OT: One more thing to thoroughly dislike.

I wanted to Google some info on laminated plastics. What did I get? A whole slew of sites which offered me links to the very same people I was looking for. It seems that every time I want to do a search, some asshole gets in my way with a site of their own who seems to have sorted out for me what it is I am looking for. I am starting to really dislike that.

Reply to
Robatoy

inserts a long string in your search that blocks much of that crap. As an example, if I'm researching an old R'n'B group I don't particulary care to view every eBay listing that includes the group name. This does a nice job blocking those (and other) listings, so I can more quickly find that nobody knows nothing about 'em!

I suppose you could just grab the GMBMG string and save it as a little text file to paste in every time you're looking for something, but that adds a couple steps. Not to mention you have to remember where you filed it...

Reply to
Steve

Thanks, I've been looking for something like this but hated wading through DIYcentral, etcCentral, ChinaRoadrunner ...

Reply to
LDosser

aid:

NICE!! Thank you!

Reply to
Robatoy

Thanks so much. I had no idea that something like this existed.

Reply to
burtwitlin

NICE!! Thank you! =================

I didn't see this the first time around. Looks very interesting. I often have to use google for an hour or two at a time and it gets old very fast. Putting things in quotes often does little or nothing to limit unrelated crap.

Another big annoyance is when trying to buy a product that may not be in stock. Reputable websites will let you know it is out of stock. Scumbag vendors will just subsitute another product. ==

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Two points: One: I tried this and it seemed that all I got was the ebay type site. I put it in the search box after I put in the items for which I was searching. Is this where this should go.

Second: If you using an addon like Clippings it is quite easy to right click in the search window and past the above string from Clippings.

ie you don't have to remember where you saved it.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I'm guessing you failed to put the minus sign in front of the inurl. Without it, the clause would ask google to only return results from the things you're trying to filter out.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

There are two faces to this -- the "grab the search term and offer it for sale" face and the "consolidate all of the results on our own web page" face.

Sometimes it gets downright silly. Doing an Ask or Bing (I don't use Google if I can avoid it) for something like "wicker man" or some other thing and you get the top search sponsored links that give a response like "Get your iron man run for less at amazon.com" or "Find your wicker man at Target for less".

Then there is the result that you describe, pushing you to a web page that purports to have the information you request. Even after the frustration of finding out the web page doesn't have any information, but just the links you were seeking from the search, most of the time, the links don't even seem to be anywhere close to what you are looking for.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita