OT: the wife's surgery

Page 2 of 4
Well Michael McIntyre, you are my friend for better or worse. I and a whole bunch of other folks here are here to listen and do what we can.     mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Hah, worse! Definitely worse! You really need to get out more and stop hanging with geeks like me. :)

Can somebody tell me how to do laundry?
OK, let me back up. I can do laundry. Mom can do laundry. Mom has even volunteered to come up and do the laundry. But Mom taught me how to do laundry, and my wife absolutely HATES the way I do laundry. So I need to ignore what Mom says and do this thing the true fluffy bunny Good Housekeeping way, with all the extra settings and fluids and powders and whatnots.
I think dumping everything in one big load is the wrong place to start. :)
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:01:50 -0500, Silvan

Well, geek to geek, I've been praying for you and your wife.

I dunno, works for me.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

We appreciate it. I'm printing out all of these messages for her. Even the ones from Larry. It's a get well card that has to be bound because a stapler isn't quite beefy enough to handle the load.

It worked perfectly well for me too until I got married.
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:22:55 -0500, Silvan

Chunk of tubafore and an 1/8 x 1" crown staple oughta do the trick.

It works again now that the mfgrs have put color-safe bleach in the detergent. I also use Simple Green in the wash at times. It helps with scents you don't want, like that splash of Oops! or dollop of caulking, or...
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Larry Jaques wrote:

Nah, that's why I bought a comb binding machine. If I can't get a staple through it, off to the binder it goes.

shellac stains...
Well, Mom the laundry fairy had the machines making swhooshing and thumping noises when I got home from l'hopital today, so I guess I don't have to worry about it yet. Thanks Mom!
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:28:04 -0500, Silvan

Aren't moms great?
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

Yup. She helped me get the tree down and put away all 437,651 ornaments and pieces of both tiers of the Christmas Village. She's a good woman.
She's kept us fed a lot too.
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:01:50 -0500, Silvan

As a confirmed bachelor of 51 years, I can do that.

OK, separate the pure whites from the rest. Separate the lacy ladies (and crossdresser's) undergarments from the colored load. That gives you 3 separate loads unless she has a frail garmet bag to load the lacy stuff in. Start the washer, put the correct amount of detergent-with-color-safe-bleach in (up to the inner line on the cap for liquid laundry detergent/whatever portion of a cupful for powdered), then add the white clothes. Hmm, wifey might use a softener at some time during the load, too. RTFM for the washer and see where and when to put that in. Some allow preloading, others beep at you to put it in. Once they're done, put them in the dryer. Cleand the lint trap first, add an anti-static sheet, and dry on the Wash'n'Wear setting. Whatever you do, don't use the Satanic Heat setting. It will make everything turn Japanese-size, as in "Honey, I shrunk the laundry.", something no housewife ever wants to hear again.
On second thought, let Mom do it and let HER take the heat when wifey gets home and sees the mess.

Right. I keep a pair of pink, blue, and white undies (one pair, tie-dye look) in my underwear drawer to remind me that I shouldn't mix loads any more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Larry Jaques wrote:

:)

Do racing stripes count as colors? :)

If she does, I don't know what it looks like.

Beep? Washers BEEP now? I musta bought a crappy one. It's a Fridga Tagmore or something. It has a ball for this purpose. I cleaned it out while she was in the hospital last time, so I know all about that. It was blocked with a little hunk of wood. Wonder how that got in there?

"Wash'n'Wear" huh? I don't have a setting by that name. No Satanic Heat either. I've been using "Automatic Regular." It's supposed to have some kind of fuzzy logic CPU to figure out when the clothes are dry and save you energy by stopping early, but I have to dry everything 47 times before it gets dry, and I don't think that automatic dooflatchie has ever stopped a cycle short either. (Actually three times for towels and stuff, twice for most other things, once for 1/4 load of socks. It never has dried worth a damn, and no, there's nothing wrong with the ducts and stuff.)

Better plan.

:) I washed a red shirt with the socks and underwear in our first weeks of marriage. That's why I'm forbidden to touch these machines ever again.
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:21:10 -0500, Silvan

only if they were there before you wore them..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

A lot of stuff doesn't have to go in the dryer anyway-- just hang it up someplace where the air can circulate and it's dry in a couple of hours. The exception is cotton (typically towels, socks, underwear, and the occasional cotton shirt, and denim jeans if you wear those). Skip the automatic setting (which probably doesn't work anyway) and put it in a nice long cycle on medium heat.
Even the cotton stuff would probably air-dry overnight. You can still buy collapsible drying racks for something like $20. Operating cost is $0.
Washing machines are actually easier at the laundromat-- they have either a knob or a row of buttons with labels like "whites", "colors", "permanent press", and "delicate", which gives you a clue about what to put in each load (maybe they know a lot of their customers are single guys :-). No other settings. Everything I own is either "whites" or "colors".
I'm off to the laundromat right now...
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:31:07 -0800, Larry Jaques

And watch those temps ! Only the heavy-duty whites should go on hot, while the rest should go on warm/warm or warm/cold (wash/rinse)
GregP wrote:

I'll add that your wife will bless you if you air dry everything that's either Nylon or elastic/stretchy (like bras and pantyhose.) As we all know, it was for drying these items that show curtain rods were invented. ;-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

The bras and the pantyhose go in the mesh bags, not together. Might even want to put them in with the appropriate color/white load. DON'T use the dryer on them. Call me if this is a serious thread and I'll talk you through it.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Har! That's a good one. A help line for isolated men needing washing and dryer machine support. I'm sure there could be a promising future in it for you Dave. :)
Upscale wrote:

Nah, I'm too busy with my non-compliant patients (redundancy), this is kinds a one-time offer under special circumstances.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

We don't have a mesh bag, and I'm positive she always puts her bras in the dryer. Probably why I'm always having to fix the mangled hooks, right?
I'm not much worried about bras. She won't be wearing one for a long time, I don't imagine. It's hard holding those things up, and bras are really uncomfortable on her. If ever there was a candidate for breast reduction...
Juan Hung Lowe's Drive through laundry and taco stand! They do it cheap!!!

Bullwinkle J. Moose wrote:

Didn't he write "Trail in the Sand"?