OT: Questions for Americans

Page 2 of 4
In article <c3bec7e8-e2e5-4657-97a8-dfd811314666

I'm sure it does sound stupid to you. You're so clueless any reasonable statement would *sound* stupid, to you.
-- Keith

Oh my. Had I known you to be such a clever and verbally acrobatic adversary, I would never have started this path to my demise.
In article <11f59b4c-2054-4639-88ce-6d3d7372fb41

The terminally stupid are often easily impressed; your flattery doesn't mean much.
-- Keith
krw wrote:

The records are private. The conversations are private between the participants of the conversations and the records are private between the participants of the conversation and the company through which the call was made. If the telcom decided to turn over the records it can but they have thus far been reluctant out of a fear of lawsuits. The law is an attempt to get the records without having to get a court order, which may prove dificult.
Not being a lawyer (thank the powers the be), I cannot speak for ex post facto.

That last statement shows a lack of maturity that completly disembowls the rest of your post.
ron
r payne wrote:

Every telco except Qwest has turned over the records on request.

--John
says...

No, they are most assuredly NOT. They are property of the phone company to do with as they see fit.

The conversations are private, the billing records are not.

No, the law is intended to immunize the phone companies from frivolous lawsuits filed by idiots like yourself.

Evidently you can't speak facto, at all.

Nope. The point is exactly correct. I can't help it if the truth hurts. It *IS* still the truth.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

So you (or anyone) can walk into a telco and ask for the numbers to and from any particular number you want and they will give them to you?
The answer is no. This is because this information is not public. Therefore it is private to some group. If a member of the group wants to release it, that member can. Since you demonstrate you are incabable of reading plain english, I don't really expect you to understand this.
says...

Of course not. They are the property of the phone company. If they chose to sell the information there isn't a damned thing you could do about it though. There is no expectation of privacy.

It is not private information, as the contents of the call are. The records are telco property. The contents are not.

As can the telco.

You are the one who is acting stupid beyond belief.
--
Keith

Unless you can provide a third option, the information is either private or public. If the information is public anyone can ask for and get the information. If the information is private one party that is privy to the information has to decide to release it. The big decidion for the telco is that since they are payed to provide a service, they have to keep their customers happy and not everyone would be happy with the release of any information. That is why they have disclosure policies that the customer agrees to when sighing up.
ron
says...

Perhaps to a narrow-minded fool, yes. It is public in the sense that it doesn't take a subpoena for the government to get. It is private in the sense that it is phone company property, to do with as they please.

Correct. Anyone can ask. The phone company may just comply; their option. There is no court demand required for them to comply. Is that simple enough for you?

They are not compelled in any way to keep the information private.

Bullshit.
--
Keith

You start with and Ad Hominem attack. You then state the information is both public and private like it lives some double life followed by a description that is to any thinking man the very defination of private. And never offer a third option.
This all give you the appearance of having the mental ability of a 9 year old.
To whit, I have come to the conclusion you are not worth the trouble and see no reason to read let alone to respond to anything you post.
ron
says...

No start. No Ad Hominem. Obvious statements (which you aren't man enough to quote).

Given two words, one cannot describe the world. If you're mentally deficient enough to believe that one can, well, even I don't have enough Ad to describe your Hominem.

Yes, apparently that describes you well, given that you can't even place the words in the context of the discussion at hand.

IOW, "I'm going to take my ball and run home crying to mommy."
--
Keith

Ron,
Track krw's record on other newsgroups. He appears to only show up so he can denigrate someone, call names, and perform similar feats of daring intellectual nincompoopery. You're wasting energy typing in responses because his response will always be an offspring of those you've already seen.

Pot...Kettle, Kettle......Pot

Sorry. No. This is the only NG I attend. And you're the only major league asshole I know on here at the moment, but you can't help that. You were born to it, and then grew into the role.

Wow! A compliment ! Thank you, kind sir. (You're kinda fun to play with too!)
In article <c475e2a7-fadc-4f15-9222-

Well, I mostly read (lurk) and learn, but when idiot leftists (redundant) show their true colors with off-topic posts, yes, I get involved. Since you seem to be included in that group... If you'd rather talk about woodworking, please do and I'll learn.
--
Keith

a liberal. Generally, I get alonog with people of any political stripe, until the start calling names. Then, they can do as I suggest you do: go fuck yourself.
"Charlie Self" wrote:

You mean that dude hasn't made your kill file yet?
You must trying to piss up a rope?
Lew

Sorry, Lew. No kill files in Google that I've found, at least none that work. Generally, that's not a problem because even those I disagree with politically are willing to discuss, not name call, but countertop and krw seem to feel it's within their purviews to be candidates for Pain In The Ass of The Western World. I'm done responding to their asininities, anyway. This is the political silly season, which maybe excuses a Canadian sticking his unwanted, unneeded and worn out oar in, but name calling is never suitable.