OT. Small motor

Page 2 of 2
On 1/19/2013 8:23 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Not sure if 9.5 ohms is indicative of a short in the windings or not, but with everything you've told us, I suspect it is. I'd go out and check against a small motor here but the shop is in the garage and temperature is falling like a rock right now. I'd rather stay inside by MY wood stove.<g>
Short in the winding is different from a short to ground. The latter is going to blow the fuse or trip the breaker, the former should heat it up as instead of having 2000' of wire in the windings, the "short" will, in effect, shorten the total length of the windings.
At least that's my understanding of it. We have enough electricians hanging around here that if I'm all wet, they'll hose me down and let me hold a plugged in toaster as they do so<g>
On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 14:42:16 -0500, Keith Nuttle wrote:

One thing to consider, If the fan is running with a less restricted air flow on your bench it will be loaded heavier than if the flow is somewhat restricted, more flow, more load, more amps, more heat...
Sounds counterintuitive but a blocked fan will draw the least amount of current.
basilisk
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 08:09:28 -0700, basilisk wrote

Almost guaranteed to be a shaded pole motor. Basically bullet proof but prone to the bushings on the rotor getting scummy.
-Bruce
"Bruce" wrote:

Most likely an "air over", fan duty motor.
IOW, depends on the driven fan to provide the cooling air for the motor.
Engineered for application specific duty cycle as a throw away device.
Lew