OT: just a suggestion

I thought the same thing as far as the sound quality. But suddenly everyone I was talking to over the landline was using a cell phone, so it became superfluous. My wife tells people (because she thinks its funny), " ... he doesn't carry it anywhere, not even around the house--he never even unplugs it!" Of course, that's not completely true...but it's mostly true. I even answer it less and less frequently (particularly, if I don't recognize the area code).

Reply to
Bill

Yeah, everything is cloud based, now. Pisses me off.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The lousy reception thing can be taken care of with a picocell. Basically, you have your own cell station that connects to "Ma" over the Internet. The "half-duplex" voice is certainly an issue with cell phones. 911 for home shouldn't be an issue though. They should be able to locate you, without any problems.

The cell phone issue that you didn't mention was disaster recovery. Cell phones aren't of much use if the tower loses power and their backup power isn't anything like the POTS COs of years gone by. OTOH, in many disasters, the cell system was the only communications that did survive.

If you want it all, I guess belt and suspenders is the way to go, though if you don't use things, they tend to not work when they're really needed.

Reply to
krw

Or a room full of women. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Silly me, I think if I'm paying for a service, the service should work without me having to buy extra stuff to make it work. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I can live without TV for a few days. What pissed me off about DirectTV was that it went out whenever it rained. Missing a show is much better than missing two half shows. "We can fix that now" was always the answer from DirectTV but "can" and "will" are two entirely different things. They were also a PITA when equipment died. Actually, they're still a PITA. They've called at least two dozen times, trying to get us back. Good riddance!

My cell phone works for an Internet connection, too. If it gets that bad and I need an Internet fix, I can always do lunch at Panera. ;-)

This was true with Comcast, at least a couple of years ago, too.

Reply to
krw

OK, you haven't given me that distinction.

...as long as... That's true of the silver photograph, too. As long as the tree looks like a tree, it still looks like a tree. IOW, you have *loads* of redundant information. That doesn't make it "digital" or "analog".

It's all odds. If you recreate information before it's lost, it's not lost. That's not the difference between "analog" and "digital", at least not one used by anyone I know.

Reply to
krw

Well, you're paying for a mobile phone. If you want it to work at home, you may have to pay extra. ;-)

At least with Verizon, it's a one-time charge. They don't charge for the Internet->POTS connection. I think AT&T does the same.

Reply to
krw

On Dec 26, 2015, krw wrote (in article):

Hmm. Please provide a better definition, with sources cited.

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

That is what I was thinking but here is the weird thing and maybe it is a buffering thing. The ATT box outside has a looooong magnetic tape in it that resembles an 8 track tape IIRC with out the cassette. Looked pretty fragile to me since I could actually see the tape. So I would not be shocked if the TV shores are stored on that tape. What ever the case the service in our relative new area is extremely unreliable. In

2013 the service was down 3 times before August. The last time it was down it lasted about 4~5 days.
Reply to
Leon

I'm sure location has a lot to do with the rain being a problem. I have had them all and DirecTV has been the most reliable. In the last two years we probably have not missed 2 hours of recording because of rain.

BUT we many years ago had cable and never very long because of it not working very long. Then I installed Dish Network and use that for a few years. And then I went to DirecTV Tivo before HD and it was bullet proof. Then upgraded to DirecTV HD DVR and the soft ware was a POS for

2 years as they worked out the bugs. Five years ago we built a new home in a new neighborhood and went with Uverse. That lasted until summer of 2013 and we went back to DirecTV. No problems so far.

BUT avoid at all cost talking to DirecTV. If you cant fix a problem it cant be fixed by them. ;~)

Well there is Chanel Master.

Reply to
Leon

I've had a clear shot to the birds in both of the last houses. Neither service (Dish in the last house, and D-TV in this) worked worth a damn in bad weather. How bad the weather had to be to blank out the service varied over time, too.

Oh, they can sure fix the monthly rate.

;-) I've thought about that, too. I'm told we can get a lot of stuff out of Atlanta, these days.

We're going to give NetFlix a shot, soon, too. When the teaser rates for the premium channels is over, we'll probably unplug them and go with some Internet video source. The kid gave us a gift certificate for NetFlix, so we'll give that a shot for a few months. I think they just use Hulu and NetFlix and don't have cable TV at all.

Reply to
krw

Digital is 1's and 0's. Analog is everything in between. You know, like the difference between an analog computer and a digital computer?

OK, let me ask you the question I posed a day or so ago: Were V.90 or V.92 modems (over POTS lines, of course) digital or analog? If you consider them to be analog, in what material way do they differ from DSL? If you consider them to be digital, name me one other person who believes this. ;-)

Oh, to answer your question, in this area the words "analog" and "digital" have become next to meaningless. Everything is analog (there are A/D and D/A converters at both ends, with the As in the middle, on the wire side - leaning the definition of the communication protocol considerably to the 'A' side, IMO).

Reply to
krw

On Dec 26, 2015, krw wrote (in article):

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Leon wrote in news:JrmdnZf4zo31S- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's part of the beauty of a home-built Linux DVR. You don't need service or even the same service to watch your recordings. My Dish Network recordings play just fine even though we've had DirecTV for years. When I run out of storage, I can buy a bigger drive without asking the provider if it's ok.

Freedom like this comes with a cost, but it's worth it. I have to do a little reading to do things like add a new hard drive, and drop to the command line to copy recordings but it's been worth it. LinHES in case anyone's wondering which one I use.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I've heard stories like that in the past, but my DTV misses maybe one show a year due to weather. Could be newer more reliable equipment, could be regional too. Overall, I've been hap with them.

Our old cable company went out at least once a month.. They've been bought out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

To be fair, in the previous house the power went out a couple of times a week. Not long but long enough to take Dish down for five minutes (and force us to go around the house resetting everything). It was like living in a third world country. The power company was owned by the city, so it's the same thing. Our power here is getting just as bad. It went out twice on Christmas Eve, though DTV would have been out all day anyway.

Reply to
krw

How do you record from DTV to your DVR? Does a TV have to be "watching" to record? How many channels at once?

Reply to
krw

I don't know what you did but you made your post unquotable, so I won't.

Reply to
krw

The difference between digital and analog is one is digital, the other is analog.

Analog signals are signals af varying frequency and intensity. You can get a good signal, a weak signal, or a bad signal

Digital signals are a pulse train of ones and zeroes. There is error checking built in - and you either get a signal or you don't. No such thing as "fringe reception" If you get the sinal the digital to analog converters decipher the code, and/or codecs in firmware decode the signal to audio and video signals,

Reply to
clare