OT - Snowblower on a packed gravel drive

Page 2 of 3

snow? what's that? and why would you want to blow on it?
Bridger, in Tucson, where we are getting chilly nights down into the 40s.
Thu, Dec 13, 2007, 7:41pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com doth sayeth: <snip> Bridger, in Tucson, where we are getting chilly nights down into the 40s.
74 here today, in central NC, and supposed to get down to 54 tonight. We have trees and grass too.
J T wrote:

You have grass? I had grass. Now I have dirt.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in doth sayeth:

I too traded my grass for dirt in one part of the yard. Grew tomatoes there.
Puckdropper

Fri, Dec 14, 2007, 9:30am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: I too traded my grass for dirt in one part of the yard. Grew tomatoes there.
Who taught you how to garden? Dan Quayle?
If you want to get a really great yield, try a raised bed. That's a garden bed.
(Puckdropper)

Psst! That's how it's spelled.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (Puckdropper)

Raised beds are more work than planting more plants. First I'd have to build a retaining wall of some kind, then fill the thing up with dirt, good quality top soil for my plants. After that, maybe you start getting some of the benefit of the raised bed, but now you're limited to that size. Want another row of beans? Build another bed.
I'm talking a real garden here, not a little window box for three plants.
Puckdropper

We built 14 acres of raised beds on my brother-in-law's Organic CSA farm.
Even with a backhoe, it sucked...

You can crowd a raised bed pretty tight, raising an amazing amount of produce in a small space. But you're at the hand work level automatically. I like the tractor for my soil preparation, my wheeled cultivator for weed control, and the ability to walk around rather than lean to pick the peas. Even watering, if it has to be done, only takes a drip hose at the roots of a row crop.
Besides, what good's a garden if you don't grow enough zucchini to causse your neighbors to slink away when they see you coming?
Sat, Dec 15, 2007, 1:14am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: <snip> I'm talking a real garden here, not a little window box for three plants.
I tried a raised bed garden once, for my wife (ex), who wanted to grow a few. Scrap.plywood, box aroun 2 X 3 feet. Damn plants wound up about 6 feet tall, full of large fruit. Wound up giving away all we cound, and still threw some away. Even three plants would probably have been overkill.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

I have 8 inches of fresh white topsoil with more due to arrive Saturday. Y'all suck.
--John
I have an uncle that lives near Boston. His favorite saying is that he is going to tie his snowblower to the front of his pickup truck and keep driving south until someone asked him "What the heck is that?". There he would retire.<g>
Skip www.ShopFileR.com
doth

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:41:42 -0500, "Skip Williams"

Consider that borrowed!
Fri, Dec 14, 2007, 12:06am mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com (MortimerSchnerd,RN) doth sayeth: You have grass? I had grass. Now I have dirt.
I 'had' grass. Quit mowing it in '84. Now I have trees.
Fri, Dec 14, 2007, 12:06am mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com (Mortimer Schnerd, RN) doth sayeth: You have grass? I had grass. Now I have dirt.
I 'had' grass. Quit mowing it in '84. Now I have trees.
...and a '64 Chevy on concrete blocks in there somewhere.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Dec 13, 11:40 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

And all kind of Extreme hot, sticky and wet weather. I'll stick to a few snowstorms and a bit of cold weather, thank you. Used to shovel snow on a gravel driveway. Few years ago took the hit and paved. Best home improvement investment ever.
Fri, Dec 14, 2007, 5:19am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth sayeth: And all kind of Extreme hot, sticky and wet weather. <snip>
You're thinking of Florida.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Thought you had headed out to California?
Having to turn on the heater to take the chill out of the shop because of that low 40's temperature.

last trip to Ca. was to haul back some arn. traded in my powermatic table saw and got a rockwell 12/14, a rockwell 16" radial arm saw and a davis and wells horizontal mortiser.
I did sell my house on the south side, though. bought one in the old neighborhood, a few blocks from my Mom's house. kind of interesting to be back- a lot has changed, but a lot is the same, too.
at the moment all of my machinery is in storage while I build the new shop. this time I'm doing a few things better- floor outlets, dust collection under the slab- hoping to even get an overhead trolley in before too long.