OT: Separate hot and cold valves on kitchen taps save energy.

I can't see that running cooling loops for hot water would offer any savings over tanked water heaters, energywise. But it'd save water instead of electricity or gas.
Which is higher in your house, gas/elec bill or water? I'll bet water is cheaper almost everywhere, but it is more valuable.
I'm surprised that lawns haven't been banned. Wouldn't that be nice? No more mowing, feeding, greening, weeding, mower noise and cost, etc.
-- Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects. --anon

You have my vote. Besides I have seen some excellent trends in rock and shrubbery projects replacing lawns. Many of those are because the Province has outlawed weedkiller fertilizers. Thank goodness we're still allowed our banana trees.
On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 19:54:38 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Can you still use RoundUp or weed killer sprays? It's fertilizers I'd have banned, were I King. Maybe it's because the weed'n'feed crap doesn't work well at killing anything that they outlawed it. Nitrogen runoff from those things is causing algae bloom everywhere.
I'm waiting for my copy of my sister's friend's book about doing away with lawns. I don't know if it's published yet. Until then, I have a copy of _The Wild Lawn Handbook_.

Yeah, where would you be without those dear things?
This just in from email:
WORLD SURVEY BY PHONE
Last month a world-wide survey was conducted by the UN.
It had one question: "Would you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the food shortage in the rest of the world?"
The survey was a huge failure because of the following:
1. In Eastern Europe they didn't know what "honest" meant.
2. In Western Europe they didn't know what "shortage" meant.
3. In Africa they didn't know what "food" meant.
4. In China they didn't know what "opinion" meant.
5. In the Middle East they didn't know what "solution" meant.
6. In South America they didn't know what "please" meant.
7. In the USA they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant.
8. In UK they hung up as soon as they heard the Indian accent.

========Wife and I both had a good laugh over that one!
--
Eric

"Larry Jaques" wrote:

They are finally getting that idea in place for your old stomping grounds of SoCal which is little more than a paved desert.
Green grass in the English country side is one thing, in the desert SW, quite another.
Water rationing for lawns is in place as well as inncentives to rip out grass and return to the native SW ground covers.
Lew

============== I am growing "Eco-Grass" . It's a bitch to get going, especially in thunderstorms that wash out 20-30 yards of topsoil down the ditch, and it take about two years to look decent, but with it's 9-12" deep roots it is drought proof, mostly weed proof and needs to be mowed about every three weeks, only, and it really looks good with a nice fine blade.. Trouble is the weeds like to stick up much higher and much faster so you mow anyway. Biggest trick is to ditch the Kentucky Blue Grass = high maintenance, lots of weeds and dies in a drought quite quickly, tooted as the highest cost ground cover invented. (I never liked that Blue Grass noise either)
--
Eric

[snipped]

THAT's an automatic suspension.
Eric wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

BINGO! There is absolutely no reason they should cost that much, so it must be the word "green" attached to them.
If it's medical, dental, industrial, governmental, or green, the price automatically doubles or triples. Feh!
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

I love the tankless hot water heater I've got to run the sink in the model train shop. It's always ready to go, and never runs out of hot water on me. I've got a 5 gallon tank in the garage that doesn't even last long enough to wash my hands.
When that 5 gallon unit dies (watch it last 15 years), I'm going to another instant hot unit.
Do we still need 1 water heater per house? With smaller instant hots, the demand could be supplied at or near the point-of-use, meaning no waiting for hot water.
Puckdropper
On 06 Jun 2011 11:33:00 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

You should be turning off the faucet while you scrub. Then it would last. Ditto the shower. Ideally, all shower heads should have a shutoff valve so you could rinse, shut off the water, soap up your hair and bod, then turn on and rinse. It would save at least half the water that is normally used/wasted.
I try to take Navy showers, soaping the front while the back rinses, and I'm outta there in 3 minutes.

Goodonya, mate.

No, it's wasteful.

Yes, that would save billions of gallons of fresh water annually in the U.S. alone.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

You should be turning off the faucet while you scrub. Then it would last. Ditto the shower. Ideally, all shower heads should have a shutoff valve so you could rinse, shut off the water, soap up your hair and bod, then turn on and rinse. It would save at least half the water that is normally used/wasted.
I try to take Navy showers, soaping the front while the back rinses, and I'm outta there in 3 minutes.

Goodonya, mate.

No, it's wasteful.

Yes, that would save billions of gallons of fresh water annually in the U.S. alone.
=============== Where will the wasted water go?
Where is it saved?
--
Eric

And this takes what, 3 sailors to do properly?
On 6/6/11 11:39 AM, Robatoy wrote:

You beat me to it!
--

-MIKE-

Nahh, just takes one watch tending the condenser.
Navy rule--you've got three minutes of water to take a shower. Reason being that the water purification capaibility of a Navy ship is limited.
On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:39:10 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Eek! No, I live and shower alone. But thanks for sharing your risque fantasies with us, Toy. (What triggers it, all those bananas? ;)
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Hot water often has an off taste to it. I'm sticking with cold.
Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

the pot? The pasta is put in the pot when it is boiling.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 6/5/11 3:07 PM, willshak wrote:

What does that have to do with taste? The bad taste from water heaters comes from the crud that is stagnant inside them, not anything that would be killed by boiling the water.
--

-MIKE-

Yes, it can and does.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim