OT: The Worst Boxing Movie

Page 3 of 3

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Perhaps that explains your reflexive attacks on critics of his ideas.

Quite so and equally true of a subset of GWB's supporters too.

"Goober" is an interesting choice of _ad hominem_ inasmuchas one more often hears it applied to GWB and his supporters. Perhaps that was deliberate.
--

FF

Not the choice of the president. The secret service makes those decisions. The best decision would have been for him to stay home after the first visit and save a lot of resources that would be best used to assist the people in the disaster area.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I agree. One trip was sufficient for PR purposes. No politician does any good in a disaster area otherwise.
"Charlie Self" wrote

Unlike our former prez, Jimmy Carter, who actually picks up a hammer and helps to build houses.
Lee Michaels wrote:

True, but Carter was nearly as disastrous a President as Shrub is. He might have hit the same mark if he'd been reelected.
You've never seen a good boxing movie? How about Diggstown?
Tom Watson wrote:

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:21:35 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

I liked Diggstown - good movie, but a horrible boxing movie.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
C'mon Tom, Thats not a boxing movie at all. It's a female empowerment movie. Look at your own example 130# woman punching a 300# heavybag? 200# man punching a 60# bag? Ever see the show Alias? 90# freak woman can beat the crap out of any man they throw at her but if she fights another woman it lasts for what seems hours.. Geena Davis as president? Puhleeze....
It's all a feminist/marxist conspiracy quelling the male masses into a false sense of inferiority. How can anyone waste time watching such drivel when there are so many good books out there.....
Knothead
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Damn, Tom ... I enjoyed visiting with you on the phone, you like my favorite music, now you confess to being a boxing fan ... a decidedly politically incorrect endeavor these days. Wanna dance? ;)
To SWMBO"S utter disgust, much of my TV watching is catching ESPN's classic boxing reruns of all those great fights in the last century. When I was a kid in the early fifties I had to be dragged away from Gillette's Friday Night Fights on that big 8" TV screen.
Notice, if you will, that most fight fans went to the fights in the 40's and 50's in a suit and tie, then switch channels and take a good look when corporate religion's TV cameras pan the audience ... now chew on that awhile :)
.... and watch Archie Moore fight Yvon Durelle for a few rounds and you can see where Mohammed Ali got much of his style and shtick.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

Well, Swing, I searched High and Low.
I found out that it was called, "The Gillette Cavalcade Of Sports", which I had disremembered.
I found out that the theme song was called. "The Look Sharp March", found out who wrote it and found one MP3 by Fiedler and the Band, but it ain't the same as the whistled version, and I couldn't find that.
Damned shame. I'd like to hear it again.

I'm running about 212, and at 6'0", that's about 32 lbs. over optimal.
I'm only 55, so I've got that in my favor - but the fat knocks that advantage down right quick.
My leg work is shabby. (I'm running the treadmill but it goes slow, ya know.)
My wind is gone. (see supra re: treadmill.)
I'm a southpaw, and that was always good for a little confusion in the opening rounds, if they hadn't done their homework.
(ps - that overhand right bullshit don't work on a good lefty who stays tucked and does body combinations.)
All this comes down to the point that it would be better if, the next time I'm down Tejas way, we hook up, view the shop, see the most current house, and argue my theory of Marciano being the best pure fighter (not boxer) of the 20th century.
(I also want to see the fretless bass - and hear it - I'll bring the Martin.)
Ya know, Swing, I have some stuff that your Dad might like.
I digitized my Dad's shipboard papers a couple of years ago.
He was with Halsey and the Seventh Fleet. He was on a Tin Can (Task Force 38) , except when doing UDT work, which he did at Okinawa, where he did tidal surveys and advance intelligence work.
Some of that might be interesting to your Da.
They aren't much, just the day to day reporting of what those boys thought was going on and some of the scuttlebutt about where the Fleet might be heading.
There are some interesting things in there, I would think, to someone who was actually engaged.
Drop me a line at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net if you want a copy and I'll push it along.
On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:31:40 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Tom

I saw 10 minutes of it at a neighbor's house and decided tht it was not for me.

Hey, now. Don't be dissin' Rocky. He's my main man.
Hell, I even liked all the Rambos, Demolition Man, and Judge Dredd (Well, the last two movies were enhanced severely by the inclusion of Ms. Lane and Ms. Bullock.)
Stallone, Schwartzenegger, Willis, Lundgren, Lee, Li, Ford, etc. I'll watch any and all of their movies a dozen times without hesitation. Lotsa fun. I thrive on and love action flicks.
--
"Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not misery but
the very foundation of refinement." --William Morris