OT: just a suggestion

Page 1 of 8
We're receiving several calls a week from "card holder services" as I'm sure all of you are who still have landlines. Instead of just hanging up I've been pressing 1 for more info and setting the phone down. I hang it up when the phone beeps at me. Since there's often a several minute wait to get to a scammer ("You're number 27 in line - please wait") I figure I've at least tied up their line for that long.
Occasionally I actually wait for an answer and keep the scammer going for a while before I tell him/her what I'm doing. I've gotten some very creative cussing that way :-).
I wonder. If all of us afflicted by this scam did the same, would we make their scam unprofitable? Or at least less profitable? Seems they'd have to rent more phone lines to keep up their volume.
--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

On 12/15/2015 12:39 PM, Trenbidia wrote:

cost is pretty darn low compared to most other methods.
If it makes you feel better playing games with these people have fun.
If I answer the phone and there is silence I hang up and don't waste any more of my time. If you call me you better say something when I say hello.
On 12/15/2015 11:39 AM, Trenbidia wrote:

when they're done talking to themselves they can hang up. Occasionally I'll ask if they will give me their home phone number so I can call and bother them when it's convenient to me. If a caller has a heavy accent I'll say "I'm sorry, I can't understand you" and ask him to repeat himself until he gives up.
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 18:39:32 +0000 (UTC), Trenbidia

I led a guy on once a long time ago for an hour and 15 minutes selling aluminum siding. Then I told him my mobile home lot number and address. He was one pissed off mofo.
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 18:05:40 -0600, Steve Barker wrote:

I have fun with the guys who call and want to fix my computer. I can go a long time describing my screen before they catch on that I don't run windows - nobody can cuss better than a Spanish speaker :-).
--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 00:20:28 +0000 (UTC), Trenbidia

I had one on the line for 45 minutes. I was not even at the computer but strung him along. He had me reboot the computer and did not flinch when I told him the screen now said Windows 95. He did not flinch when I suggested we pray for the computer and chant. Finally hung up when I told him to wait while I lit the incense to burn.
I'd have thought these guys would make there own Do Not Call List. Actually, it would be Do Not Call This Asshole list.
The home security guy gave up after a half hour. I told him I wanted just the equipment, not the contract for service and I was going to hook it up to call Jared next door. He would come over if I had a problem. I even cried when I told him I really, really, wanted it.
On 15/12/2015 7:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Mother know what you do for a living?" Graham

says...

I like the ones who call me at work--there seem to be two kinds, the "Police Association" looking for a handout and the ones selling an extended car warranty.
"This is about your warranty" "Excuse me but who exactly are you trying to reach". "MAY I SPEAK TO THE VEHICLE OWNER". "Of course, but you're going ot have to help me out--there are more than 4000 private vehicles, a dozen security vehicles, an assortment of construction machines, and two aircraft at this location--to which vehicle owner do you want to speak". Usually the response at this point is "click", but occasionally I get "I NEED TO TALK TO THE PERSON IN CHARGE". "That would be the CEO, I can transfer you to his secretary". At that point they generally go away while I'm looking up the number.
"I'm calling on behalf of the AFPO . . ." "You have reached the headquarters of one of the 100 largest businesses in the world--all of our charitable donations are made through our foundation. Would you like me to transfer you?" Again they generally either give up at that point or go away while I"m looking up the number.
I would think that they would recognize at some point that they were getting a corporate office.
On 12/15/2015 1:39 PM, Trenbidia wrote:

Card services evidently is trying a new bizarre way to scam us.
The wife said she got a call yesterday from them on our land line and the caller ID showed *our home phone number* --- WTF?
Its over my head as I don't see the logic in that. Other than to get you to pick up whats the point?
John

Perhaps that's the point. Once they start talking, it's harder to hang up.
People look up caller ID too. You can do a Google search for a phone number and confirm whether the number is scammy or not. Sometimes they call from a number within the area codes I'm likely to answer.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 16 Dec 2015 20:36:18 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Spoofing caller id is rather easy, the info is of course available upon the net.

Not new. And getting you to pick up is exactly the point - many people will ignore a number they don't know, but almost everyone will respond to their own number.
The root cause of the problem is a technical flaw in the phone system that let's scammers appear to be calling from any number they like. It would not be especially hard to correct that flaw, but the phone companies have no incentive to do so (no money in it).
John

sometimes I take to trying a *69 callback unavailable #s are not called

Better still... go to nomorobo.com and sign up for their robocall blocking service. We did that more than a year ago, and haven't received ANY calls from "cardholder services" since.
Not. One.
On 12/16/2015 4:22 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

But then what would every one in this thread have to talk about if they did that. ;~)
On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 22:22:19 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Hey Doug, didn't you see the "landline" in my post? Nomorobo says:
"Unfortunately, Nomorobo is not available on traditional analog landlines or wireless phones at this time."
--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I'm using it on my landline.

Works just fine on digital landlines.
email.me:

*Digital* landlines, i.e. DSL service such as AT&T U-verse -- which is what I have.
On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 13:47:39 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Uverse is fiber, not DSL (or "phone" lines at all). DSL uses normal "phone" wires, where Uverse does not. DSL is as much "analog" as any other modem technology.
On 12/24/2015 8:10 AM, krw wrote:

IIRC and I could be wrong, while DSL does come over the normal phone wires, DSL is digital Subscriber Line IIRC. And not all Uverse comes over total fiber optics especially in older established communities.
IIRC Swingman had/has Uverse many years ago with problems from squirrels eating through twisted pairs of wires up on the poles.