OT: Questions for Americans

Page 3 of 4
Charlie Self wrote:

http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html
I've heard about some people having success with this, never used it as I don't use Google Groups, as usual your mileage may vary.
--
Froz...

FrozenNorth wrote:

the GreaseMonkey extension from the above page, restart Firefox, then click on the link to the GG Kilefile script, it will ask you if you want to install it, say Yes.
In GG I saw links labelled 'Kill Thread' and 'Ignore User' littered throughout.
Be careful, have fun, and don't ignore yourself. ;-)
--
Froz...

I just tried it. I love it! Thanks again.
Charlie Self wrote:

Happy days are here again. ;-) You have taught me enough over my years of lurking, so it is only fair.
--
Froz...

I think I tried that before, but it's worth a second shot. Thanks.
In article <ad44e56a-c012-4bdb-bfb8-

You're a leftist.

Gee Charlie. That's just soo (il)liberal of you.
--
Keith

I'm still trying to figure out who makes less sense, or is a bigger dick, you or Charlie. It's close... awful close...
In article <bfeea9b5-c28d-4341-8c5c-

I see you can't stay out of this contest. Ok, you win!
-- Keith
: I'm still trying to figure out who makes less sense, or is a bigger : dick, you or Charlie.
    Size queen, eh?
    -- Andy Barss

DITTO DITTO

I would respond if I had some idea what you are talking about. I say : *IS* a bigger dick, not *HAS* a bigger dick (as *big* is unlikely anyway.)
krw wrote:
> snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com says...

I missed the "how" and "why" part of what you wrote, but do appreciate your attempt to be responsive.

Are you saying that is doesn't really so appear to me, or are you saying that granting immunity after the fact doesn't give the appearance that there was a need for immunity to be granted?

It does sometimes seem that way. Still, I'm managing to get just a bit closer to ANYTHING every day.
Sometimes asking questions helps - and sometimes it doesn't.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

How? Why? Conversations are protected by wiretap laws. Billing records are not. The phone company even has them. ;-)

There was a need to save them from the hordes of ambulance chasers that would have sued them senseless. Even if they won (who knows what a stupid jury would do - look at this thread) they'd be out millions in defense costs. Not much incentive to cooperate.

Progress is good. It beats the alternatives.

Sometimes the way a question is asked changes the form of the answer.
--
Keith

Makes me wonder what's being done that his "buddies" need protecting?
: What am I not understanding?
That if we don't blindly do everything the administration wants, and make sure to adjust laws as needed to make it all legal, then the Terrorists Will Have Already Won.
    -- Andy Barss

I am NOT a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, either <Grin. That's a joke>
That said.....
No laws have been "adjusted". It's been that way for a long, long time.
If a cop comes knocking at the door, you have the absolute right to refuse entry, but the fact is, most people wouldn't. If he has a warrant, you do not have the right of refusal. In fact, with some warrants, they really don't even have to knock first.
(Watch COPS sometime when they're on a drug bust. The cops will routinely knock once, scream out "police", and less than two seconds later hit the door with a battering ram.)
Well, the telco's were the same way. Telco's routinely supply police (even local police, much less the feds,) with telephone records. Been doing it for decades.
The dustup in Congress, was the provision to stop lawsuits against the telco's. And make no mistake, there was a long range plan to this. They didn't want some podunk judge somewhere finding that there WAS an expectation of privacy attached to the non-public records.
(Read Roe v. Wade sometime and the Supremes logic concerning privacy and abortion. People, good, honest people, are still fighting over that one, with no end in sight.)
This is NOT a clear cut issue. For instance, the CDC just issued a warning about the worst outbreak of measles in a decade. Would it be in the public's interest to require the CDC to get a court order every time just to build the statistics about a measles outbreak?
Banks are a bit more touchy. Most banks, AFAIK, don't routinely supply records...but they could if they wanted too. It the IRS that can get really nasty. They can freeze accounts without recourse to any court/judge.
I seem to remember something about telephone taps on fiber optic cables. If they tap the cable, for suspect X, they may end up tapping thousands of conversations. Seems, (as I remember), absolutely no information gained from any extraraneous source B can be used in court. Period.

Well, Andrew, if there aren't enough terrorists to allow an administration to operate under the 'fear' ticket, you might as well make some up. How would you control the angry masses who pay over 4 dollars for gasoline if you didn't have the terrorists to blame?
Take a slice of daily life and remove the influence of terrorists... what would you have left? What if Poland hadn't been a threat to Germany in the 30's? The Dutch were about to invade? You think the German people would have rallied around a mad man in the hope to find protection? It is an old formula. It works. For a while.
Bin Laden has been dead for 4 years. But, he's no good to Bush, dead. So they keep him alive...BOOGA BOOGA!!!
Robatoy wrote:

Hmmm.... Sure would like to see some proof of that. Or some credible tidbit of information.

Wouldn't we all?

So, Morris, was this trip back into The Wreck a pleasant/constructive experience? <G>