OT: restoring a computer MS way

Page 2 of 3
RE: Subject
Not to swift when it comes to puters, but have found the following works for me.
Most of the programs I use provide a way to get to DOS.
Once in DOS, the following command line works for me:
dos "xcopy d:\checks\*.* F:\checks /s /v /m" end 1
where CHECKS is a directory and F: is front of puter plug in thumb drive.
SFWIW, "F" is a backup of a backup.
Simple, but it works for me and is current.
Lew
On 5/24/2014 12:45 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I use external hard drives, so I keep multiple backups and have versioning.
Thanks.
My data is safe, my restore is not. I did not know MS tied their backup to the firmware. I had read how finally MS got there shit together on backups and tried it.. it worked on the same computer... didn't know it would not transfer to the same model w/diff firmware.
The data fortunately is still there. But I can't restore an image. I have some very important databases out there, and it means I must build from scratch and then restore them... just a big pain in the ass.
All at a time, when the town contacted me and wants to audit my volleyball records.
--
Jeff

On Fri, 23 May 2014 21:45:37 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

And xxcopy works even better - and is also free.
On Fri, 23 May 2014 21:45:37 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Be *very* careful with that. I don't know about W7 but in earlier versions of Win, XCOPY totally screwed the short->long file name translations.

Actually if you are connected to the internet you are a target. And that goes up significantly if you use Windows.
On 05/24/2014 05:04 AM, Leon wrote:

The Chinese government banned the use of Windows 8 on any government hardware. They said any other OS would do...
On Friday, May 23, 2014 8:32:57 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

Two things:
You can call MS Tech Support and get a good Key (I had to do that each time I upgraded my hardware on my copy of XP, )
You can move to Mac and be done with the hassle of playing with MS, but you r expenses go up
The third, and for me the best, option is to move to Linux, you do not have the hassle of dealing with MS and you get all the security of Mac (actuall y even more) without the expense.
The following is no indorsement, but purely personal preference
Ubuntu, and its many spin offs, is much to cumbersome and has a "Tool Set" (read Control Panel in MS) that is both difficult to use and somewhat limit ed.
Fedora (Red Hat's user version) is even worse at being user friendly than U buntu
PCLinusOS is not the largest distro out there, but I love its Tool Set.
Whatever one any of you decides to look at, they all have a "LiveCD," (whic h you can install from, so you do not need to do two downloads) which you c an download, burn to a CD/DVD, load, run, look at, evaluate and decide, wit hout ever having written anything to your HD. If you like it, install it. If not, circular file.
Just a thought
Deb
On 5/24/2014 8:05 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

I know Sketchup can be run under WINE, but would be interested in hearing anyone's experience in doing so.
Also plugins would probably have to be modified since Ruby's text format is different than Unix, IIRC?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/24/2014 9:05 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

I am a unix/linux guy. But I still use MS. Just way more available. The problem with Linux is that there are too many distros. Originally everyone thought it would solve the UNIX flavor problem. But every company and every body and their brothers, sisters and idiot brothers decided to do it differently. And to some extent that has killed Linux.. The original goal is gone..
Stuff that works on one distro doesn't work on the other. I can't be bothered ... My son loves Linux.. But even he keeps a copy of MS around because he knows it's a necessary evil... Either that or Apple, and he does not like Apple.
--
Jeff

But you need to be a "high interest target" for one of those institutions to invest the time and resources to "plant" one of those devices on your computer - and technically, when one is planted in your computer you ARE connected.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I have doubts about the cloud company's proprietary software restoring something like a server's active directory.
--

Reply in group, but if emailing, add a zero and remove the last word.

On 5/28/2014 12:04 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Finally got my computer restored.
Two things were problematic.
First MS install failed to install UEFI on the first install. Even though all partitions GPT were removed.
And I hit a bug, that I got a new file and it solved my problem.
Now fully restored from my backup... Cool.
--
Jeff

On 5/28/2014 11:41 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Assuming you are back up and running 5 days after the original post, I still believe a clean reinstall is faster and less problematic.
On 5/28/2014 10:32 PM, Leon wrote:

Not in my case. I had certain things that would have cost me to re-license, also some complex items that had inter dependencies and would not register correctly. I did not have the exports of those items needed to rebuild them.The export would provide the way to get back even with different keys ... But without the logical export I had would have to use the original keys, which would not match the current install.
I had done a fresh install, and was striking out trying to get some things working. Just too many gotchas.
Being un-employed I can't afford to buy the software that I already paid once for. Some companies allow you to continue to download older software, but some don't, requiring you to purchase the latest version... so I was screwed. I could not find all the original downloads and installers. I thought I kept them, but was not able to find them all, could be I didn't recognize the name of the installer package.
I was able to move to my wife's laptop for a while, basic stuff mail, MS office, but I didn't even try to get my cygwin (ksh,bash) shells/X stuff running, knowing I didn't want to modify everything twice.
You don't realize how much customization and unlocking of things I have done too. That takes quite some time to do. This is all manual. I could not remember all of those. I rebuilt my xp system over and over from scratch... I had the safety of a ghost system to get me out of trouble. And I could rip through a fresh install and customize most of it within a few hours. With W7 it's a little different. Some things are hidden in less obvious places. And it takes quite a bit to unlock them. In the few days on my wife's W7 I still hadn't been in a comfortable mode. I probably should build a registry file to modify many of the individual registry changes.. I did that for some of the xp stuff. But have not for the WIN7 system.
I disable tons of MS stuff, services and stuff that are not necessary. Its a pain to go through this just to get a fresh install. I don't need it. I operate very efficiently most of the time. Do you realize how many services are running that you don't need or use?
I have some free software too that I use. For 2 of them the new versions don't do the same thing as the old versions. For some reason some of the features were removed. I kept trying to figure out how to get back to a feature in one of the programs. Never found a way to turn it on.. well in the old, it's just there, no way to turn it on/off. The new version... it's not there. I use these features.
I am installing new drivers for this laptop, as some are now out of date with the new hardware.
No this was a win win restoring. First I am back to a very comfortable env. 2nd, I won't be worried about something that's not working later. 3rd, I have my dbs up and running, so I didn't lose my data, and now that the town wants to audit me for vb that's welcome.
And I now know how to get it back for next time. Now if I want to start from scratch, no problem, I have a way to get back.
--
Jeff

It's taken me five days (or more) to do a clean install, by the time I got everything working and tested, but it's never taken me more than a couple of hours to do a restore from a backup. That would piss me off, no end.

Well the reason that it took 5 days was that I lost 3 days while I went to my sons graduation from college.
Magna cum Laude... in computer science. A chip off the old block.
So that was Fri, Sat, Sunday lost. I forgot to mention that in previous posts.
The big problem was that I needed an update, once I had that the restore worked. But I had to rebuild the o/s again, since the first time MS did not partition the GPT partitions for some reason... no idea why it skipped that process.
--
Jeff

On 5/29/2014 9:06 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Well you get a pass. ;~) You can't count those days. And a great reason to be away.

LOL. My son was Suma cum Laude in accountancy. He is my retirement plan. ;~)

It is always something and your situation was one of many possible problems that can crop up. The last time I had a successful full recovery from a backup was when the back up and restore began at the c:/ prompt. That was way before Win 95. I wonder how many 3.5" floppies it would take to back up 150 Gig? LOL

I guess it is a matter of whether you are prepared to do a clean reinstall or not.
I have obliviously thought this out. I was never ever confident that I could restore anything/the OS and data after a back up. There was always something that might come up. Like the need for a totally new computer. I just did not want to put the time in it any more.
So I keep a copy of all of my program install files and data on a separate HD and all of that gets backed up to iDrive, I used to use Carbonite.
I did do a complete clean reinstall back in Feb~March, a new SSD Primary drive, and it took me 2 days to get back to where I wanted to be and working at my leisure.
AND I had a relatively clean set up again.
What would piss me off to no end is to reinstall an image and it not work for what ever of a hundred reasons, and still might have the problem that caused the need to do this in the first place.

Probably more disks than AOL mailed out!
Can you imagine how long it will take? It'll probably be faster just to print out the bit patterns on a modern laser printer and scan them in again. *g*
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Well, these days, the replacement for a floppy is a flash drive or maybe two. I just bought a 128gb flash drive for a friend ~ $60.00.