OT: just a suggestion

Page 4 of 8

I think of the luggable when I try to move my Lenovo Y710 laptop. 17" screen, quite a bit of dead/useless weight. I replaced it with a 15" laptop in the Thinkpad line that runs cooler, faster, and has better battery life. I sure don't miss the extra 2" of screen space.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 17:00:44 -0500, krw wrote:

I even remember the Osbourne :-).
--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

On 12/27/2015 6:21 PM, Trenbidia wrote:

But, but, but did you ever master the mysteries of the Timex Sinclair? ;)
On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 20:02:27 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

I've still got my OS9/A-Dos equippef 6809 CoCo2 with dual DSDD floppies, composite video output, and built-in eprom programmer and parallel port (all custom) And my modified MC10 (set up to run off 12 volt DC instead of AC - including conversion for true RS232) which we were setting up as a rallye computer"back in the day" The HP progranmmable calculator we used was already much faster and better than the Kurta "peppermill" - the MC10 would have been even better but we couldn't get an accepable display at the time, and then I got married and quit rallying.

That's one of those machines I'd like to play with for a bit, just to see what it's all about. Don't know why, perhaps it's the name.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 20:02:27 -0600, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

I've actually got one of those I picked up at a garage sale a couple of years ago for $1. I'm not sure it'll hook up to todays TVs so I haven't got around to trying it yet.
--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

On 12/26/2015 9:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ahhhh be careful with UPS. My BIL used UPS and kept ruining DVR's. If the power is out long enough you end up with a brown out type situation and the DVR did not do well with that situation. The Dish company finally told him to not use a UPS and he stopped having problems with the DVR. Now if your UPS will simply shut off at a certain low voltage point It may not be a problem.

Back-UPS. Use a Smart-Ups from the same company, or a real UPS like a Powerware Elite (dual conversion) and the loads don't even know the UPS is there.
Absolute minimum protection is a "line interactive" unit that has buck/boost votage regulation if you are not going to spring for dual conversion.

Good advice. UPSs tend to be pretty dirty power-wise, too, though I can't see why a DVR would care. A UPS *shouldn't* allow brown-outs, either, but I guess you get what you pay for - sometimes.
says...

For the longest time we were getting fairly regular very short outages-- not enough to even notice the lights blinking but the clocks would reset and the computers would reboot. We used to joke about "another fried squirrel".
A couple of years ago there was a very early snowstorm while the leaves were still on the trees that knocked down a lot of power lines and caused a widespread power outage that lasted about a week. After that they put some effort into to trimming the trees back from the power lines and replaced all the broken lines and it hasn't happened since.

cordless phone base and bothDTV boxes - as well as both computers.
I'll add the 300 gallon fish tank, the Electronic organ, all TV's and all computers and all Sat units as well as the modem and two routers. I put shoe boxes on a number of items that can take it - some are protected and some are battery backed up.
Martin
On 12/27/2015 2:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's part of the beauty of a home-built Linux DVR. You don't need service or even the same service to watch your recordings. My Dish Network recordings play just fine even though we've had DirecTV for years. When I run out of storage, I can buy a bigger drive without asking the provider if it's ok.
Freedom like this comes with a cost, but it's worth it. I have to do a little reading to do things like add a new hard drive, and drop to the command line to copy recordings but it's been worth it. LinHES in case anyone's wondering which one I use.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 27 Dec 2015 01:06:01 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

How do you record from DTV to your DVR? Does a TV have to be "watching" to record? How many channels at once?

I've got a Hauppauge HD-DVR that records over the component connection (YPbPr). Channels are changed by a channel change script that goes over a serial to USB adapter to talk to the H24 and now Genie Mini. (It's better than an IR blaster, but that's a common option as well.)
Yes, the receiver has to be "watching" to record.
One channel per tuner/receiver pair.
In practice conflicts are minimal. It's something like 1 or 2 a month. Most TV shows are reruns anyway, so it's not a big deal.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 27 Dec 2015 14:43:37 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Sounds like a lot of manual setup and management.

My wife was disappointed that the UVerse receiver "only" records four things at once. We do have conflicts.

It does require a good bit of manual setup, but management pretty much takes care of itself. If you don't make system changes, it pretty much handles things itself. (Sometimes I have to press the red reset button on the directv box.) The system handles schedule management (and you can set priorities to make sure Norm records before Roy if they happen to conflict).

I guess it depends on what you watch... In a month, I'd estimate between 10 and 50 recordings are scheduled for later showings. I'm not sure how good Uverse's conflict handler is, but MythTV gets everything it possibly can.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Yes it does indeed work with Comcast and you do need a Voice AND Caller ID capable modem.
See "Neilyum" Comcast explanation here: http://forums.traysoft.com/viewtopic.php?t (09
Here is Phonetray's current list of recommended USB modems: http://www.phonetray.com/modem
From the above link: "Note: If you have Comcast XFINITY please purchase a Sewell USB modem (the first modem listed above)."

Having a POTS phone line, I can't comment on Comcast modem requirements but I'm using an older Zoom internal, PCI or PCIe (I've forgotten which) and it's worked flawlessly for 3 yrs.
As internal modems seem to be a dying breed, I'm considering buying one of these as a spare/backup before they're discontinued: http://support.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prodV38
In closing, since you've apparently installed Phonetray Free, look in the install folder for several .wav files that you can use to 'Zap' unwanted callers:
Program files (x86)\Traysoft\PhoneTray\Zap Messages
You can add to that list with any .wav file you wish. Here are some of my favs from 'Pat Fleet', the legendary voice of thousands of AT&T recorded messages since 1981.
http://www.thisisarecording.com/z/z/spam.wav http://www.thisisarecording.com/z/z/tt-allbusy.wav http://www.thisisarecording.com/z/z/touchtone3.wav
http://www.patfleet.com/
On 12/25/2015 8:37 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Thanks Walt, very helpful. Thinking more about it, I assume, since the voice modem plugs into the PC, the PC must be on for the phones to work at all? I don't turn my PC off often, but put it in sleep mode when not using it. Would this setup work with the PC in sleep mode? Also, I'm wondering now if there would be a noticeable delay when someone calls that I want to get the call? When I ran a BBS, the modem had to go through a significant procedure when answering a call, belching out beautiful digital talk to the calling modem. I guess that's what a "voice" modem doesn't do, now that I think about it, although that would be good for salesman and politicians...
--
Jack

Not sure I understand the question... but whether your PC is on or off should have absolutely no effect on the functionality of the phones in your house. Obviously, Phonetray would not intercept unwanted calls if the PC is turned off but there would be no adverse effect to your home's phone system. (At least there isn't on a POTS)

Good question. I can't answer because I've got all sleep/hibernate disabled. A quick Google found this:
http://blog.traysoft.com/2015/02/phonetray-pro-2-4/ Michael Rakita answers a laptop question: "If your laptop supports USB wake-up you can keep it in sleep mode and the modem will wake it up when a call comes in. Your laptop has to be fast enough to wake up in 2-3 seconds, otherwise it will miss caller id. If your laptop is not that fast it will be better to turn the sleep mode off."

No delay what so ever. None.

No, Phonetray doesn't make that sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

It will, after 1 complete ring, vocalize the Caller ID information through the PC speakers. That feature can easily be disabled, however I find it useful.