OT: Help please. "Intellisync Corp" popup

Page 3 of 4

Or, somebody e-mailed a file with the same base name as something you already have.
Or, more than one person uses the machine, and wasn't aware of the other file.

Maybe the 'honey do' list, the spreadsheet of the purchases needed for each project, and the directory of pictures of the results.

Yup. *UNTIL* somebody imports it into Word to to make a large-print hard- copy, and saves "house fixups-text.doc"
Windows will also out-and-out *lie* to you about the case of the letters in file names under some circumstances.
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

Or, somebody e-mailed a file with the same base name as something you already have.
Or, more than one person uses the machine, and wasn't aware of the other file.

Maybe the 'honey do' list, the spreadsheet of the purchases needed for each project, and the directory of pictures of the results.

Yup. *UNTIL* somebody imports it into Word to to make a large-print hard- copy, and saves "house fixups-text.doc"
Windows will also out-and-out *lie* to you about the case of the letters in file names under some circumstances.
============= The first few points may be moot as operating systems would tell you if a file has a dup name before saving. Extension shown on the file, or not won't matter. It will replace it or warn you.
As for the rest of the rattle, I always have extensions showing because I need to know what type of file it is. I couldn't klive like that but I am OCD when it comes to organizational things like that.
Wife worked in a big insurance industry and they did everything in Word. Databases, spreadsheets, photo albums etc... I couldn't even listen to the tech talk. It drove me insane to hear people working like that. It's an old carry over from WOrst-Perfect where the word processor becomes the operating system.
The fine print... () uncheck here to not download and permanently install our quick acchole, in-your-face toolbar, that only takes up 10%** of your screen realestate!
**based on having screen space left for the user
--
Eric

Read *carefully*. I said 'base name'. Yes, if the _entire_ name is identical, you'll get the over-write warning. But _not_ if they have different extensions, with the extension hidden. Say you have a worksheet with the schedule for the wedding ("wedding.xls") and somebody emails you their batch of pictures from the wedding ("wedding.zip") No over- write warning, just to files with the same name.

Me, I have 'CDO' -- it's like OCD, but 'with the letters in the RIGHT order!' <grin>
I know what I'm doing, I always have extensions showing -- the MS 'associations' are useless -- I have several programs that use the _same_ extension for their own file types. <sigh>
I also make all system/hidden files visible, because I want to -see- what all is there.
On 8/19/2011 2:15 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

First thing I do when someone asks me to 'help out' with their computer.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

Read *carefully*. I said 'base name'. Yes, if the _entire_ name is identical, you'll get the over-write warning. But _not_ if they have different extensions, with the extension hidden. Say you have a worksheet with the schedule for the wedding ("wedding.xls") and somebody emails you their batch of pictures from the wedding ("wedding.zip") No over- write warning, just to files with the same name.

Me, I have 'CDO' -- it's like OCD, but 'with the letters in the RIGHT order!' <grin>
I know what I'm doing, I always have extensions showing -- the MS 'associations' are useless -- I have several programs that use the _same_ extension for their own file types. <sigh>
I also make all system/hidden files visible, because I want to -see- what all is there.
Are you, also, a member of DAM (Mothers Against Dyslexia)?
-------------
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
Me, I have 'CDO' -- it's like OCD, but 'with the letters in the RIGHT order!' <grin>
Josepi wrote:

Nope. I do, however support DAMN -- that's "Nude Mothers Against Dyslexia" They get lots of things backwards.
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 19:55:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

On 8/18/2011 9:16 AM, Eric wrote:

It is not uncommon for a program, actually many programs, to periodically automatically back up an open file that you are working on. It uses the same file name with a different extension. Whether you do or do not name your files very well is a moot point.

============= Apparently the o/s and applications do a better job to name the files than we do by using three characters at the end. Then we cry we can't see the characters we didn't assign the filenames. LOL
--
Eric

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 05:55:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

The "type" is normally shown, which is what Windows will do with it if it's (double) clicked.

I think it's the mindset difference. We want to know every detail about our computers. They don't even want to know how they work, what the file name is, or what type of file it is. They just want to press one button and have the computer spit out the item they need.
Y'know, kinda like Engineer Scott talking to the 20th century computer, not getting any answer, and then speaking into the mouse. (Catherine Hicks was at her hottest in "The Voyage Home", eh?)
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

You also could try Norton Power Eraser, it got rid of a persistant bit of malware that I had trouble with in the past. It was a free download on Norton's site.
I don't touch anything Norton anymore.
Try removing the trialware from your system. I had to format my HDD to get rid of it a few years back. Worst virus I have ever had and harder to get rid of and it slowed my system quite noticeably. Maybe they have smartened up after the bad press they got for that one.
------
"Markem" wrote in message
You also could try Norton Power Eraser, it got rid of a persistant bit of malware that I had trouble with in the past. It was a free download on Norton's site.
On 8/13/2011 1:17 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Malwarebytes and Avast are both pretty good freebees. (and don't take any 12 hours if you are at all up to date)
But Viper does better and is not at all expensive. It found the Chinese trogan on my system when all else failed.
Ya got serious problems there mate. You need serious tools.
http://www.vipreantivirus.com /

Click on "Tools" and then "Manage Add-Ons". See if there is anything loaded from Intellisync for mobile phone synchronization.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On 8/13/2011 12:29 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:

Switch to Chrome
zzyzx_ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Did you at any time have Yahoo Autosync installed--it's Intellisync based and would have installed the DLL. If so, see if you can uninstall autosync.
If that fails try Microsoft Security Essentials. It isn't very thorugh but it's free.
If that doesn't find anything, try Malwarebytes <http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and Prevx <http://www.prevx.com/ . If they don't work it's time to try to find somebody at Nokia who knows what's going on (Nokia bought out Intellisync a while back).
Just as a history note, Intellisync in its original form existed to synchronize Microsoft Outlook contact information and appointments and whatnot with the original Palm Pilot and its descendants. Was actually a pretty good product. The developers branched out to support other devices, and the Palm market kind of went away, hence the eventual takeover by Nokia.

Thanks for the responses. I found the problem, thanks to J. Clarke.
Over a month ago, I installed a program that linked my Quicken bill-pay reminders to Outlook. I never got around to configuring it. And why it only started causing the pop-up issue 2-3 days ago is a mystery to me.
Anyway, I unistalled the program and all is well.
Thanks again.
-Zz
zzyzx_ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out, and glad to be of service.