OT - Neighbor borrows tools and doesn't bring back

But they'd just vote themselves a special prison with hot and cold running hookers and whatever other conveniences they thought appropriate and use it as an excuse to party.
Charlie Self wrote:

I like that, Charlie. Maybe marriage could go by those rules too? FIRST you buy her a house.....etc. :)

You might as well. That's the way it works, anyway.
"Robatoy" wrote in message
> (What makes thing difficult is when you're a dyed-in-the-wool > conservative but know that Bush is an asshole. Just watch the > motherfarker squirm at the SOTU tonight.)
Remember the political cartoon after the 2004 election showing a picture of Uncle Sam with the caption below.
"Elect him once, shame on me" "Elect him twice, shame on you"
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

There is a whole assortment of alt.politics newsgroups. If you don't like to read those because of the flame wars maybe you folks should think twice before playing with fire here.
--

FF

Seems to me that first appeared mid-November 1996...
--
Regards,

:)
George Max wrote:

I have HAD the problem, but no more. The next time I was asked to loan tools, I simply stated that I had recently loaned some tools that didn't return (when promised -or- in my case functional) and when I needed to use them they weren't available to me. Therefore, UNFORTUNATELY I have had to take a "I DON'T LOAN TOOLS" stand.
BTW, when I purchased my roll-around Craftsman tool chest(s), I also purchased for $10.00 a decal pack of assorted Craftsman decals of which one reads: I DON'T LOAN TOOLS. I have it conspicuously located upon entering my work area... but a sign generated in MS WORD will work as well. The great thing is, you can invite the neighbor over to just chat for a few minutes while you linger Under the sign :) (Why wait to be put on the spot?)
DJ
Darrin wrote:

Go get your tools back when he isn't home and flirt with his wife. Nope, I'm not kidding. A) He won't like you coming over when he isn't home and he will think twice about borrowing next time. B) His wife won't like you coming over unannounced and tell him to stop borrowing your tools.
C) She flirts back and you have wild sex on his shop bench. Then you start offering him MORE tools so you have an excuse to go back over.
In all three cases it's WIN WIN WIN. <g>
BTW I'm experienced A&C personally...years ago....

OK All you guys who are married to foxy wives can come loan some tools. Give me a list of what you need - if I don't have it, that means I'll have go buy it.
Rules:     You must have a job. This is important when I have to come over there for tool removal while the wife is at home.     Inform the wife I'm coming over so that we both can come and to not wear anything complicated.
I'll be sitting here next to the phone so don't be shy.
Pete
Darrin wrote: <snip>

I won't give advice but I will point something out. Your last sentence asks about bad blood. From what you've said, there either already is or will be the next time he leaves a tool in the weather or misuses it. Since he's already broken your rules of how to treat tools, it's pretty clear he'll do so again.
Sometimes we hate to piss people off for being territorial about our possessions, but we're willing to let ourselves get pissed off and say nothing. That's not helping anyone, including your neighbour.
I don't think it's too late for any of your options, and you've had a few suggested, including nipping it in the bud. And yes, it's still in the bud so far, but it will go full bloom if you do nothing. As Swing said, it's all in what you think you can live with.
Whatever you do, it's not really going to be that pleasant. Do nothing, get pissed off. Nip it, get him riled or at the very least embarrassed. Something in between, and the feelings will be somewhere in the middle.
Let us know how it turns out. I don't think there's anyone who's got even a small selection of tools that hasn't been in the same predicament.
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

Darrin wrote: <snip>

time to time to discuss your coverage and make sure you are not underinsured and during such a discussion you could mention that you have been loaning out tools to your neighbor/friends to which your agent would certainly look at your sternly and tell you that you must not loan your tools to anyone as it exposes you to potential liability. From a liability standpoint you were duly cautioned by your agent to adopt a policy of no loan of tools, which from a neighbor's standpoint is regrettable, but understandable... right?
(Actually, loaning a ladder or any power tool that can do serious bodily injury is asking for trouble, friends quickly turn into claimants when there is an accident and you have good coverage.)
"John L. Poole" wrote in message

Insurance companies buying off politicians, and politician-in-training lawyers, dictating life in good old NA, (once) land of the free.
A pox on all three.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Double pox. My wife's country church has something like five dusk to dawn lights. Why? Not because there's any real need: members would know to bring a flashlight at night when the building is unoccupied. But the insurance company says each exit/entrance/hazard (as they perceive hazard) must be illuminated all night.
I know a lot of people who use those things to light their yards, shops, garages, etc. Sort of like saying, "Here are the goodies. Come and get them."
Charlie Self wrote:
> > Double pox. My wife's country church has something like five dusk to > dawn lights. Why? Not because there's any real need: members would know > to bring a flashlight at night when the building is unoccupied. But the > insurance company says each exit/entrance/hazard (as they perceive > hazard) must be illuminated all night. > > I know a lot of people who use those things to light their yards, > shops, garages, etc. Sort of like saying, "Here are the goodies. Come > and get them." >
Actually, security lighting is a very good deterrent against vandals and thieves.
In a former life, I sold a lot of outdoor lighting systems designed specifically for security applications.
Think you will find the insurance companies will give you a break if you have security lighting.
Lew
Lew
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:22:45 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Interesting. Good points on both sides. It provides illumination while thieves to work at opening the door/window while also illuminating themselves doing it, and hopefully causing law enforcement to be summoned.
Are there statistics on this? Number of break-ins broken down by places with and places without lighting?
George Max wrote:
> > Are there statistics on this? Number of break-ins broken down by > places with and places without lighting?
The answer to the question is:
Does the insurance give a lower rate if the property has security lighting?
Lew

No, that does not answer the question.
Insurance companies can make mistakes.
--

FF

And the answer probably is, "Likely not on residential properties." Where there is public access, probably, even though, IMO, that is asinine about 77% of the time. Does the parsonage across the street from the church REALLY need a dusk to dawn? I think not, but it's been there for at least two decades I know of.