OT: The Worst Boxing Movie

Actually, it _is_ on SuperNews - I read it from 'corp.supernews.com'. It's message #1194796 in the spool on that machine.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

look like a public relations stunt. Nobody

Wow. Right up there with the boundless contempt most of us in the middle have for those on both the left and the right.

It is quite possibly time that politicians and those who pander to them began to realize that there are a great many people in this country who were disillusioned by LBJ, sickened by Nixon, not entranced by Reagan, stunned at the ineptness of Bush #1, not in love with Clinton's womanizing, but are totally disgusted by Bush and his policies.

Ike was the last politician of substance and anything approaching honor, IMO. We need another one who has nothing to gain, and wants nothing to gain. But he may have been the last. If that's the case, the country is in a far bigger pile of shit than most of us will admit. We have allowed our political types to turn the entire country over to the military-industrial complex that Eisenhower warned us of, and then we've allowed that complex to turn internationalist, leaving the U.S. pretty well uncovered in the event of a really major problem.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Now it is all run by special interest groups and their campaign contributions which all have strings attached. I doesn't matter whether that campaign contribution goes to the Right or the Left, whoever gets put in the White House, goes there owing a lot of favours to a lot of people. That soul is sold long before inauguration.

And now with paper-less voting, I'm not so sure that voting matters any more. Never in history have there been such huge discrepancies between exit polls and 'counted' votes. And to think 'They' wouldn't do that to The People, makes one very naive.... so think again. First thing to do is to take the voting system back. Then lose the Electoral College. Only then does the Middle stand a chance. Right now the Middle is being split in two by the same tactics as 1933 Germany.

Then it's time to cook up some spotted owl on the BBQ and take the Hummer for a spin.

Reply to
Robatoy

Errrmmm... that would be sarcasm, right?

Holy fu*ck! I'm agreeing with Tim!! Now what?

Reply to
Robatoy

"Charlie Self" wrote

Unlike our former prez, Jimmy Carter, who actually picks up a hammer and helps to build houses.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I'd have to agree that phoney or not, W has to be on-scene with the perhaps the biggest natural disaster this country has witnessed on live TV ever. Those people are _still_ hurting like we can't imagine, and there's only one person they want to see (like him or not) and that's the President... and not some delegated cheerleader. They don't want a token "Hey... I showed up three times since the Hurricane" so I have to move on to other issues president.

OTH, while he has invoked a major energy-savings program at the white house, he should've got on a train in a special series of cars, and then once in the area he could comandeer a copter or whatever was needed to get to all the parishes.

Reply to
captmikey

Yup.

He he he - now you'll get better lookin', richer, and happier ... uh, let me know if that works for ya, BTW ;)

Someday I'm gonna write a book called "Why The Right Is Wrong And The Left Is Worse" In the mean time - vote Libertarian ...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

like a public relations stunt. Nobody

As someone whose ancestors inhabited the land subjugated by The Evil Empire, Reagan gets a big Thumbs Up from me. The Cold War was fought by many, but it was ultimately won by Reagan's deep belief in the power of markets to bankrupt a nonsustainable system. The debt he incurred in so doing has been more than paid back in a more stable world with a noticable diminished miltitary footing, notwithstanding today's excursion in the Middle East. Clinton benefitted directly from the resultant peace dividend. I also very much agreed with his ideas about economics and limited government. Pity the Republican Congress didn't actually manage to act that way as well.

Charlie -

Don't ever kid yourself. We get *exactly* the politics The Sheeple want. Whether Left- or Right-, the politicians are merely responding to the market forces of politics; they are doing what they need to for reelection. It is The Sheeple that line up for "free" stuff and elect people to get it for them. Robert Heinlein once suggested a taxonomy that all humans are one of: Makers, Fakers, and Takers. A depression portion of the population are Fakers and elect Takers to do their stealing for them.

Don't forget that marginal tax rates were over 90% under Ike - the raping of Other People's Wallets was well underway during his presidency. He also bestowed the legacy of Viet Nam upon us which was fulfilled by Kennedy and Johnson. Nixon, for all his sins, had the stones to get us out of that mess. For this and his improving relations with China, he should get some credit.

Again, I think you underestimate the pressure of The Sheeple. The desire to have gasoline at a price people feel like paying, without regard to the geopolitical consequences has driven 'internationalization' of our policy to a noteworthy degree, for example.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

True, but Carter was nearly as disastrous a President as Shrub is. He might have hit the same mark if he'd been reelected.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I wonder. Does he really have to go down there and hold hands once a ewek or more frequently? If he had given the impression of giving even a mild damn about things early on, he might have been able to save about five trips, at 20,000 gallons (or more: that's just AF 1 jet fuel) per trip.

It strikes me that people who call for caution in the use of whatever item, should do their best to reduce their own use of the item being conserved, particularly when said person is one of the largest, if not the largest, single consumers in the world.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Thing is, if he had gone down right away, people would have been (correctly) criticizing him for diverting resources away from rescue and into protecting him. It was appropriate to stay the hell out of the way for as long as he did; there was nothing to be gained by having to, among all their other problems, suddenly have a presidential protection detail going on. Yet the same people complaining that he didn't go down right away, I guarantee, would be pointing out exactly that if he had gone down right away.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Didn't good old Ike order the overthrow (Operation AJAX) of Iran's goverment and its president (Time Magazine's Man or the Year 1951) Mossadegh in the first weeks of his inaguration? This too in an effort to control the world oil supply?

Dave

Teamcasa

Interesting. For some reason my client told me it wasn't available.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

No, not exactly. You might want to read up on what actually happened.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I liked Diggstown - good movie, but a horrible boxing movie.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:31:40 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Tom Watson quickly quoth:

I saw 10 minutes of it at a neighbor's house and decided tht it was not for me.

Hey, now. Don't be dissin' Rocky. He's my main man.

Hell, I even liked all the Rambos, Demolition Man, and Judge Dredd (Well, the last two movies were enhanced severely by the inclusion of Ms. Lane and Ms. Bullock.)

Stallone, Schwartzenegger, Willis, Lundgren, Lee, Li, Ford, etc. I'll watch any and all of their movies a dozen times without hesitation. Lotsa fun. I thrive on and love action flicks.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They were already doing that kind of thing last week. After Katrina, they were lambasting Bush for not going down to NO personally and for not having been there making sure things were right before the storm. Then, before Rita hit, when he *was* in Texas, good ol' David (impartial no bias here) Gregory had the cajones to ask Bush if he thought that with Bush being down there before the storm, he and his entourage were "getting in the way" of the rescue workers.

There is no logic in the people opposing the president, only pure, unadulterated hatred -- it doesn't matter what he does, it will be wrong.

Mark & Juanita

You'll see what you want to see and read what you want to read, of course, but I heard of no one criticizing Bush for not being their personally before the hurricane. And he was there, once his handlers decided his vacation was over, fairly quickly, for a quick flyover on his way home. The "hatred" you see for Bush stems from his use of things like that flyover at 300 MPH or so as a way to say, "Been there, done that" which a lot of the rest of us find unacceptable. At this point, Bush is wasting fuel, though, as he is, IIRC, making trip #5 or #7 (I lost track). One trip to each area should do it, but it hasn't. He's either a slow learner or someone saw more photo ops.

Oh, yes: don't mistake contempt for hatred.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Not the choice of the president. The secret service makes those decisions. The best decision would have been for him to stay home after the first visit and save a lot of resources that would be best used to assist the people in the disaster area.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree. One trip was sufficient for PR purposes. No politician does any good in a disaster area otherwise.

Reply to
Charlie Self