OT: Pet peeve.

Page 3 of 4

Boston is one of the worst in the US. For a real treat, try Rome or Naples.

It's a bit different here... One thing that's different is that when you put your left turn signal on, we gringos think you're going to turn left, but Mexican driving law says that's a signal to drivers behind you that it's safe to pass..
Makes it really interesting sometimes when you're slowing for a left turn off the highway.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Steve Wolfe wrote:

If you're going to talk about driving peeves, the one that peeves me is the kind of asshat who'll put his gorgeous girlfriend on the back of his motorcycle with no protective equipment and then go hotdogging so this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-XdZq4-_TQ
happens and she ends up like this http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html or worse. Note that the two are _not_ of the same person.
--John

In an early routine, he said that every driver should be issued one of those little suction cup dart guns and 3 darts, with a flag saying "stupid" on it.. Get 3 flags on your car and you get busted for being stupid..
Might not be effective, but it's a stress relieving thought..
mac davis wrote:
| Gallagher was right, again... | | In an early routine, he said that every driver should be issued one | of those little suction cup dart guns and 3 darts, with a flag | saying "stupid" on it.. Get 3 flags on your car and you get busted | for being stupid.. | | Might not be effective, but it's a stress relieving thought..
ROFL - I love it!

Me too! BRILLIANT!!
"Robatoy" wrote

If you have ever seen Gallagher perform, he is inspired silliness. He is a prop comedian. In the above bit, he hangs a prop car door on himself, explains the use of the stupid suction cup arrow and proceeds to stick them to the door as he is walking around.
He then hauls out a hundred or so props and make his jokes. He is most famous for the "sledge -a-matic". That is that big wood hammer that he smashes everything with. That includes his trademark watermellon smash.
At his shows, the first three rows are covered by plastic tarps, to protect the audience members from flying smashed fruit.
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:15:11 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

on the car window frame?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

It is extremely frustrating for a "Public Safety Officer" who is, at times EMS, Fire or Police to realize that he's in the vehicle with wrong color lights when some moron won't yield. We were going to get some paintball guns to mark non-compliant vehicles for pickup by trailing officers in the blue-lighters, but realized that, though it might make us feel better, it wasn't the primary task when we were EMS.
When we had an officer or relative of an officer in the back of the rig, we generally got a couple of patrol cars to run interference, so we never had to slow down.

NO. And if you drive in Houston that person in the left lane in front of you is equally as likely to want to turn right also even though he is in the left or straight lane. He will hold up traffic waiting for the right lane to clear so that he can make an illegal right hand turn. It seems in Houston that it is OK to go any direction you want regardless of which lane you are sitting in. I guess most drivers think those arrow signs are a suggestion rather than a rule. And if someone is driving too slow, in two lanes, are holding up traffic in general, it is about a 99% chance he has a cell phone hanging out of his ear.
<snip>

I remember getting warned by my brother-in-law on my first visit to him in Dallas that "Texans don't drive well in the elements, and air is an element"..
Spending most of my life driving in "a sign for everything" Calif., I had a little trouble getting used to lanes ending in TX without merge signs and a line of cars that were NOT going to let you in...and most of those drivers probably were armed..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote in message

Statistically, there are damn few "Texas drivers" in Texas ... except for the armed ones, most are transplants from the North East, Florida, and California, and points South.
That's why the armed ones are armed. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

You said a mouthful. There are VERY few Canadian drivers in GTA (Greater Toronto Area.). Hence the joke (and you may insert your own choice of ethnicity here): "How do you blind a Belgian?" (this is the one they use in Holland) Answer: "You put a windshield in front of their eyes."
I know, I know... that was bad...I don't make 'm up, I just tell 'm.
Q: How do you make a Venetian blind?" A: "By poking one in the eyes."
Q: " What's a Grecian urn?" A: " U*sually minimum wage plus tips."
*barumpbump-crash*
...somebody stop me....
Swingman wrote:

It's getting better. As of Sept 1st, righteous Texans may now carry a firearm in their car.
We have very few instances of "road-rage" here. But one of the best was the first shooting by a concealed handgun license holder.
Happened in Dallas traffic. Two vans scraped mirrors and the dude in van #1 got all punchy on the driver of van #2. The driver of van #2 smoked the #1 van driver.
Now here's the even funnier part. The (deceased) driver of van #1 was a trainee, first day on the job, supervisor riding with him to show him the route.
Imagine, if you will, later that day as the supervisor made his way to the coffee-shop back at headquarters. Some of his mates gather around and ask "How's the new guy working out, Stan?"
As Stan fills his cup, he shakes his head and says: "KIA. We need another."
out of his ear.

It used to be that Texas drivers were quite courteous and in many places they still are. It's where the cultures get blended in that the variations of driving techniques gets added. As for not letting some in on a long line, typically in Houston you have been setting in line for 5-15 minutes to take an exit ramp in rush hour traffic and you get those "special" drivers that feel that they are entitled to cut in at the front for the line, and of course they tie up traffic in their lane.
Leon wrote:

yep One of my pet peeves. Sign says "lane ends, 1/2 mile" So, even though most people merge into the other lane in plenty of time, there are those "special drivers" who stay in that lane until the bitter end, then force their way into the line that has been patiently waiting in the lane that didn't end. One of those times when one develops tunnel vision and the habit of tailgating the car in front of them.

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:06:54 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

Nope - that one gets to me as well.
But the worst are the idiots that won't turn right on a red light, or left from a oneway to a oneway on a red light.
Some of our streets have two right turn lanes and I've seen idiots sit there in the left one and watch the people in the right one go. Then, of course, the ones who turned into the right lane decide they should have been in the other and cut in front of me.
And I can't discuss cell phones without descending into Anglo-Saxon!

Not wrong to get pissed, just a total waste. I might get upset for 10 seconds, but that's it. Don't allow others to get your goat.

to stop goes first 2n ,3rd etc. Now the other 1%>> We are not allowed to used guns. BUT baseball bats are OK. (G)
Sun, Sep 23, 2007, 5:06pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) doth sayeth: So, you pull up behind a guy at a red traffic signal. He's going where you're going. Straight. <snip>
I can live with that, don't like it, but live with it. What pisses me off is when there's a separate turn lan, and instead of using that the idiot stays in the traffic lane.
Don't want to get me started on idiot drivers. I dould go on this for a lonnng time.
However, I will contribute this. Lately I've been seeing a LOT of idiots at a two way stop, stop when they've got the right of way, and I'm at the stop sign. I'm basically stuck because I have no idea what they're going to do. Actually I'm afraid to to anything xcept sit there, for fear if I do anything they'll run into me.