OT: the wife's surgery

Page 4 of 4
My prayers are with you and your family. Please keep us posted on how she is doing, tell her there are a lot of woodworkers out there keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.
Phil
Silvan wrote:

Phil wrote:

Oh yeah, I didn't do that. Well, on a scale of 1 to 10, she was a -5 yesterday. Today she was a -2. Tomorrow we're hoping for 0.
Two days is out the window, and I figure three days is out the window too. I'm thinking maybe Friday. Maybe.
I'm wondering what happens if she stays in until Saturday. Maybe my deductible rolls over and I get to drop another grand. Whee. But if it happens it happens. I don't give a flying rat about the money until after.

My thoughts are with you as well Michael. I recently went through something of this when my sister had a botched surgery. They were to remove a section of bowel, which seemingly went well, but three days later, the stitches ruptured, which in effect was poisoning her from the inside. We were very lucky that this was caught as the surgeon who did the follow up as well basically brushed it off as post surgery whining. If I ever see that woman on the street it will take great internal fortitude not to plow her down with my car. My sister looked as if she had aged 20 years in two weeks. Thankfully she has well mended now and is back to her old self. I realize this is little comfort at this time as there is no rationalizing while you are in the middle of this. Just remember to lean on friends. That is what they are there for.
Paul
Paul in MN wrote:

I feel sort of the same about the oral surgeon who made an incision, then closed it without extracting the wisdom tooth. Not plow him down, but maybe punch him in the head one good time at least.
I'm not really that upset with this surgeon. At least he realized what he had done before this developed into anything catastrophic. Of course, my wife probably has a different opinion. :)

No, it's some comfort. I realize that as bad as this seems in the middle of it, it's really nothing compared to stuff others have been through. There was some real potential for horror there, but the ultimate result isn't that much different from the way these operations were done for years. It just would have been better overall if they had realized up front this was going to be one of those 20% cases that couldn't be handled the newfangled minimally invasive way. The way they made this discovery leaves a lot to be desired. It's probably worth getting that transcript, as someone else suggested, just to see if the guy said "Oh shit!"
I appreciate all the kind words. I've printed up this entire thread and am taking it to her tomorrow. Quite the get well card!
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

Just found the thread, sorry I missed it earlier. Add another old reprobate with no other-wordly connections to the list of good thoughts and hopes for a speedy recovery. It may not count for much, but as the little old lady said as she tinkled in the ocean, every little bit helps.
Here's to a Happy New Year and better times ahead
/vic from rcw
We don't get to compare or contrast our challenges with those that others face - those are irrelevant to our current challenge. The world isn't against us. God isn't ticked at us right now (or at least probably not) We don't live a comparative life. We each live the one we have, and deal with the challenges in front of us. Sometimes they are caused by our choices, often not.
How we deal with stress, challenge, uncertainty, loss, success, joy, fear and unfairness both molds and reveals our character, and that of those around us.
You seem to be bearing up just fine. Continue to lean on your family and friends, even the ones you have only met on the bitstream. We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers, as evidenced by the many messages from around the net.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Friends in the bitstream are about the only kind I have anymore, but stuff like all of this just gives me more ammo to fire at the people who tell me I don't have any "real friends."
I'm glad you folks are out there, and I do appreciate the support.
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:34:20 -0500, Silvan

Hi Michael,
Of course, we all wish your wife a speedy recovery...
How is she doing?
How are you doing?
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Paul in MN wrote:

You all know the name given to the fenderhead that graduates dead last in his medical school class?
It's DOCTOR.
    grit,     jo4hn
Things don't always go as planned no matter how great the surgeon.
But you can bet that they will be watching her closer now that they've had a mishap.
Hang in there and think positive. I'm a firm believer than even unconscious folks perceive the vibes of those around them.
Godspeed to your entire family.
RonT
(snip the story of a pretty tough day in the hospital)
That's a darned rough day for any family. Hang in there and give your whole crew the support that they need.
FWIW, I can tell you that post-operative patients always look very rough for the first 24 hours after surgery. She will get better. And if the doc says her prognosis is excellent, then you can assume that things are looking pretty positive -- because the docs always err on the side of caution rather than optimism.
I have some experience in this area, also. My daughter had three major heart surgeries as an infant. Those were some very difficult times. I took up woodworking partly as a way to keep my mind off the stress. Now, a few years later, she's doing great and I've got an enjoyable hobby.
IMHO, you may be surprised at how strong and resilient people can be.
Best wishes, Nate