OT: just a suggestion

Page 5 of 8
On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 19:52:57 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

UVerse is fiber to the house, at least here. They said they were "investigating" copper from curb to house technology but they weren't offering it. It was either fiber to the house or nothing. It took them a while for it to sink in that we had fiber in our front yard, so connecting us wasn't a huge deal (we've had UVerse for a couple of months).

[...]

And therefore everywhere, eh? Perhaps you should learn not to make such hasty generalizations....
On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 01:56:47 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Miller, you are an ass. I said nothing of the kind, in fact the opposite ("...at least here").

Uverse is fiber. And you have the gall to call *me* an ass...
On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 21:27:45 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Yes, you *are* an ass, and will always *be* an ass. It's *YOU*.
Well, I'm not sure how you got out of the bozo bin -- new email addy, maybe? -- but it's time to put you back in.
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 00:50:09 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

I see you haven't changed a bit. Yours is one killfile everyone should aspire to. Bye, now.

Nothing is digital, in communications. ;-) The digital data is encoded on an analog signal, just as it is with a modem so there really isn't a difference.

I believe it is, at least to the curb. That's the only way you're going to get enough bandwidth to carry Internet and a few hundred channels of video (plus on-demand).

From the pole to the house, perhaps. It was probably fiber, or perhaps coax, on the pole.
Leon is right - I have ADSL advanced it is digital and my Cisco GIG routers are hooked on and run just fine.
Martin
On 12/24/2015 10:54 AM, Leon wrote:

says...

Many Cisco routers have DSL modems built in. That doesn't make the signalling on the DSL side digital.

On 12/26/2015 2:14 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

All you need to remember is that "Leon is right"! ;~)

No, it's not.

Well, I have Uverse. And the lines coming to my house are copper wires, not fiber.

What, exactly, do you suppose the D stands for?
On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 01:54:48 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Ok, asshole, define "digital".

In the spirit of "Peace on earth, good will to men" I offer the following 2 links as references only ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_U-verse
On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 12:15:38 +0000, Spalted Walt

I don't see a definition of "digital", in there. DSL is no more "digital" than the old "56K" modems. No one considered them to be "digital".
On Dec 25, 2015, krw wrote

While digital signals do in fact travel over analog paths (there is no other kind), this does not mean that there is no distinction between digital signals and analog signals.
A good analogy is a photograph (from the days of silver-based film):
Every time a photo of say a landscape is copied, it gets blurrier, and information (sharpness in this case) is forever lost.
However, it the photo is of for instance a page of text, there is no loss of information (the text) so long as the accumulated blurring is not so severe that one cannot make the letters out. If one retypes the text before the blurring has gone too far, there is no loss - the text is perfectly regenerated. This regeneration process can be repeated any number of times without loss.
This is the core difference between digital signals and analog signals.
Joe Gwinn
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 11:52:42 -0500, Joseph Gwinn

OK, you haven't given me that distinction.

...as long as... That's true of the silver photograph, too. As long as the tree looks like a tree, it still looks like a tree. IOW, you have *loads* of redundant information. That doesn't make it "digital" or "analog".

It's all odds. If you recreate information before it's lost, it's not lost. That's not the difference between "analog" and "digital", at least not one used by anyone I know.

On Dec 26, 2015, krw wrote

Hmm. Please provide a better definition, with sources cited.
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 17:37:40 -0500, Joseph Gwinn

Digital is 1's and 0's. Analog is everything in between. You know, like the difference between an analog computer and a digital computer?
OK, let me ask you the question I posed a day or so ago: Were V.90 or V.92 modems (over POTS lines, of course) digital or analog? If you consider them to be analog, in what material way do they differ from DSL? If you consider them to be digital, name me one other person who believes this. ;-)
Oh, to answer your question, in this area the words "analog" and "digital" have become next to meaningless. Everything is analog (there are A/D and D/A converters at both ends, with the As in the middle, on the wire side - leaning the definition of the communication protocol considerably to the 'A' side, IMO).
On Dec 26, 2015, krw wrote