OT - locksets.

Page 5 of 5
On Sat, 1 May 2010 14:53:30 -0600, the infamous "Max"

And they break in, see that, and immediately think "Wow, if this stuff is just lying around, I wonder where he keeps the really good stuff!" ;)
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

They also make insurance companies happy.

Yes, they tend to be cowards, also. If your neighbor's house is an easier target, that's where they'll go. Make yours less attractive (to them) and that's where good locks come in.

Right. Look at your neighborhood. If they all have bars on the windows, move!
Max wrote:

Did a job a few months back where the owner did extensive research on Locks and windows. Most of the Alarm Companies said most of the burglaries occurred at the front door, specially double doors with window. Kick in the door or break the window. Second windows opened and only protected by a screen. The owner is an engineer and he himself developed a screen that has very small signal wires running through it. When the screen is removed or cut it breaks a very small current and triggers the alarm. His concern was at night when it was cool and he wanted to leave his windows opened, also didn't want the window to trigger alarm every time you opened and closed windows. Think he's in the process of patenting it.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

I've seen double mag-sensored windows, where the window can be opened to the second sensor. If disturbed when the alarm is set, the alarm goes off.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

Those have been around since the 80's to my certain knowledge. I thought about buying them when I was having an alarm installed in a house I owned then. They were really expensive, so I didn't. -- Doug
Max wrote:

Why do you want to do this? 1. Protect your property while you're gone; 2. Protect yourself while you're there; 3. Both #1 and #2; 4. Cosmetic.
If #1, consider burglar bars and doors. If #2, a 12-gauge would be cheaper.

Consider the Kwikset deadbolt with the numeric keypad. You can set it to automatically extend the deadbolt after some time interval, it's now self-handing and there's an LED to let you know the door's locked. I have the older model, which is great, but the newer one is smaller on the interior, easier to install and works fine. The key cylinder for Kwikset can also be mastered to any suitable key by the installer with no need for a locksmith.
I also second the thought that if a burglar wants in, he'll get in. However, the goal is to slow them down and force them to make as much noise as possible. With enough hassle facing him, he'll just go next door. With that in mind, I install my deadbolts and strike plates using long, hardened screws that go well into the crip. All you need to do is be careful to not overtighten them and warp the casing.
I once thought of Schlage as being good- better than Kwikset- but changed that misconception after installing 5 of their exterior door sets and deadbolts on my home in Raleigh. Within a couple years, the brass had turned black. I contacted Schlage and their attitude was, "Tough Luck, you're out of warranty. How about buying our NEW coated brass sets, which will never darken?" The words, Push, Cram and Shove came to mind. <Grin>
--
Nonny
On most days,

re: "Consider the Kwikset deadbolt with the numeric keypad."
I just installed one of them a few weeks ago. So far, I love it.
I rarely used my front door in the last 20 years since I don't like to carry anything more than my car key and fob. My work building and office unlock with a card key - I just flash the wallet - and my garage has it's own keypad.
Now that I have the push button lockset, I use the front door much more regularly.
I had heard that you had to be more precise when installing these locks, but I'm certainly no locksmith and had no problem. The entry door I installed was pre-bored for the handle set, both door and jamb, but only the door was pre-bored for the deadbolt. After adjusting the handle set for the "one finger click" mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I bored the jamb for the deadbolt and it operates as smooth as can be.
One button locks the deadbolt on the way out, and a 5 digit code unlocks. Sweet!
The best I found was Abloy. But it is very commercial looking.

6 normal dead bolts. In a row. Lock 3. If they are pickers, they'll be unlocking the locked 3 and locking the unlocked ones....that could take a while.
On 5/3/2010 1:34 PM, Robatoy wrote:

ROTFLMAO ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Isn't that what Whoopi Goldberg did in "Burglar" last century?
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

I'm wondering whether a "set-gun" might be a solution.
Max (if they just weren't illegal)