Security lights, revisited

A while back I posted asking for recommendations for security lights. I did that because the reflectors on my Heath-Zenith lights were badly rusted and I was thinking of replacing the lights rather than de-rust and paint. I also emailed H-Z asking if I could purchase just the reflectors.

Guess what...a box just arrived from H-Z with 16 brand new, free reflectors. No postage due either. They just zoomed to the top of my Good Guy list :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Vise-Grip provides free replacement springs and screws for the various sizes of Vise-Grips. My smallest Vise-Grip suffered from an encounter with the flame of a MAPP torch. When I asked about a replacement spring, they asked for my address.

John

Reply to
news

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Reply to
hrhofmann

Quien sabe? If they were available at HD, maybe $3-6 each?

Reply to
dadiOH

$10 worth of reflectors is a nice gesture, $100 is *really* nice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had a similar experience with Garant, the Canadian shovel maker

I had busted a fitting in my hose reel because I left it outside in the winter & it froze. I called them to buy a new part, but they just asked for my address and did not want any money even though leaving an undrained hose reel in the Yukon (or anywhre in Canada other than in the southern banana belts) in the witner is a surefire recipe for stuff breaking through freezing water.

Anyway they will continue to get all my business: I make it a point to buy their products even when the chinese crap is cheaper.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

one of my co-workers dropped it and broke the case it came in. When I wrote them asking about the cost of a replacement (one of those web forms where you fill in name, address, etc.) I figured I would hear from them in a couple of days. I did hear from them by finding a box on my front porch 2 days later with a replacement case in it. I'll be looking at Gearwrench a little harder when I need something next time.

Allen

Reply to
allen476

Probably got them $1,000 worth of advertising...nice way to do biz.

Reply to
norminn

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote

Anyway they will continue to get all my business: I make it a point to buy their products even when the chinese crap is cheaper.

Luigi

I have Vise Grips pliers. I have about three dozen, maybe more. I use the

11R for clamping for welding. I will not buy any piece of Chinese crap vise grip type tools. The only thing that can go wrong with them unless you drive over them is the spring, and they will mail you those for free. There are some things I would buy that is Chinese crap, but some things, you want the real deal.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve B

So who did end up with the ownership of the name, when H-Z (the original company) went belly up? Or did the part of the company that made stuff like security lights keep the original name, and they just spun off all the other divisions?

I went to one of the auctions when they shut down the computer factory. Lots were too big for me to afford at the time, but it was still a highly interesting experience. Note that the factory was in St. Joseph, MI, not China, and you will have some idea how long ago that was. I think that division had been sold a couple times by then.

Reply to
aemeijers

Yeah, I just googled Heath Zenith ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Even I who only do this stuff as a hobby and one of several and try not to spend much, and am usually happy with crap tools, have noticed how much better vice-grips are than their imitators. YOu can pound on them with a hammer and it does nothing to them. Their jaw teeth stay sharp.

The other thing I no longer buy junk is philips screwdrivers.

Reply to
mm

NASA bought Heath-Kit and the space shuttles were actually assembled from kits. What's delaying the next space program is the need to write insturctions and for big boxes to put everything in.

Reply to
mm

------------------------------- That's why Sears & Roebuck exists.

Been using Craftsman screwdrivers for almost 50 years.

Watch for sales.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Might the Phillips actually be ponzi screw drivers or JIP screw drivers?

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

No, I haven't gotten to such fancy stuff yet.

Someone tried to see me ponzi drivers but I could see that I would lose my savings if I bought in.

Anyhow the problem is that the edges break off in the middle, and then they are oonly good as awls after I sharpen that.

Reply to
mm