OT: just a suggestion

Page 3 of 8

That "one person at a time" thing (technically called "half-duplex") is a network problem somewhere between you and whoever you're talking to. All cell phones are full-duplex and can receive and transmit simultaneously.
John
On 12/27/15 8:03 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Thanks for that info, John. It doesn't happen all the time and your explanation tells me why. However, it happens way too often to tolerate. I suppose one day the technology will improve and the issue will disappear. Until then, however, I'll stick to my "land line" for important calls when I'm at home.
--

-MIKE-

On 12/26/2015 8:22 AM, Jack wrote:

If Comcast is anything like Uverse works, an area outage will leave you with out TV, telephone for those that opt for that, and internet. The major reason that most of our new neighborhood switched to Comcast for internet and phone, and DirecTV for TV. It is not necessarily a good thing to have all your eggs in one basket. Discounts are great until you are with out all services for 4~5 days at a time, thank you Uverse. Thank goodness cell phones were not some how connected.
On 12/26/2015 11:37 AM, Leon wrote:

And one other thing with Uverse. If you have a DVR with recordings, it does not work if the service is down.
On 12/26/15 12:02 PM, Leon wrote:

Yeah, everything is cloud based, now. Pisses me off.
--

-MIKE-

On 12/26/2015 1:44 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

That is what I was thinking but here is the weird thing and maybe it is a buffering thing. The ATT box outside has a looooong magnetic tape in it that resembles an 8 track tape IIRC with out the cassette. Looked pretty fragile to me since I could actually see the tape. So I would not be shocked if the TV shores are stored on that tape. What ever the case the service in our relative new area is extremely unreliable. In 2013 the service was down 3 times before August. The last time it was down it lasted about 4~5 days.

I can live without TV for a few days. What pissed me off about DirectTV was that it went out whenever it rained. Missing a show is much better than missing two half shows. "We can fix that now" was always the answer from DirectTV but "can" and "will" are two entirely different things. They were also a PITA when equipment died. Actually, they're still a PITA. They've called at least two dozen times, trying to get us back. Good riddance!
My cell phone works for an Internet connection, too. If it gets that bad and I need an Internet fix, I can always do lunch at Panera. ;-)

This was true with Comcast, at least a couple of years ago, too.
On 12/26/2015 4:20 PM, krw wrote:

I'm sure location has a lot to do with the rain being a problem. I have had them all and DirecTV has been the most reliable. In the last two years we probably have not missed 2 hours of recording because of rain.
BUT we many years ago had cable and never very long because of it not working very long. Then I installed Dish Network and use that for a few years. And then I went to DirecTV Tivo before HD and it was bullet proof. Then upgraded to DirecTV HD DVR and the soft ware was a POS for 2 years as they worked out the bugs. Five years ago we built a new home in a new neighborhood and went with Uverse. That lasted until summer of 2013 and we went back to DirecTV. No problems so far.
BUT avoid at all cost talking to DirecTV. If you cant fix a problem it cant be fixed by them. ;~)

Well there is Chanel Master.

I've had a clear shot to the birds in both of the last houses. Neither service (Dish in the last house, and D-TV in this) worked worth a damn in bad weather. How bad the weather had to be to blank out the service varied over time, too.

;-) I've thought about that, too. I'm told we can get a lot of stuff out of Atlanta, these days.
We're going to give NetFlix a shot, soon, too. When the teaser rates for the premium channels is over, we'll probably unplug them and go with some Internet video source. The kid gave us a gift certificate for NetFlix, so we'll give that a shot for a few months. I think they just use Hulu and NetFlix and don't have cable TV at all.
On 12/26/2015 5:14 PM, krw wrote:

But if the satellite is higher in the sky, through the clouds is a thinner slice than if you were aimed lower and had to receive the signal through a long/wider low cloud.

I'm looking to do that one day, netflix is good, the mail service has a LOT of stuff including TV shows and pretty current movies. Streaming is pretty good to catch up on series that have been going on for years.

I said, there is nothing around.

Fortunately, the networks put their recent shows online, as well. We've been using them to catch up (and stay current) with the outages we've been having. The gym we go to has Netflix. Seems to have some pretty good movies, though they tend to play the same ones over and over (and over...).
On 12/26/2015 5:20 PM, krw wrote:

I've heard stories like that in the past, but my DTV misses maybe one show a year due to weather. Could be newer more reliable equipment, could be regional too. Overall, I've been hap with them.
Our old cable company went out at least once a month.. They've been bought out.

To be fair, in the previous house the power went out a couple of times a week. Not long but long enough to take Dish down for five minutes (and force us to go around the house resetting everything). It was like living in a third world country. The power company was owned by the city, so it's the same thing. Our power here is getting just as bad. It went out twice on Christmas Eve, though DTV would have been out all day anyway.
On 12/26/2015 10:01 PM, krw wrote:

I used to get occasional power blips, just long enough to trip out the receiver. Reboot takes forever. Finally put in on a UPS and problem solved.

I thought about that. ...every time we had a power blip. That would be a bunch of UPSs, though. I still might.
BTW, so far UVerse hasn't been perfect either. The WiFi signal no longer gets to the TVs in the back bedrooms and I'm not happy turning over control of my router to AT&T (it's theirs and I don't have the admin password).
On 12/26/2015 10:36 PM, krw wrote:

I still have Uverse internet, they let me get into the router/gateway through my computer. IIRC the password is on the unit.
AND you can change the antenna with a software setting.

I've got 4 in use. One on my wife's computer, one on mine, one on the network /phone devices, and one on each DTV box.
Then I've got another 2 spares sitting in a cabinet.

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 16:01:25 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Our computers are laptops, so no UPS needed. I rarely use even my laptop, anymore. I have a tablet that I do all things Internet on. It's a lot easier to carry around than even a laptop (remember Compaq luggables?!).

The company I worked for for a period of 5 years before going off on my own built and sold thousands of "clones" of the Compaq "lunchbox computer" (Portable 111) Apparently Stirling still makes them??? We called them "luggables" too. A lot smaller and lighter than the Compaq "sewing machine" (Only about 20 lbs)
Remember the Osborne? 5 inch CRT screen. Then tha Kaypro 2 with the huge 9 inch screen? The Kaypro "only" weighed a bit less than 30 lbs. I think the Osborn was a bit heavier.
On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 17:46:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sure I remember them, though had only IBMs for years. My first was a "first day order" 5150 PC, with a single-sided floppy, 48K DRAM, and a monochrome monitor (though both video adapters). I didn't own a clone until '93 or '94.