OT: Motorcycle AIRBAGS???? Believe it or not!

Page 5 of 7

Hogwash. The difference in friction between miscellaneous bits of metal and the road versus the rider and the road is what counts. Once again, getting off the bike (pushing away and decelerating) is not to avoid accident, merely the kind of injury involved with getting entangled in the bike when an accident is unavoidable.
On 9/19/2005 4:26 PM George mumbled something about the following:

yourself and others.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Then be surprised. Look at any highspeed video of an airbag deploying.

No, I'm not assuming anything, I said that being held onto the bike is probably more dangerous than being catapulted over. You need a lesson in reading comprehension.

with a car in 1988. The motorcycle was buried into the hood, totalling the car, I was thrown free of the car. Had I stayed with the motorcycle, I probably would have lost both legs below the knees. In the case where I saw a motorcycle hit the side of a car that had ran a red light, the rider was thrown over the car, the motorcycle was in completely in the back seat of the car, killing the passenger in the back seat.

I didn't say an airbag would interfer. You really need to learn how to read.

when a car hit a large pothole on a hiway, another when hitting a set of railroad tracks. I've also seen it happen in a police chase video when someone trying to outrun the cops hit a bad dip in the road (not saying the suspect didn't deserve it, but it wasn't a crash when it deployed).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7
Odinn wrote:

Having done that, I cannot recall ever seeing one blow out sideways and then straighten out. Regardless, I daresay the collison of tire with whatever the bike has run into will likely moot the issue of holding onto the grips.

If you are not assuming anything you cannot logically reach any conclusion.
My supposition, at least, was consistent with your remarks.

I never said you said that an airbag would interfere. You really need to learn how to read.

I've heard of the (or a, if more than one) railroad track case. Not having seen the tracks, it is unclear if that was a crash prior to deployment. Some railroad tracks are nasty enough that crossing them at high speed will damage the front end so badly as to make it impossible to maintain control. For all I know he same may have been true of the pothole. The point being that improper deloyment is so rare as to not be much of an issue for cars. I'm not clear on how many GoldWings are driven hard over curbs and the like, so it may be more of an issue with motorcycles than with cars.
The kinds of accidents you describe seem to be more germaine. Honda claims, IIRC that the GoldWing airbag is only effective below about 35 mph. I dunno what happens above that speed, maybe the rider catapults over the handlebars.
--

FF

No
Do you ride a motorcycle?
Not for a few years. Recently sold a Triumph.

Don't know and neither do you. Have you seen the design? Do you know hte size? the mounting? Think about how it would cushion you if it just shot straight up in front of you, not touching until you are being tossed over the handlebars. Would you rather hit an airbag or the side of a tree?

Have you disconnected your auto airbags? You may be 100% correct, you may be 100% wrong. You are, however, condemning a product you just don't know much about. Why not keep an open mind until you do know?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

On 9/18/2005 5:04 PM Edwin Pawlowski mumbled something about the following:

Do you even read what's posted? Doesn't look like it.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7
David wrote:

Not a particularly new idea. Some senator proposed seat belts be required for motorcycles about 30 years ago. I guess this is for those who don't like seat belts.
Charlie Self wrote:

SawStop; now the Honda m/c airbags. It's a wonder we are allowed to sleep on beds more than 4 inches off the floor. and bunk beds! Now THOSE are safety hazards. One of my cousins got knocked out cold, falling out of a bunk bed.
Dave
[tidied up]

How incredibly stupid was THAT idea. The whole idea is to get away from that bouncing lump of metal after a spill (and pray your leathers stay together)

I was kind of thinking that also. Why would you want to tie yourself to a potentially spinning, rotating mass of metal that weighs more than you do with only yourself between that metal and the pavement? [shudder]
snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com says...

When I bought my 1st motorcycle (50+ years ago) the dealer took me to a big grassy field and had me practice laying it down and getting away from it. If anyone didn't learn it to his satisfaction, they didn't get a bike.
Can you hear the insurance companies cringing?
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

lgb wrote:

Gold Wing for PRACTICE! They don't even want you to fire up the engine until you've paid for the thing.
dave
It seems to me that if you've got time to "lay it down" you've got time to get out of the way.
Course I only ride 10 or 20 thousand miles a year...
John Emmons

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net says...

about 20 years ago where a car ran a light in front of me. I didn't have time or space to turn, but laying it down slowed it enough that the car was past before it and I tried to occupy the same space. In that case, I didn't get off, just yanked the bike back upright and checked my pants for brown stains :-).
BTW, I didn't even know I remembered how to lay it down - I certainly didn't have time for thinking about it.
And there are those times the bike goes down without your consent and getting away from it is required. I've had a couple of those too.
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

lgb wrote:

Long years ago, I used to ride a lot. There were times when reaction time had to be quick, choice was minimal, and I laid the bike down as what I felt, in a true split second, was the only option. Possibly, some of the guys I knew could have turned the machine. Possibly not. Most of them, like me, didn't track the miles ridden, because a lot was off-road, some of it competition. Too, I didn't track miles because I usually rode at least a half-dozen different bikes a year, often a dozen. And, too, unlike truck drivers, we didn't get paid by the mile.
I've never been without at least one motorcycle, usually more for the last 45 yrs. and have never even considered laying it down to avoid a collision. Maybe I would if I was going to run into the side of an 18 wheeler and I thought I might be able to slide under but even then you usually high side and go flipping. The brakes and rubber tires on the pavement will slow you up a whole lot faster than steel on the bike or you tumbling thru the air. Dick
--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at

I guess you guys are using another definition of laydown from the one used here in Motorcycle Safety. Laydown is a graceful way of accepting the inevitable, not an attempt to avoid it. Rather than ride the bike into a obstacle, or attempt to stay seated if it is at an unrecoverable angle, you use the laydown to get clear of it by remaining behind, not under.
It's the difference between a three-point heels - ass - head parachute landing versus the PLF, which distributes the momentum along the less vulnerable portions of your anatomy.
George wrote:

Agreed. Of course, today, no shirts, no shoes, shorts and bobtailed helmets seem to be de rigeur amongst the riding crowds of all ages. Coming from the pre-electric start days, I found shoes a VERY useful accessory, and boots even better. Long sleeve shirts, and jeans, were a minimum, along with a jet style helmet, with leathers, even very light ones, preferable to jeans and a shirt.
I tend to envy--I guess that's the word--riders who have never been in a position to have to lay a bike down. One of the reasons I quit riding years ago was my inability to convince my right hand that my reflexes had slowed enough to make less twist a good idea. In truth, tootling along on two wheels wasn't really what I enjoyed. Dragging footpegs, sliding and generally overdoing were, which is why I found off-road riding more fun than road riding, finally.
On 9/11/2005 8:52 AM George mumbled something about the following:

reason, and MSF considers a laydown as lowsiding.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

lightweight :) 25k avg for me, and some of the guys I ride with on occassions ask me when I'm going to start riding my bike (they avg between 40k and 80k a year).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7