OT: My first car accident...

Page 2 of 4
I got hit from behind by a drunk driver on March 15, 1989 and it broke my neck in two places. (double compression fracture, they called it) I spent the next 8 months wearing a hard neck brace.
I still have some problems from time to time, but pretty much recovered from it.
I was lucky I wasn't killed. The next person he meets might not be so lucky... String him up by the short hairs and don't cut him any slack.
Mark

busy
[........]
isn't
You may have saved someone else's life. That guy is a walking - and driving - time bomb. I know it was a real hassle but you did the right thing. Maybe, just maybe - they'll put this guy away for a while and maybe, just maybe get him into rehab and maybe, just maybe - he'll get "it" and maybe, just maybe, not kill himself and/or someone else.
In this country we put people in prison for smoking marijuana, have beer ads everywhere aimed at kids and lots of people on the road with no insurance, no license, multiple DUIs and blood alcohol levels that should kill them - but doesn't. Somethin' screwy about that.
You did good. Thank you.
charlie b

Even if he doesn't "get it", putting him away for a while makes the rest of us just a bit safer for the duration that he's away.
[snip]

Let me add my thanks as well. My FIL was permanently disabled and nearly killed by a drunken driver some twenty years ago, so our family is well aware of the problems that clowns like this cause.
Sorry the hear about your traffic encounter. Glad to hear that you are OK. I am on my third rear bumper in 7 years; dead stopped at a red light and idiots ran into me. I guess it is "get used to it" time.
--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
"David F. Eisan" wrote: snip of sad tale Sorry about your truck David. I had an idiot run into the rear of my Ranger shortly after I got it. Didn't hurt my bumper, but it trashed the front of their car. Too bad he was in a minivan. At least you weren't hurt and the truck probably wasn't either. There's a reason the Ranger came in tops in the crash tests foro trucks its size. Next time you get a truck, get a F-150 and put a pintel hook on the back bumper. That way it'll be high enough that however rear-ends you won't drive away. Sorry, Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Just a coincidence today: <http://www.comics.com/creators/ballardst/ That's Saturday January 31.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:48:33 GMT, "David F. Eisan"

-snip of bumper pool game-

That makes the prices the delis (who deliver) charge more appealing, doesn't it?
That story reminds me of a morning back in LoCal in the late 80's. I was on my way to work after picking up one of those marvelous Jacques in the Bocques scrambled egg pita pocket breakfasts. It was a warm morning and I had the truck sliding rear window open on my side so I could take in the fresh (kaff) freeway air. I had just taken a bite of the sandwich when I saw the traffic jam at the onramp 1/4 mile ahead and slowed with traffic to about 35 mph (about 55kph, Jeff). I glanced up into the rear view mirror and saw a car coming up behind me and which wasn't slowing down. Half a second later an old Toyota station wagon was aproximately one foot shorter than it had been the second before and my breakfast was all over me. She hadn't seen the entire traffic jam (or me in my full-size Ford F-150 pickup) in front of her--all brakes lights glaring. I thank Buddha for that window being open because my head bowed both panes out about an inch. I'm certain that my neck would have snapped when it went through a single pane. LoCal weather saved my life! She was shaken up but unhurt.
It was lucky that she had dropped off her daughter in school before getting onto the freeway and slamming into me. It was lucky that both of us had our seat belts on. It was lucky that she had insurance. It was unlucky that it went bankrupt upon filing my claim. It was lucky that I had collision insurance because they paid for damage to the truck and my medical treatment, a couple months of chiro work for my second whiplash in this body. <sigh>

Davey, dude, don't be so hard on yourself. Oh, you meant -him-, didn't you? Sorry. ;)
We're both lucky we weren't too badly damaged by these fools. Others don't have that kind of luck.
=========================================================== Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:48:33 GMT, "David F. Eisan"

Dave:
This sucks big time but his life sucks worse than yours.
Lest you mistake this for a liberal excuse-fest, I hope the sumbitch gets serious jug time - and I hope he gets his dumb ass straightened out before he kills someone.
Hope that nothing shakes out bad for you over the next few days - physical wise.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:48:33 GMT, "David F. Eisan"

snip

man, sorry to hear about that. glad you're not hurt.     Bridger
David F. Eisan wrote:
A fustrating story.
As many have said, glad you are OK and it could have been worse.
Dave miller
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/local/7831948.htm
Fri, Jan. 30, 2004
Road rage leads to hit-run death of man, 61 Accused arrested on I-476 following state police chase By SIMONE WEICHSELBAUM & GLORIA CAMPISI
THOMAS RICCI had long fought drug addiction - his own and others.
But it wasn't drugs that killed Ricci, 61, a grandfather of three and born-again Christian - it was an alleged drunken driver.
During a dispute yesterday afternoon with the driver - possibly following a fender-bender - the driver knocked Ricci down and ran over his head and chest with his Jeep Wranger on a South Philadelphia street, police said.
Ricci died three hours later. The driver, identified by police as Robert Haubert, 25, was later chased down by state police on the Blue Route, I-476, and charged with aggravated assault, drunken driving and other counts.
Police said the incident occurred about 3:15 p.m. on Pas-syunk Avenue near 26th Street at the entrance to the Schuylkill Expressway.
Witnesses said the two apparently had been involved in a minor accident nearby.
Ricci got out of his white Honda Accord and approached Haubert as he sat in the red Wrangler waiting to turn onto the expressway, police said.
The elderly man banged on Haubert's hood while screaming, "You just hit my car! You're not leaving!" according to police sources.
Haubert tried to get away from Ricci, but instead ran him over, crushing his head, police said. Haubert then fled onto the expressway.
"He just ran him over like that," Ricci's daughter Renee, 37, sobbed to a family friend as they stood in a waiting room of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, shortly after learning Ricci had died.
"I hope the guy who did this stays in jail for the rest of his life," she wailed.
After leaving Ricci's bleeding body, Haubert of Conshohocken, sped to the Blue Route. But a driver on the highway recognized the Jeep from news reports, and called 911, said Trooper Chris Paris, a spokesman for the Pennsylvania State Police.
An unmarked state police car tried to pull the Jeep over, Paris said, but Haubert would not stop, dodging rush-hour traffic while zig-zagging through lanes at 60 mph.
"He drove against oncoming traffic, rammed a marked trooper car and then crashed into a light pole," said Paris.
It was there that he was arrested, and later charged with aggravated assult, reckless endangerment and drunken driving.
Philadelphia homicide detectives said they were investigating the hit-and-run and would charge Haubert as well.
David
Sorry what happened to you. I have been rear ended three times. Never by a drunk. The lightest one was at a stoplight and thelady went heads down to dig in her purse and she let up on her brakes. The next day I had a sore neck for three days. The worst time a lady thought I was going to go from a stop sign and so in her eagerness pushed on the gas to go also. I was just creeping up to get a view of oncoming traffic. Next day, real sore neck for two weeks. So I imagine you are feeling something now.
This guy is far overdue for jail time. I thought they were taking these peoples vehicles away now? If you have any chance to see him put away please do. Society has given him too many chances. He has probably hurt somebody before you. And I fear he will again without stiffer measures.
Please keep us posted, if your in any way disposed to doing so.
David F. Eisan wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:32:41 -0500, Jules

--snip--
--snip--
Try this (guy thought I was going to go and I decided to wait out that last car a coming - to be "safe") on a motorcycle w/a full head helmet. I still have neck problems ~10 years later.
Renata
Renata writes:

I'm lucky. Rainy day on NY's Taconic State Parkway. I pulled in for some gas. Lady backed right into my headlight and blaring horn (as much as a horn on a '65 Superhawk blared). Knocked me down, hard. Came back and wanted to know why I didn't get out of her way! People think motorcycles can fly, I think, but they also tend to believe cars have the right away over bikes, even when backing out of parking spaces. No damage except to an old Limey cardboard helmet that was mushed a bit.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
On 02 Feb 2004 20:51:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

You had one of them Knute Rockne helmets?
The worst result of a car/bike mishap that I ever saw was between a car and a bicycle.
A buddy of mine was training to get onto the USA team, back in the day when Eddie Merckx was still king of the road and the Americans weren't even second class citizens in that world.
He was pulling a big gear downhill and went to pass a slow moving car. For some reason, the driver opened his door and my buddy went into it doing the full tilt boogie.
He never came back from it to a degree that let him compete, and the Colnago frame was turned into a table lamp.
(He stripped all the Campy stuff off and stuck it on a custom frame that the insurance money bought for him - but he never got to race against Eddie Merckx.)
If automobile drivers treat motorcyles like they can fly - they treat bicycles like they don't even exist.
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

... snip

... and bicyclists treat car drivers like the auto drivers have all day's time also, instead of maybe wanting to get home and be able to enjoy *their* own hobbies. Where I live, we have a subdivision with bicycle lanes -- I don't know why they even wasted the money putting in the bike lanes, the bicyclists still ride right on the white line anyway. Saturday a couple of weeks ago coming home from a meeting, one of these rocket scientists decided that it wasn't sporty enough to ride on the white line, he decided he needed about 8" of the auto lane -- he of course was fully decked out in all the high-end bicycle foo-foo stuff. ... and no, there were no, read again, *no* obstructions or objects in the bike lane. In AZ there is a 5 foot rule that cars need to give bikes 5 feet, thus this incredibly self-centered person was forcing cars to either slow down or move over into the other lane.
Sorry to hear about your friend, you just touched a raw nerve -- I am so tired of hearing bicyclists saying that motorists should not be offended over having their trip take 30 seconds or 1 minute longer; on some of my Saturday morning trips, if I add that up over all the bicyclists it easily adds up to adding 10 more minutes to a trip. That's 10 minutes that those folks, who are enjoying their personal time are taking away from my ability to spend my own personal time. When I was raised, I was taught that it was the ultimate in being impolite to make other people wait for me, these people seem to delight in doing so.
Mark & Juanita writes:

I tend to agree. My wife believes that bicyclists should be licensed and pay for plates just as car drivers and motorcyclists do...currently, they tend to create problems for themselves and others, but skate on road costs. This is especially hurtful in areas where a half lane extra is added to the roads.
My horror has always been kids on bicycles, shooting out from between parked cars (or, it sometimes seems, dropping from the heavens to light right near your front fender). That is ALWAYS the driver's fault, even if he's stopped at a light.
Few sensible people ride bicycles on real country roads. Too many blind curves and similar problems with people not looking for the cyclists, not expecting to overtake them, and cyclists riding too far into the road to escape because the edge and shoulders are torn to hell. Back when my knees would still take the stress, I wanted to get some exercise using a bicycle, but the road was not conducive to peace of mind. I joined the Y and made a 25 mile round trip several mornings a week.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
(Charlie Self) wrote:

Amen to that! About ten years ago on vacation, I was driving in the curb lane of a four-lane US highway going through a residential neighborhood, when a kid on a bike shot out of a tree-lined driveway and into the street. I didn't see him, and I don't think he saw me, until he was less than five feet away. Fortunately for all of us, he made a hard right turn as soon as he cleared the end of the driveway, and I missed him by all of maybe four or five inches.
I _hope_ I frightened him as badly as he frightened me.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in

This is called evolution. In the 50s and 60s I lived in Nashvile Tn. I rode my bike through the city with a friend about 15 miles to go fishing. We just did it. Today a parent could be arrested for child endangerment for letting a chjild ride a bicyle around the neighborhood without the proper helmet. Though town on a bike strapped down with fishing gear would probably be considered a felony.
Joe WIllmann responds:

Nah. It's called bureaucracy. About the same time, maybe a decade earlier, we used to ride up and down route 9, the Boston Post Road, in New Rochelle, NY. Fat tirs, single speed, coaster brakes that worked sometimes. I'd hate to have to guess how many miles I covered with that old Columbia. Not to mention skinned elbows garnered on sandy corners in the spring. Helmets were for race car drivers, and back then a few motorcycle racers also used them.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
When I was little, hockey players didn't us helmets. It seems pretty odd now.