OT - Snowblower on a packed gravel drive

Sat, Dec 15, 2007, 1:14am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: I'm talking a real garden here, not a little window box for three plants.

I tried a raised bed garden once, for my wife (ex), who wanted to grow a few. Scrap.plywood, box aroun 2 X 3 feet. Damn plants wound up about 6 feet tall, full of large fruit. Wound up giving away all we cound, and still threw some away. Even three plants would probably have been overkill.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Sat, Dec 15, 2007, 8:07am snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net (Mike=A0Marlow) dothclaimeth: ..and a '64 Chevy on concrete blocks in there somewhere.

Nope. But I do have a '78 El Camino, on four wheels, with a built

307, that I'm gonna drive to town in a bit. And the same on Sun, Mon, Tue, et al.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Speaking of PM, kid next door has been shovelling my drive for years. This year he's got a real job so he's not doing that anymore. So tried to start the snowblower and it cranked and cranked and nothing happened. Last time I ran it I didn't run it dry and didn't put fuel stabilizer in it (I think that that was the year that I had to go out of town on an emergency that lasted until after the last snowfall). Never overhauled a Tecumseh carb before. Can't say I much like the design of the thing--idle screw is placed so that you're guaranteed to burn your hand on the exhaust for one thing.

He's been mowing the lawn too so come spring I probably get to overhaul the carb on the lawn mower.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sat, Dec 15, 2007, 7:18pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) laments: Never overhauled a Tecumseh carb before.

Try this instead.

do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

No, that's not it; it's the darned pieces of bodies that keep popping up through it. They plug the auger, chute, the whole thing. The headstones so far have all been wooden ones.

Reply to
Twayne

Oh hell - that's easy to fix. Just run the lawn mower over the driveway before snowblowing - set on the lowest setting. That prep's the drive nicely. Oh yeah - in case you're one of those who thinks that if a little is good, more must be better - don't get it into your head that if the lawn mower does a good job, the roto-tiller must do a better job...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

We're in the middle of an ice storm.

By the looks if it, a roto-tiller will do a better job on this stuff than the snowblower.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

last trip to Ca. was to haul back some arn. traded in my powermatic table saw and got a rockwell 12/14, a rockwell 16" radial arm saw and a davis and wells horizontal mortiser.

I did sell my house on the south side, though. bought one in the old neighborhood, a few blocks from my Mom's house. kind of interesting to be back- a lot has changed, but a lot is the same, too.

at the moment all of my machinery is in storage while I build the new shop. this time I'm doing a few things better- floor outlets, dust collection under the slab- hoping to even get an overhead trolley in before too long.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I'm north of you and it's just snow for the moment. But a shitload of it. I've shovelled twice and expect another couple before dark. And that's just to the woodsheds and shop. The rest of the slogging will come when (if) it lets up. I live on a small lake, and can't see the other side, which is only about

300yards.
Reply to
Tanus

Cool.

Can see where an overhead trolley could be pretty handy.

Be sure to post pictures when you get done.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Have Mel call the military..LOL

Oh stop your whining...LOL Sarnia is getting a dusting too

Robatoy

I have a 4x4 Silverado and the house is about half a mile from the main road. Just after I posted, I decided to run out to see if I could. If it was too heavy, tomorrow was gonna be a snow day. Transfer cases were dragging and there was one hill/curve combo that nearly stopped me. I got out and back in but wouldn't do it again.

Snow plow just arrived (private road - private plowing) and that same run would be much easier. BUT - this doesn't look like it's letting up anytime soon. And another 10-15 cm forecast. It may be a snow day yet, tomorrow.

Reply to
Tanus

Must be fun when the ice melts...does the basement get a little wet?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

John E.

Reply to
John E.

Gotta watch what I say. That's the second time this week.

But ...no basement.....so if the house were on the lake, I'd either be floating.....or not...then I'd be living in the lake. For a short period of time.

I"m sure SWMBO would have something to say about that.

Reply to
Tanus

Whoa, Tanus, Dude! I see you may have gotten a little more snow than I expected. The whole snowy mess kinda made a sweep towards you... My Gatineau friend assures me that he also got an assload of the white shit.

Just can't trust them there satellite thangs....

Reply to
Robatoy

LOL!

Reply to