Cost of appliane parts

Last august I replaced my 5 year old dishwasher because the pump motor asse mbly failed. Its cost 350 bucks. new dishwasher 500 bucks. I am sorry I did take it to the scrap yard, my new dishwasher has failed 2 times under warr anty, requiring for trips, fortunately under warranty.

Now my fridge got noisey:

After investigation both fans are noisey, The one that cools the compressor despite oiling the bearings only runs sometimes. The fan in the freezer ru ns ok but is getting annoyingly noisey. Its grating on me:(

Called to see about those fans, both cost over 100 bucks each. The fridge w as produced in 1996. I am reluctant to spend tons of bucks but fear a new f ridge will be failing before it arrived. espically since it needs a new sol enoid valve for the icemaker......

isnt it sad new stuff is so poorly designed...

Reply to
bob haller

sembly failed. Its cost 350 bucks. new dishwasher 500 bucks. I am sorry I d id take it to the scrap yard, my new dishwasher has failed 2 times under wa rranty, requiring for trips, fortunately under warranty.

or despite oiling the bearings only runs sometimes. The fan in the freezer runs ok but is getting annoyingly noisey. Its grating on me:(

was produced in 1996. I am reluctant to spend tons of bucks but fear a new fridge will be failing before it arrived. espically since it needs a new s olenoid valve for the icemaker......

Did you look on Ebay? Check online parts stores? Even just googling with the part # can find other sources, cross reference it, etcand it's not unusual for a part to have a wide price range depending on the supplier. I agree $100 for a fan sounds like a lot.

Another thing I've wondered about with fridges is why they don't have some kind of filter to keep dust/dirt from getting to the coils. Mine sucks air in right off the floor and last time I looked, even the grill was all fouled up.

Reply to
trader_4

Check out the prices for the fans well on the net. Just went through this with my washing machine when basement flooding killed the motor. Found a new one for about $150. Go here to get the part number. Use it in your search.

Vic Smith

It's called planned obsolescence. I read a book about it some 50 years ago: _The Waste Makers_ by Vance Packard.

Check for after-market parts. You don't have to buy the -branded ones.

Another thing: How many hours work at average/modal/minimum (take your pick) wage did it take to buy the 1996 refrigerator? How many hours to buy a new replacement?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

A 20 year old fridge needs a couple fans and your bitching? Really? Wow!

Good thing you didn't buy an iFridge from Apple. That would have been obsolete in 3 years.

Reply to
Jack

Look >

The evaporator fan normally doesn't cost any more than about $15 to $20.

What probably happened is that you phoned the factory authorized depot for your make of fridge. They are going to put in an OEM part (like a Maytag or Whirlpool or Frigidaire evaporator motor) The OEM parts are going to cost at least twice as much as generic parts, or about $30 to $40, and the factory authorized repair depot is going to make a 100% mark-up on them, so they're going to charge you $60 to $80 for that fan motor... and another $80 per hour to put it in.

If you can replace that fan motor yourself, you can buy a UEFM (Universal Evaporator Fan Motor) for about $15 to $20 at any appliance parts shop. Rotom makes generic evaporator fan motors for fridges. They make quite a few different models, depending on what the OEM evaporator fan motor for your fridge looks like.

The condensor fan will cost more, but it shouldn't be anywhere near $100.

Reply to
nestork

Jack posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Now that's just rotten apples...

Reply to
Tekkie®

When my Sears Whirlpool refrigerator was about 32 years old, the fan in he freezer started making noise. New generic one on Amazon probably was iirc under 20 dollars. Went in in 15 minutes. Ground wire was too short to attach, but the whole thing was covered with a plastic panel anyhow. No way to touch it. I could have lengthened the ground wire if I thought it important.

Reply to
micky

I suppose it depends on how you want to spend your time and money, learning ability, and if you enjoy fixing things. There all kinds of parts if you want to fix what you have.

Fan?
Lots of how to do it videos on youtube... FWIW I put a half gallon of hot water in my old dishwasher when I use it because it's almost always "dry" from lack of use. Wets the seals in it when first turned on, so it doesn't run dry waiting for the water fill valve to kick in. New appliances, shoes,a new car, granite counter tops, crown molding, best looking yard on the block, a cordless drill... whatever it takes to keep the little lady happy. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

Q: What's the difference between your paycheck and your penis?

A: You don't have to beg a woman to blow your paycheck.

Reply to
Misogynist

Of course it is important. If yhour house got hit by lightening and burned down, the electrical inspector may come in and take apart your refrigerator and declare it a code violation. Then your insurance company won't pay.

I hear stories like that on the internet all the time so they must be true.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

thanks to everyone looks like I will pick up the fans on ebay, Dont know why I didnt think of that.

Reply to
bob haller

This could be partially true. See below.

Well that's a good question, if code violations are a valid reason for fire insurance not to pay. And I don't know the final answer I thought the insurance insured me for my mistakes and my negligence as well as the mistakes and negligence of others, as well as many things that are no one's mistake (but probably not a flood, or iirc a tornado.)

First I guarantee you that it is not enough just to find a violation. The violation has to be a link in the chain which causes the fire. I don't know if it has to be the proximate cause or not. But if it has nothing to do with the fire, or they can't prove it is a link in the chain, it's not a defense for the insurance company.

This is similar to a traffic accident, where one side often raises the "argument" the other side didnt' have a valid driver's license. While the government might punish him for driving without a license, it doesn't mean he caused the accident. He has to have driven badly or had a car that failed to cause the accident.

Or where someone will back into a car that is illegally parked and say he's not responsible because the guy shouldn't have been parked there. That's not a legal defense either, even when it's true. You're not allowed to hit the guy even if there is no way to get out without hitting him. (You have to call the police and they have to have him towed out., I think.)

I can't prove it here, but iff the ground is bad but it had nothing to do with causing the fire, it'ss no more grounds to refuse payment than if I hadn't paid my water bill, or I'd failed to pay my taxes. or if I were convicted of murder. Those too are unrelated.

If the bad fan ground IS a link in the chain that causes the fire, I don't know if that's enough to allow them to refuse payment or not. I wish I did.

Reply to
micky

I was wrong about the time. I remember now that it was a little tricky getting the white panels off on the side (there was a screw in 2 of the

4 pegs that held up the shelf) , which I think had to be done to get the back panel off. Before that I had to take off the deocrative plate over the knob etc. That just lifted up. Then there were only two screws and a couple plugs to take out the fan and pull off the 2 or 3 wires.

My mother taught me to arrange removed parts in the order I remove them. That always helps, but going back still took at least 10 minutes. So it woudl have been at least 30 minutes if I hadn't paused.

The extra time spent trying to connect the ground wire and thinking aobut the topic probably mad e the whole thing take a little over an hour.

Reply to
micky

Depends on where you live... :)

Aron

Even in that case, the judge didn't make an actual ruling resolving the case. The judge just refused to grant a summary judgement and left it for another court to decide the actual case.

Reply to
trader_4

True, but it was a *legal defense*...

Reply to
Aron

Well I didn't have that situation in mind anyway. I originally said "back into a car" and I was thinking of a moving car that was going slow enough and there was time enough to see the other car, but the guy didn't look or thought he could squeeze through. I can easily imagine on a mostly dark street, especially with a dark car, despite the reflective tail light lenses, hitting a double parked car and I'm not saying that would be the driver's negigence. But still, it's not because the double parker was illegally parked. It's because the judge or jury decides it's not negligence to hit a car parked in a traffic lane. Oh, the driver was waiting for a parking place of a car about to leave, with her brake or hazard lights on. . One certainly seems entitled to do that. And since he hit 3 other cars first, it seems pretty clear the cause was not her negligence. But if she were truly double parked with no lights, that woudl be different.

There was a very quiet street in a Baltimore suburb, and everyone had a driveway and everyone parked in the driveway or garage, but one guy had a car that never moved and was parked on the street and was covered with a car cover that also covered the reflective tail light lenses, and maybe the first time I drove that way, I was partially in the traffic lane but partly in the parking lane, not sure why, and I almost hit the car. I went that way a lot and never hit it, but I noticed how hard it was to see even when I looked for it, and eventually I stopped and knocked and told hiim he ought to put some reflectors on the car cover or someone would hit it and kill himself. The owner seemed not to care. What a jerk. I think several months later something changed, can't remember what. Even though he was afaik legally parked, even if the law didn't specify reflectors, if someone got hurt, I can imagine a judge holding him negligent for not having any. I wish I'd said that when I talked to him.

Negligence is the one branch of law where people may have no way of knowing what the law is until after they've broken it.

Reply to
micky

You originally said "that's not a legal defense" (above). It was. I said it depends on where you live (not in NY). That's true, and I provided an example.

Backing or going forward in NY in this example, it's still a legal defense.

It's ok to be wrong. Anytime you make an absolute statement it usually has to be wrong somewhere. But in this case I think you missed my smiley at the end of my original comment (above). You can have the last word... :) :) :) :)

Reply to
Aron

So, how much is the fan on Ebay?

Reply to