OT - How Unique!

Page 3 of 3
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:46:26 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

I still have both of mine (dad's old strobe timing light and vacuum meter), and they have about 1/4" of dust on them now, under my toolbox in a metal case, my dwellmeter in the bottom of the box.
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 22:12:23 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote

Vacuum gauges are still very handy for engine testing....

But as there's no way for a home mechanic to REPAIR an engine, why bother?
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:22:12 -0700, Dave Balderstone wrote

Depends on what you have/know 8^)
A modern engine can still have valves/ springs/ rings/hoses go bad.
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:22:12 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Perhaps to keep your mechanic honest?
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

True, about every 12,000 miles but it typically took less time to change the plugs, points, condenser, and rotor than it did to change the oil. That said, my 97 Chevy pu had close to 80K when I traded it in and it had the original plugs.
"Leon" wrote:

Which these days are rated for 100,000 miles.
Lew

They were in 97 also... Platinum plugs. Oddly Toyota recomends at 30K IIRC.

They'd go on my cars on *the* nastiest day of the year (33F and rain). No thanks. I think my Ranger still has its original plugs (9 years/90Kmi). I know it has its original wires.
OTOH, I had a '93 Eagle Vision that would throw a set of wires every year. The book said it was a 3-hour job but I got it down to an hour clock time by making my own tools to route the wires under the intake manifold and fuel rail. A set of wires was $100 from Chrysler and the after-market wires did not fit. It turns out that the label on the engine had the wrong spark gap listed. It was only off by a factor of two. :-(

33F and rain is the nastiest day of the year!!!
Holy crap. What is your address in heaven?
RonB

Yabbut they have not built them that way for a few decades now.