OT Porter Cable Router $99.00 Amazon.com

Used to be a place in Seaside or Rockaway that sold all of that stuff, including Gnomes and concrete deer. Back in the day you could even get the hitching posts - you know the ones. 'Course the Oregon coast also was the last bastion of Sambo's restaurants (Lincoln City).

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Don't know where you're located, but there's a number of hands on classes for Festool in the US. As well, I've heard of several dealers that let customers try out a few tools. Maybe you should call around. And finally, Festool does have a 30 return policy.

Reply to
Upscale

I'm not the family birdothologist, hopefully, the same person who fills up the feeders will clean it! ; )

Reply to
Bill

I would love to own a Kapex but I probably would not use it. I have a Delta CMS and absolutely quit using it, in the shop, when I bought a cabinet saw and found it to be superior,coupled with the Dubby jigs, compared to the miter saw. I do have the LT16 HD Laguna however.... You just walk up to it, tension the blade, turn it on, and start cutting. It has been months since I switched blades so there has been no guide adjustments and it has probably been a couple of years since I have adjusted the top wheel tilt angle regardless of which blade is mounted. When you are ready to simply cut with the saw and quit tweeking the guides or top wheel the Laguna and or the MiniMax saws fill the bill. I avoided my old BS in the past simply because of the adjustements that were constantly needed, no longer. Oh and the 4.5 hp monster hanging off the back side of the saw never strains. ;~) AND oddly the longer 150" blades are easier to deal with then folding up or opening than the short ones.

Reply to
Leon

I like Festool, I get no benefit from any one buying one.

Ignorance guides your thought process. You think you are good at judging quality. Untill you actually use the tool you don't know squat about how well that tool operates. Results, day in and day out are what count.

I wish I knew someone local who would let me play with their

Any one that sells them should let you try them, even if you mail order you have 30 days to decide.

Reply to
Leon

You'll certainly want some of these, too, Bill. Tres chic!

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A bristle brush and water from a garden hose? Birdchit's easy, mon.

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey, the good stuff is still available.

music to suit:
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I looked at the Kapex, for about a microsecond, before I bought a Bosch to replace my HF. I'll likely still use the HF rebuilding a fence this spring. I won't fear leaving it outside. ;-)

Would you STOP! ;-) I got into the Festool swamp listening to you guys. I don't want to spend as much on a bandsaw as I did on the Unisaw. ;-)

I wouldn't go for a motor that big. I'd rather not wire that much juice into the "shop". Not that it would be impossible (the "shop has no walls yet), but

20A, 240V is enough.
Reply to
krw

Is it the new style Bosch with the articulating arm?

LOL, well when you want to work "with" the saw instead of "on" the saw..... ;~)

Actually it will run on 20 amp 240 and that is the smallest IIRC motor available on the HD series saws. The Baldor motor requires 19 amp in 240 volt mode and 38 amp in 120 volt mode. My garage has a single 30 amp 240 volt receptacle.

Keep in mind also that, according to the electrician that replaced a breaker in my new house, modern breakers tend to be overrated and it is not unusual to see one trip at 80% capacity. The typical 240 volt tool, my cabinet saw and stationary planer require 16 amps. With a 20 amp service you might be borderline. Cheaper to go a little extra now than later.

Reply to
Leon

Leon, are you buying those cheap HF breakers again? :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

No, the old style.

I might do that, but I really don't want to. I guess it's that I really don't see the need.

They often won't trip until they're loaded way over capacity, but I've not heard of them tripping under their rated current. If a 20A breaker trips with less than 20A, it's defective.

Reply to
krw

Got the statuary in the middle just waiting to bark a knuckle ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

car on the front lawn!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

From what I understand it is pretty common with todays modern breakers. Too much safety built in with GFI and Ark Fault interrupters built in to the breakers.

Reply to
Leon

Silly wabbit.

Cut the bristles down to fit it under the low spots and Roberta's yer auntie.

-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

These things were never designed to go aboard the Ark, guys.

Yeah, what amperage are common GFIs set to kick off, 5A or sumpin? Picky li'l bastids, ain't they?

-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

-------------------------------------- Spoken like a true dumb f*ck.

It all depends on the thermal environment.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've never heard that problem before (rather the opposite). I'll keep a lookout for it in the future, though.

Reply to
krw