OT: restoring a computer MS way

Page 1 of 3
So I can't easily restore my computer.
MS in it's infinite wisdom reads that the firmware is different and won't restore. NICE!!!
So back to building from scratch. I can get the files back, it will restore that part.
The disk from the old computer is gone, it would not read it in the new computer. What I might do is stick the new disk in the old computer and see if using a monitor I can get it booted. If so, I might try restoring to that computer and move it back to the new computer.
All this will have to wait until I get back from my sons graduation Monday or Tuesday.
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

housing connected to a usb port and restored a complete disk to it using an Acronis backup which was on another external disk. In other words would clone a new disk from the backup files. This was a few years back and I no longer use Acronis because of other issues.
--
 GW Ross

 We are not a clone.

(not electronic fuel injection - extensible firmware Interface) which is part and parcel of the Globaly Unit IDentifier (GUID) standard and GPT (GUID Partition Table) spec that allows you to excede 2tb per partition.
I've found I can clone a complete drive with certain software (run from bootable CD or stick) but I have not been able to image partitions and restore them with any of 5 or 6 products I have tried. Will try to image the complete drive and see what happens.
The EFI and system (c:) partitions alone just will NOT restore.
On 5/23/2014 12:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Exactly
--
Jeff

On 5/23/2014 8:32 AM, woodchucker wrote:

FWIW I save and back up data only and on a different drive. I back that data up on the cloud.
I used to subscribe to the notion of having an image but stepping back and looking at that I finally decided that I would rather spend the day and a half reinstalling the software on a clean disk, minus all the broken links, lost temp files, corrupt what ever, and so on.
Keeping your data on a separate disk relieves you from having to pick and choose what to back up, no program files mixed in. Backing only the data disk up to the cloud cuts down on what gets backed up.
If you keep a copy of all your program install software on your data disk also you can quickly reinstall the programs on the new/newly cleaned primary drive that the OS resides on.

your data - - - - -
On 5/23/2014 7:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well It is encrypted and password protected and anything can happen at any time with any one anywhere.
Perhaps the best bet is to have 4 or 5 copies at different locations.
But for my money and security a site that specializes in keeping copies of your data is probably much more of a good back up plan than keeping your data in house.
On 5/23/2014 8:59 PM, Leon wrote:

Yea like Clare says.
I don't trust anyone. I know what these clowns do... I'm in the business. They talk the security game, but so many times they have holes that a big oil tanker could come through.
The business usually has security in mind, but it's the people below that create bypasses because they don't like jumping through hoops every time.
I could explain one of the biggest ways I have seen, but I don't wish to describe it here. It's a back door that I often see someone put in so they don't have to go through a process.. But it creates a huge hole..
Trust.. Trust no one with your data.
I keep a thumb drive in the safe deposit box.. but even that is outdated. I also keep an external in the safe deposit box.. And that IS always way out of date.
The most important backup is one that is accessible. So I keep one at home..
--
Jeff

On 5/23/2014 9:22 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Understood, but I am not even a blip on the target. I played paranoid for many years and wasted more time than the data was worth.
On Fri, 23 May 2014 21:41:26 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Make 2 encrypted copies on external hard drives. Keep one at home and one at work, in your car, or in a bank safety deposit box.
On Fri, 23 May 2014 22:07:45 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The thing people forget about *any* backup scheme is that it has to be tested periodically. Just assuming that you can actually do a restore when needed is foolish.

computer business and I've learned there is no such thing as "computer security". The only secure computer is one that is not connected to ANYTHING else. The only secure data backup is one you have FULL control over, and then it is only as secure as you make it. There is also no such thing as a bulletproof backup. Test any backup before you trust it. Then find another method of backing up and prove it works too. When you have 2 you can trust - use them both. at least one copy of your data with each method.
On 5/23/2014 10:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Did any one mention bullet proof. I have already mentioned to hell with trying to keep a copy of the OS, as it becomes more corrupt with each day of use. I really do not want a copy of that.
And, My data is located in two different places, some in 3, on site and off site. I can live with that.
On 5/23/2014 11:54 PM, Leon wrote:

BTW, I do not do MS updates for the very reason. While I was on XP, my internet stopped working after an MS update. Could not get it working doing normal troubleshooting.
I had to do a GHOST restore.
Stopped all updates for a while.
This was the second time that something really went bad from an MS update. The first was even worse, but I can't remember what it was.
Now, I pick and chose what I need. BUT they are off.
Half the stuff MS pushes as critical are not. It's a matter of knowing what is and what is not. Not all security flaws are critical, if you don't use the components. For me I don't use IE or Outlook.
Every onces in a while I go through read the list, figure out what I need and don't and install the individual updates.
And yes your computer gets slower and slower with automatic updates. Not so much picking and chosing... A little, but much less noticeable.
--
Jeff

On 5/23/2014 10:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Don't believe that for a millisecond, like the key to your front door, security is relative. Nothing is, or ever has been, absolutely secure. There is no such thing security, connected or not.
There is indeed an ability to do an "air-gap hack", readily available and in use:
http://www.policymic.com/articles/79141/the-nsa-can-t-hack-you-if-you-don-t-have-internet-this-has-now-been-debunked
NSA's ANT division is capable of, and has implanted surveillance hardware and software in almost every piece of computer hardware, from USB plugs, to hard drives, to serial ports, plugs, mice, keyboards, etc, that will provide air-gap bridging from a totally unconnected computer.
DAGS "COTTONMOUTH-I" for starters:
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2014/03/cottonmouth-i_n.html
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/24/2014 7:35 AM, Swingman wrote:

Now you have done it, some here may shave to start memorizing their data and not use a computer at all for total security. ;~)
As you have said, it is all relative. The only true way to be secure is to never place your thoughts anywhere other than in you head. Don't use a recorder, computer, telephone, paper, etc., if you have something to hide.
But for the rest of us that don't have a photographic memory, what I said originally works for me. And yes it had been implemented, and used to replace the primary drive recently with out hours/years of preparing for that. Life is way too short for me to be worried about hiding something that really really is not likely to be viewed in a way that will cause me problems, if it were ever to be viewed unknowingly.
On 5/24/2014 9:02 AM, Leon wrote:

Not even that:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/technological-breakthrough-allows-scientists-read-mind-183724270.html
And this is just the second decade of the 21st century. Just wait. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/24/2014 9:12 AM, Swingman wrote:

I was waiting for some one to mention that. I keep all the data in my head encrypted. I store the password on my computer. ;~)
On 5/24/2014 9:18 AM, Leon wrote:

GIGO! <g,d&r>
And, the inevitable read/write errors go a long way to explaining why even the scorekeeper can't win a game of dominoes. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/24/14 6:35 AM, Swingman wrote:

Yup, The Chinese USB cables with the hacking hardware embedded in the cable plug header comes to mind.
-Bruce

--- ---