OT: My first car accident...

Morning everyone,

I left work yesterday afternoon to go to Harveys to pickup some lunch. On the way back, I was stopped at a red light (first car, curb lane) at a busy intersection here in London Ontario for about 10 seconds and then I heard a THUD and my Ranger moved forward (I had my foot firmly on the break).

Oh Fark I thought, I looked in my rearview and saw a red Dodge Caravan, sh*t, sh*t, sh*t I thought. I put on my four ways and got of the truck. I looked at my rear bumper and couldn't see much damage, looked like it was tilted under slightly. Caravan's license plate and cover is smashed in and the bumper is all messed up. I am in Canada, and it is cold and snowy, but the road was dry, this guy should have been able to stop. I head to the drivers window and he rolls it down, "Sorry Man", he says. I reply "Sorry does not quite cover it". I ask him for some ID, his license and insurance. There might not be much damage, but I want his info in case there are things I cannot see. My plan is to take the truck to the dealership and have them give it a through look over. Guy hums and hahs, says "Hey, there is no reason to get the Police involved". This guy is either drunk or very low on the IQ scale, he is not speaking very well. I hadn't mentioned anything about the Police, I should have paid more attention to this remark. He starts to get his wallet out and suggests we turn into the parking lot as we are holding up traffic at a major intersection (Clark and Dundas for any local people). I get out a note pad and pen and write down the make, model and license plate of the van. I then get back into my truck and turn into the parking lot. He does not. The third car does turn in and stops to talk to me. The lady asks, "Was he supposed to follow you in here?" I reply "Yes he was". "He left", she says. She asks if I got the license plate and gives me a note with her name, number and what she wrote down.

I go into a store to use the phone, I call the police. The police are there in about 15 minutes. I am with the police for about 45 minutes as they take a report. They show me a picture of the guy and ask if it is him, I say it is. He is known to them. He has no license and is under suspension. The dispatch a cruiser to his house to keep an eye on it to make sure he does not go out.

I am asked to follow the officer to the goof balls house and to wait nearby in case I have to identify him.

With two cruisers outside his house, I wait in a nearby parking lot about another 45 minutes. Finally the police come out and I speak with the officer. I am told they are calling him an ambulance as when they were talking with him, he was fading in and out. They cannot charge him with DUI because he was home alone for a period of time and could have started drinking when he got home. He does have 5 previous DUI's, a suspended license, no insurance, and was probably drunk at the time. He was charged under our Federal law with Leaving the Scene of an Accident, which is a pretty serious charge. I am told that I might be called to trial if this goes to court.

The officer was very nice, polite and courteous. He thanks me for waiting around and for the help I have been.

When I got home I called my brother (GM of a car dealership) to see when I can get my truck in for a full once over. There doesn't seem to be any damage, and if the guy had just given me any info, that might have been the end of it.

This ruined my Day. I never did have lunch yesterday and I hope there isn't anything wrong with my truck.

What an idiot.

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Surely, it wasted your day, but consider it from an optimistic point of view. A (probably over the limit) driver ran into you and you weren't hurt. There was negligible damage to your vehicle and you lost some time that could have been put to better use. Under very similar circumstances, a friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver three years ago. I wish she'd have been as fortunate as you.

Reply to
Upscale

Hope there's nothing wrong with you. Today will tell the tale in your back and neck, but sounds like you might get off free.

Lady in a bigass Chrysler (talking on the phone) took a shot at my current Ranger when he was new. Bent the bumper under and scratched it. If you need the bumper, with scratch, but straight, it's in the shed....

Reply to
George

Send the f*ckwit to jail, he could have run over a little kid, driving drunk at lunchtime.

Reply to
Cult of Nurse's

I can't help but think what a miserable life he must have to continually do that. I also can't help but think he should be in jail where he might be forced to consider consequences.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

The modus operandi in Wisconsin in such situations is to ask the perp if he had been drinking since he got home. This is normally done is such a fashion as to suggest he'd be in a hell of a lot of trouble if he had. Once he answers "no", you slap the cuffs on him and ring up DUI #6.

He was charged

Yes, this is not nearly as serious in Wisconsin. In your scenario, he gets off with just a traffic citation, unless someone is injured, then he's f****d.

You're not hurt. Minor damage to your vehicle. No inoscent bystanders were hurt. Could have been worse. Think of this as one more incident that may lead to him getting real help, or real jail time. Either way, not a bad thing at all.

Yup

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

I was always under the impression that leaving the scene of an accident was considerably more serious than a traffic citation.

Reply to
Upscale

I got hit from behind by a drunk driver on March 15, 1989 and it broke my neck in two places. (double compression fracture, they called it) I spent the next 8 months wearing a hard neck brace.

I still have some problems from time to time, but pretty much recovered from it.

I was lucky I wasn't killed. The next person he meets might not be so lucky... String him up by the short hairs and don't cut him any slack.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

I really don't mean to be a weenie, but I don't care what time of day it is, or who is walking around! They could just as easily run over my wife, my mother, or my son. I really do not understand this selfish act, but then again I do not understand smoking either. At this point of my life, I am glad to not have to understand them myself.

Chris Mo>Send the f*ckwit to jail, he could have run over a little kid, driving

Reply to
Christopher Mooney

Reply to
George

"Groggy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com:

If his life is miserable it is probably because he has made it that way. Unless proven otherwise he gets absolutely NO sympathy.

Reply to
Joe Willmann

snipped-for-privacy@execpc.com (BIG JOE) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

and what good will that do? They have already taken away his license and he has been charged with multiple drunk driving charges. It is time to:

1) make it illegal for him to own or operate a motor vehicle. If caught violating he should be sent away for 5 - 10 years. 2) Confiscate any vehicles that he currently owns. 3) Place him in forced rehab. 4) Cane him.

If after 5 years he is clean and has lived up to the rules he can petition the court to get his driving/ownership privelages back. But to do so he has to give up the consumption of any alcoholic beverage.

Reply to
Joe Willmann

You may have saved someone else's life. That guy is a walking - and driving - time bomb. I know it was a real hassle but you did the right thing. Maybe, just maybe - they'll put this guy away for a while and maybe, just maybe get him into rehab and maybe, just maybe - he'll get "it" and maybe, just maybe, not kill himself and/or someone else.

In this country we put people in prison for smoking marijuana, have beer ads everywhere aimed at kids and lots of people on the road with no insurance, no license, multiple DUIs and blood alcohol levels that should kill them - but doesn't. Somethin' screwy about that.

You did good. Thank you.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Even if he doesn't "get it", putting him away for a while makes the rest of us just a bit safer for the duration that he's away.

[snip]

Let me add my thanks as well. My FIL was permanently disabled and nearly killed by a drunken driver some twenty years ago, so our family is well aware of the problems that clowns like this cause.

Doug Miller

Sorry the hear about your traffic encounter. Glad to hear that you are OK. I am on my third rear bumper in 7 years; dead stopped at a red light and idiots ran into me. I guess it is "get used to it" time.

Reply to
Alan Bierbaum

"David F. Eisan" wrote: snip of sad tale Sorry about your truck David. I had an idiot run into the rear of my Ranger shortly after I got it. Didn't hurt my bumper, but it trashed the front of their car. Too bad he was in a minivan. At least you weren't hurt and the truck probably wasn't either. There's a reason the Ranger came in tops in the crash tests foro trucks its size. Next time you get a truck, get a F-150 and put a pintel hook on the back bumper. That way it'll be high enough that however rear-ends you won't drive away. Sorry, Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Just an idle thought, do you have an ice pick. Does he have tires or a gas tank? Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Joe Willmann wrote.....

Joe, I couldn't agree more. In Wisconsin, we are more interested in lowering the BAC limit to .08 than cracking down on repeat offenders, who typically blow .20 or higher, and won't stop until they kill someone. I would move the lower limit back to .10, and create a minimum of two levels. You can then make .20 30 days in jail on the first offense, and a felony on the second. I would also up the penalties on repeat .10 offenders as well. Repeat offenders would also not be allowed to own a vehicle for five years, subject to random checks every six months or so.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

Just FYI, that may be a little difficult. For example, my name is on the title (and loan) for the minivan my wife drives.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Just a coincidence today: That's Saturday January 31.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita