OT-Kinda: Ordering Parts and Shipping Cost

Page 1 of 2
I cannot figure out how some companies determine how deliveries are managed. I just received a switch for our Nordictrac treadmill about 20 minutes ago. Low-end switch with a $3 price tag plus $7 shipping. It came UPS! I checked the tracking about the time he pulled in the driveway and when he handed it to me it was its 11th transaction. The package was a small padded envelope about the 2/3 size of a deck of cards. Even the UPS guy said he didn't understand why they didn't put a stamp on it.
RonB
Add pictures here
βœ–
"RonB" wrote ...

I had to track down and buy some small electronic components recently. These things will fit into the palm of your hand or in an envelope. They are hard to find, can not be purchased locally and are only carried by a couple companies. Some of these guys want $8 - $15 for shipping and handling. At least some one else is paying for it. Three of the items cost less than the shipping.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Apr 5, 9:54 am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

I switched from several suppliers to those who will send me stuff via post. Example: A box of insert blades for one of my routerbits, a box smaller than a match-box, can vary in shipping (and in my case duty and custom clearing fees) UPS $ 44.00 USPS $ 9.00 Both include shipping and border fees. Here's the catch, some will not ship USPS because you can't track the shipment. I will take a chance on an $ 80.00 item and keep $ 35 in my pocket.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/05/11 1:07 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I ordered something last week, it was only coming from Scarborough, they charged $12 shipping via Canada Post, if I drove there myself it might have been $6 in gas, plus an hour of my time.....package arrived with $3.50 in postage on it. Ummm, hello.
--
Froz...

βœ–

In my experience, shipping via the much maligned USPS and Canada Post (and even Correos de Mιxico) is faster, cheaper and more reliable than private sector couriers. This experience has proven true when I lived in Newfoundland, New Brunswick and now the Yukon. Maybe it's because I live in small relatively remote places. I don't know what it's like in the big centres, but Canada Post has yet to screw up on me, while Fed Ex and UPS have on a number of occasions. Actually DHL hasn't yet, but I have hardly used them at all. Greyhound is good as was Canadian Airlines/CP Air air cargo, but Air Canada does not do cargo to the Yukon.
Luigi
Luigi
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/5/2011 12:07 PM, Robatoy wrote: ...

That's not so at least in the US...just got a small gizmo from Tool Barn via USPS and it had tracking number that showed when it arrived at local PO.
And, I'm in agreement that for stuff that they can handle, they're at least as trustworthy as far as handling and as reliable as UPS.
I think it's all that the big-volume guys only want to deal w/ one shipper, period, simply to minimize their logistics. Everything fitting one size is good for their efficiency whether it's best possible is secondary.
βœ–

The couriers make volume deals with the big shippers like Amazon.
That whole S & H scam is just that, in many cases a scam. "Free toothbrush, S&H $ 16.00.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/5/2011 1:57 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Quite likely, after all don't maps still show it as the great uncharted? :)

For that sort of thing, sure. But, it is a real cost to legitimate business that either has to be added into the price of the item or collected somehow. Since particularly online folks look at the lowest possible price first, it's a loss of competitive edge in the search engine/comparative shopper 'bot to have it included.
We shall reap what we sow is so often true in all areas.
βœ–

the country, but still...
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message wrote

But what was the item worth? The $1 deal is to get around paying a commission to eBay and make it up on shipping costs.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote

Exactly! And there are thousands doing that. Report it to eBay and they do nothing.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Maybe they lose tracking at the border with Canada? I'm not sure.

The couriers make volume deals with the big shippers like Amazon. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In my part of the US, UPS in turn makes a Volume Deal with the USPS, so all my Amazon stuff gets delivered by the USPS.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think much of it has to do with insurance and liability. Initially, when I was put on Bridge City Tools' waiting list for a Jointmaker, I was told that USPS would not insure it for delivery, whereas UPS and FedEx would. So, I was prepared to swallow the cost and go the insured route when the order was filled. Two months later when I got lucky and they came up with a Jointmaker for me, I was told that USPS would insure it. So, I had it shipped USPS happy to avoid UPS and FedEx handling and brokerage charges which would have been substantial on an order of that high value.
I got the order problem free with no duty or handling charges, but I think now that I was given the wrong information when I was told that USPS would insure an order like that. In any event, it all turned out well, so I'm complacent.

I'm guessing that order costs and details are more quantifiable with the bigger shippers.
Add pictures here
βœ–
RonB wrote the following:

On-line sellers advertise very low prices, then make up the difference in shipping and handling. I do much of my ordering from Amazon. I have a Prime account, so many of the stuff is shipped 2 day free. If you want overnight, then add a few dollars extra for the shipping.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Are you in Illinois? Amazon still doesn't charge tax to Alabama residents. Since Woodcraft had the Delta 18- drill press on sale a few weeks back, I got financial review board approval (still don't know what that's going to cost me ;-). Turned out that it was cheaper to order from Amazon at the "regular" price. Woodcraft wanted blood to ship it (100mi round trip isn't free either).
Add pictures here
βœ–

Logistics. Less trouble and less expensive to use a single company that will pick up on a daily basis than to hand deliver to the shippers location, if the size of the package you got is the exception.
Add pictures here
βœ–

USPS will pick up - even at residences.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Which proves my point, you would have to send some one to the post office, and iroically the post office does not deliver to every home.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/6/2011 9:06 AM, Leon wrote:

No, it says exactly the opposite -- U_S_PS _also_ has onsite pickup either on call or scheduled.

Agreed, they don't deliver to the house here, because we choose to use a PO Box rather than have a rural box...
However, I don't know that there's any residence in the US which doesn't get USPS service that would choose to do so altho there are very rural areas out here that have rural delivery routes that run 3 days/wk, for example, rather than daily since they may be a 200-mile round route w/ a half-dozen ranches total. If they want/need it quicker, there are self-access boxes at the PO that are 24/7 accessible.
βœ–