

I'm a southpaw, and that was always good for a little confusion in the opening rounds, if they hadn't done their homework.

(ps - that overhand right bullshit don't work on a good lefty who stays tucked and does body combinations.)

All this comes down to the point that it would be better if, the next time I'm down Tejas way, we hook up, view the shop, see the most current house, and argue my theory of Marciano being the best pure fighter (not boxer) of the 20th century.

(I also want to see the fretless bass - and hear it - I'll bring the Martin.)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Ya know, Swing, I have some stuff that your Dad might like.

I digitized my Dad's shipboard papers a couple of years ago.

He was with Halsey and the Seventh Fleet. He was on a Tin Can (Task Force 38) , except when doing UDT work, which he did at Okinawa, where he did tidal surveys and advance intelligence work.

Some of that might be interesting to your Da.

They aren't much, just the day to day reporting of what those boys thought was going on and some of the scuttlebutt about where the Fleet might be heading.

There are some interesting things in there, I would think, to someone who was actually engaged.

Drop me a line at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net if you want a copy and I'll push it along.