OT: Sort of Should I salvage my dryer motor

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:50:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Make one of those fighting robots with it.

Certainly. All kinds of ways, naysayers notwithstanding, of mounting it. Plumbers tape, straps, homebrew cutouts.
It'll power mandrels for grinding or buffing just fine. Out of the way below the dust, too. Drum sanders, flex shafts, graywater pumps for the garden - uses are endless.
I don't have any large power tools YET . My large pieces are a bench top table saw, drill press, scroll saw and router table but I do plan on expanding as soon as my money flow's with a bit more regularity. Here is my question. I have an old Kenmore dryer that is destined for the dump should I salvage and store the motor for future use ? If so what would it be useful for ? I know the question is a bit broad but I sure don't want to get rid of something I could use later. Puff Griffis

Definitely save it, you must have a friend that has a squeaky clean shop with no clutter that gives you a rough time about all the junk you collect everytime he comes over. He will likely be over to ask you if you have an old motor eventually.
--
http://doit101.com

I don't have any large power tools YET . My large pieces are a bench top table saw, drill press, scroll saw and router table but I do plan on expanding as soon as my money flow's with a bit more regularity. Here is my question. I have an old Kenmore dryer that is destined for the dump should I salvage and store the motor for future use ? If so what would it be useful for ? I know the question is a bit broad but I sure don't want to get rid of something I could use later.
"If I had it I would"...make a metal cover for it, get a fan for it if it doesn't have one, set it up bolted to a bench top or on a wooden base with a step V-pulley on the shaft belted to a raised mandrel on a block, on which is another V-pulley. Then set up a wooden T-track on which is a tail stock and make a small wood lathe, or no tail stock and make a bowl lathe. Then there are accessories to buy that attach to the spindle. The hight of the mandrel determines the swing distance. Another option is, the mandrel can hold grinding and buffing discs at the same time as being a lathe. But, if you use it definitely make a dust cover for it, bolted down around it on the same mounting base. With the fan attached I would be getting hot air out of the motor so as not to be blowing saw dust into it. But I don't have the space in which to do any of it, just my thoughts on the idea, hence the quotes.
Alex
OK, like I said before. I hear all these suggestions about covers and mounts. Give it a look. If you can place it in service without a major project, by all means. Am I in an unusual situation? I've had a number of folks give me motors that are ready to go. 1/3 hp and 1/4 hp motors are a dime a dozen. Don't waste your time augmenting one that's not immediately suitable. You've got better things to do with your time unless this is a real tour 'de force.
bob g.
AAvK wrote:

I was NOT talking to you. no on was either. You don't like, call the cops about it.
Alex

drill press, scroll saw and router table but I do plan on expanding as soon as my money flow's with a bit more regularity. Here is my question. I have an old Kenmore dryer that is destined for the dump should I salvage and store the motor for future use ? If so what would it be useful for ? I know the question is a bit broad but I sure don't want to get rid of something I could use later.

if the motor runs true (no wobble in the shaft) and quiet by all means salvage it. ya never know when you might decide to build yourself a lathe or bench grinder or something.
Thank you all for the responses. Sad thing JT didn't mention using it as a lawn ornament. Puff
I don't have any large power tools YET . My large pieces are a bench top table saw, drill press, scroll saw and router table but I do plan on expanding as soon as my money flow's with a bit more regularity. Here is my question. I have an old Kenmore dryer that is destined for the dump should I salvage and store the motor for future use ? If so what would it be useful for ? I know the question is a bit broad but I sure don't want to get rid of something I could use later. Puff Griffis
Thank you all for the responses. Sad thing JT didn't mention using it as a lawn ornament. Puff
What are you going to do with it? What's your favorite idea, out of all the suggestions? (BTW no doubt more will come)
Alex
I am thinking about a sanding station. I should be able to make one with a little effort. Puff

lawn ornament.

the suggestions?

Over the years, I've grabbed a few motors from the trash (dryer and others). Even got chased out of the dump doing this.
One of the most useful machines in my shop is a wire wheel powered by one of these rescued motors. Start by cleaning the rust off things and new uses will evolve.
Bill Leonhardt
Mon, Oct 18, 2004, 2:34am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net (PuffGriffis) says: Thank you all for the responses. Sad thing JT didn't mention using it as a lawn ornament.
It was essential that "you" contribute to the list of uses.
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker

drill press, scroll saw and router table but I do plan on expanding as soon as my money flow's with a bit more regularity. Here is my question. I have an old Kenmore dryer that is destined for the dump should I salvage and store the motor for future use ? If so what would it be useful for ? I know the question is a bit broad but I sure don't want to get rid of something I could use later.

If the motor runs and doesn't need work/parts, pull it out..
Lots of free plans on the web for building your own disk sander, buffing wheel, etc...