OT: Newsgroup client suggestions

Page 2 of 4

http://www.eternal-september.org /
Free, but no binaries. Has been very reliable for several years.
On 11/27/2011 7:28 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

That's what I've been using. Took a few tries to get it working, but no trouble at all since then.

I thank other suggestions as well and will keep them in mind if something partakes which doesn't work out for me.
On 11/27/2011 7:34 PM, Justin Time wrote:

I also use news.albasani.net Like news.eternal-september.org it's free but does not allow binaries. The two news servers do not carry the same groups so if one doesn't permit subscription to something you want, try the other one.
SBH wrote:

Some here have responded by suggesting a paid usenet service, which is an absolutely asinine suggestion without knowing if you are a binary-file downloader - which I'm thinking you're not if you were using your ISP's usenet service.
So going on the assumption that you just read and post to text groups, then there are several free usenet servers. I use aioe.org because no sign-up is required, hence there is no user-name or password hassle to deal with.
You are also asking about a usenet client. I assume you were already using one to access your ISP's server before they shut it down. (?)
I use an old client (netscape communicator 4.79) because it's what I've always used and it's very efficient in it's layout and ease-of-organization of posts and groups and very fast.
On 11/27/2011 6:58 PM, SBH wrote:

If you were accessing newsgroups through your local ISP until November 1st, there is no reason you cannot continue using the same client you were using before then. What you need now is a *server*.
www.eternal-september.org is free, and they do a very good job of eliminating spam.
Doug Miller wrote:

Newsguy.com is good. I like the fact that they toss in a web site for my use. About $65/yr, less than 20 cents a day. When you pay, you can have expectations. Looks like it may not be the best deal in town, but it's been working fine.
Bill wrote:

And you use it for binary downloads - or just text?

The only thing I expect if I were to pay to access a usenet server would be to download binary posts. Do you have other expectations?
My binary downloads are satisfied gratis by one-click hosters (aka file-lockers).
On 11/27/2011 11:14 PM, Home Guy wrote:

I paid for certain services. I have a contract.

Bill wrote:

If the services *you utilize* includes binary downloading, then great. More power to ya.
If you're paying for access to text groups (and you don't download binaries) then that's ok too. You're happy to pay for something that is widely available at no cost. It's your right to do it.
I just don't understand why you wouldn't clearly and unambiguously admit to it.

For the narrow-minded simpleton who believes *HIS* way is the only 'right' way:
A paid provider -- even if used only for text groups -- may well provide any, or *all*, of the following benefits: 1) longer retentions of messages 2) _faster_ responses by the servers -- because they're geographically 'closer', or less heavily loaded, or have 'bigger pipes', or higher- performing hardware, etc., etc., ad nauseum. 3) 'more extensive' lists of newsgroups (including 'text only' groups) 4) fewer falsely "filtered out" messages 5) *TELEPHONE* support, when need/desired 6) "higher reliability" in the delivery of service. *EVERY* 'free' NNTP server operator that I am aware of has had at least one 'significant' outage (as in multiple hours) within the last 5 years. As have the 'bargain-basement' paid providers like Astraweb, and individual.net Major 'commercial grade' providers-- like the former SuperNews, NewsGuy, Giganews, etc. -- have had a _combined_ 'downtime' over the last TEN YEARS, that is measured in the low tens of minutes. 7) *assurance* of availability "tomorrow". Contractual -guarantees- of at least 30-90 days notice are important to some people. 8) Better, more complete, support of 'optional' components in the NNTP protocol, which can result in _order-of-magnitude_ (or more) higher performance in a news client doing sophisticated 'selection' (or, conversely, 'filtering') of messages for display.
These things _DO_ matter to some people.
There are other people who think USENET is a valuable resource in it's own right, and are willing to spend some of their own money in an effort to ensure that it remains available for the long term.
On 11/29/2011 12:42 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

I sure don't think my way is the only right way, BUT, I am sure Eternal-September works in every way (other than binaries) as Giganews worked when Comcast provided it.

Never been an issue for me.

None of this has been an issue for me. I send a message, I get it back almost instantly. It's been years, but I notice little difference in speed of D/l between Comcasts Giganews and E-S. If there is a difference, it is too little to notice.

8000 groups is plenty. Never looked for a non-binary group E-S didn't carry.

The only way I know you could "know" this is by noticing a difference. I have not noticed a difference, period.

E-S has a group that works well and web based support. Never needed it but looks like it would serve.

I've only has Astraweb since Sept, and no problems. E-S I've had for years, since Comcast dropped usenet, and I vaguely recall a problem with something that changed and I had to reset all my groups, don't recall what it was, but the server was never down that I know of.

Perhaps, but I recall more than once Giganews was down for many hours, and when I contacted Comcast, they had no idea what was going on, and I was told by at least one tech that they didn't provide newsgroups, when they did. After lots of BS, I found someone that did, and he simply said the server was down. I was obvious to me that comcast support staff was clueless when it came to usenet, the people at E-S are not.

I reckon, but to most people, newsgroups are just a nasty hobby.

I don't have a clue about the above, and after too many years of this stuff, whatever that means is meaningless to me, cause I haven't noticed, not with Giganews, E-S nor Astraweb.

Most of them sound like they would matter, but not one of them has been noticeable by me between Giganews, E-S or Astraweb.

Are you thinking paying money for access will increase it's longevity?
My thinking is eliminating the free access by the main providers (Comcast and Verison) damned near killed newsgroups, and the free ones like Eternal-September, and the cheap ones like Astraweb and Usenet-news.net is about all that keeps them going. If they go, then so will Usenet, imo.
--
Jack

The fact that it is not an issue _for_you_ does not mean that it is not a valid concern for other people. I personally, have, on rare occasions, needed to track down a posting that was several years old.

Demonstrating, again, that you "Dont know what you don't know" about what is important to other people.

_YOUR_ expectations/experiences are *NOT* universal.

"Ignorance in action." I "know" it happens because I have read posted complaints by users of various 'free' systems that they see responses, but -not- the message that is being replied to. When -multiple- users from the _same_ service complain about the absence of the SAME messages, It is pretty conclusive evidence. When one of them posts a copy of a message *from* the provider _admitting_ that those messages were dropped, That is *conclusive* proof of it happening.

Proving only that _you_ have not 'noticed' it -- it does not even prove that it 'doesn't happen" with the message threads you do read. It only
BTW, it happens that I *do* 'notice' the same thing, 'falsely dropped messages', on paid providers, as well.
I happen to use a newsreader that displays 'state' information for -every- message 'referenced' in any 'newer' postings -- even if the message is 15 (or more) levels of response prior to the current message.

*YOUR* opinion is not -universal- on that matter.

I know people that have used Astraweb for multiple years. Within the last twelve months, there has been 'more than one' occasion where they have reported -- using alternate access methods -- that specific newsgroups, at least, have failed to display *any* new articles for periods of -days-. DESPITE other newsservers showing several hundred new messages in that newsgroup.

Again, you "don't know what you don't know".
The TOTAL downtime for either of Giganews' US server complexes since 2004 is approximately _12 minutes_, spread across 5 separate incidents.
What you were hit by was a failure of the "authentication server' -- owned, operated, and maintained by the 'reseller' (or the wholesale-services-buying ISP)

Comcast has a long-standing reputation for cluelessness. Especially if it doesn't involve Windows boxes, the world-wide-web, or their hosted email service.

*MANY* newsreader programs -cannot- filter on content in headers that are not in the 'XOVER' headers, nor accessible by XPAT'.
Those newsreaders that -can- so filter are ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE slower at so doing, Because they cannot make -one- request to the server for a certain group/class of articles, and get a list of matching IDs, but have to make a separate retrieval request for the headers of -each- article find the selected header and check the content thereof.

Proving only that you have 'limited experience' with such matters.

It is a fact that -none- of the 'free' providers would continue to exist if the pay providers went away. They simply would not be able to afford the resources -- particularly in staff, but also in 'bandwidth' costs -- to maintain the required connectivity to other nodes.
Somewhere over 90% of _all_ USENET traffic passes through one of a handful of remaining 'backbone' sites. The former widespread 'mesh' of multiply- connected sites has very nearly collapsed into a 'star' topology.
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:36:04 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Are you sure this is not all about me? I always thought it was. :)

'... you probably think this newsgroup is about you.' To misquote a circa 1970 pop tune.
"Robert Bonomi"

Ain't that the truth!
I remember talking to one of their drones and he had no idea what a newsgroup was. And he, apparently, concluded that if he did not know what is was, he did not have to help me. Not that he could anyway.
Doug Miller wrote:

Agreed... I've used it in conjunction with OE for years now with no complaints.

My vote for best is eternal september
Metspitzer wrote:

Why is eternal september better than aioe?
I don't mess with username and password with aioe. It gets my vote.

You voted twice :)