OT: Neither run Norwalk.

Page 2 of 2

You're right- those are silly. I was thinking of the overwhelming school of thought that says a martini should be straight gin, with vermouth being used for no more than rinsing off the ice cubes- if even that. And that's fine, but not as refreshing as a reasonable shot of the vermouth in the mix to my taste buds. When I mix them, I usually go half and half with the two.

Grolsch can be good- but unfortunately, it usually sits so long in the cooler around here that it's turned skunky more often than not when I buy it, so I generally avoid it.

There are indeed many fine British beers... lots of good American beers, too- but they all seem to be microbrews that are tough to find. I still say St. Paul's Summit Brewery makes some of the finest beer to be had anywhere- now if it just had better distribution...
Prometheus wrote:
> That's when I have any time to drink, of course- and truth be told, on > the fairly rare occasions when I do drink, I usually go for red wine > (Yellowtail Merlot- the finest $7 bottle of wine around) or beer (but > no more "Sneaky Pete"s after the last time I was foolish enough to > drink both in the same night).
You mean you haven't gotten around to Two Buck Chuck" yet?
Lew

That stuff's overpriced.
--
Regards,

Robatoy wrote:
> That'll help the gene pool.
Actually, it blows the wine snobs out of the water.
Lew

The name reminds me of Chateau Walla-Walla Chunder, a fine Australian fighting wine.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Anybody remember Guzzler's Gin?
    Aging,     jo4hn
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:11:15 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Maybe not. What's a Two Buck Chuck?

Prometheus wrote:
> Maybe not. What's a Two Buck Chuck?
They are California wines from the Charles Shaw Winery.
The guy who owns the winery has been a PITA to the California wine industry for years.
At Trader Joe's, a SoCal specialty store the stuff retails for $1.99 a bottle, thus the name "Two Buck Chuck".
It is available across the US, just not at expensive wine shops.
I don't drink wine, but I'm told it is pretty good stuff.
YMMV.
Lew
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 00:01:10 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Well, for $2, maybe I'll try it next time- provided it is labeled as wine, and not a "fortified alcohol beverage" :)
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:11:15 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Aha- I looked that up. Nope- no $2 wine for me- last time I did that was in high school, and it felt like I had been kicked in the head by a mule the next day. I like Yellowtail because it flat out tastes better than much (better?) more expensive wines that I've tried in the past (excepting Thomas Coyne (sp?)- but I'm not driving halfway across the country just to have a glass of wine). It's not a cost issue, just a taste preference- I buy so little alcohol that I could easily spend more, but those really "classy" wines usually taste like an old lady smells to me.

The Charles Shaw cab is ok; certainly better than your run-of-the-mill box cabernet.
The Charles Shaw chardonnay was ranked quite highly compared to other california chards, and is also $1.99 a bottle.
Me, my preference lies more towards Beaulieu Vinyards _Georges de Latour_ vintage Cabs. The BV rutherford is also an excellent reasonably priced Cab.
"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message

Alright, damn it ... my favorite California Pinot Noir (Meridian) just went from $6.85 a bottle to over $16.00 because of "demand" (IOW, it was selling pretty good so the corporate greed at the grocery chain level got the best of them) ... so tell me, what's do I replace it with?
... and don't say Merlot! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/02/07

Merlot is a reliable work horse. Never great, but mostly reliable. I like it. What I really like, is Chianti. Man, there are some nice Chiantis around. The big-buck Chiantis are mostly hype/demand/history-priced. No need to spend a fortune. I like lighter wines (in red) like a beaujolais. The Portuguese make nice light reds. I suck at remembering the names. I know them by their label and their spot in the liquor store. Yes... liquor stores and Beer stores. No booze of any kind anywhere else in Ontario. (A few wine stores, which IIRC must have a larhe % of Ontario wines....which aren't bad any more.)

Merlot. Don't believe silly movies. :)
I buy so little alcohol that I could easily

MY old lady smells pretty good to me... . . . . . . . oh, come on, somebody had to say that... but I know what you mean...musty.
snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca says...

Hey, Rob, look on the bright side: nobody can accuse you of being full of s**t any more... <g,d&r>

Stayed up all night thinking of that one, eh Doug? <G>