Glue Joint Failed Today

First time that happened - with good glue anyway. Am in the last stages of putting together my latest router jig, the one for routing chess pieces. Went to the shop to trim of excess, and to cut a few more pieces to size that need to be glued on.

Trimmed a bit off the body of the jig, set it down, it broke. I broke my jig. LOL I had glued some stacked pieces of 1/2" ply as a center splacer. It was one of those joints that failed. I looked at th e pieces, and apparently what happened was I put glue on one side, and just smeared a tiny bit on the other side, then clamped. There was enough glue to pull wood off the glued to piece, but only in a few spots. Way glue starved apparently, from the very start. I was wiping excess glue off with my finger, and I guess I swiped that across the piece I wanted to glue to get the glue off my finger, and didn't add more. I guess from now on I'll have to be more careful, and just wipe my gluey fingers on my pants. Ah well, it wouldn't have been ready until tomorrow anyway, so no time lost.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

"J T" wrote

Make that "pants leg" ... IOW, be careful which itch you scratch. Glue on a zipper can hinder an urgent evacuation.

Reply to
Swingman

Thu, Dec 13, 2007, 7:23pm (EST-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) Make that "pants leg" ... IOW, be careful which itch you scratch. Glue on a zipper can hinder an urgent evacuation.

No prob. I've lost a bit of weight, and wear suspenders, no belt. Makes it very simple, and fast, to drop trou. LMAO By the way, can you guess how I found out latex paint is a great textile paint? LOL

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

The glue set enough to check if it would hold my two test pieces. Broke a spacer. Actually the center spacer is a piece of plywood about

1/2" X 1/2", not as wide as the others. I couldn't find the other piece, and anyway there'll be a flat piece about 2" X 4" glued on top, which will provide the strength.

Anyway, cranked up the pressure with the cam clamp, and popped that piece, right thru one layer of wood. Those cam clamps can crank up a lot more pressure than a lot of people think. As soon as the blue sets enough to take the clmp off I'll glue the top piece on, then the other parts, and it'll be done. This jig is actually going to be kinda elegent. Always nice to make something like this that looks decent besides works just like I'd planned.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Do you know how funny that sounds to a Brit? Are you a lumberjack, by any chance? ;-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

No. He's far from OK.

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

Fri, Dec 14, 2007, 8:08am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (Bob=A0Martin) doth query: Do you know how funny that sounds to a Brit? Are you a lumberjack, by any chance?

Ah, you're referring to one of the differences between the English languag, and 'Murican. And, no, I'm not a lumberjack. And if there's any Brit ladies out there, I'll be more than happy to help you with any suspender problems.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Fri, Dec 14, 2007, 1:16pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (FoggyTown) doth sayeth: No. He's far from OK.

If you want help with your suspenders don't ask me.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

that's woodworking for ya.