OT Health Care

Page 3 of 4

Having spent a lifetime working for an insurance company, let me add this: :o)
No "Insurance Company" is in business to lose money. They all cry broke and take for ever to pay claims. They only pay claims they cannot weasel out. They can find a "pre-existing" condition for almost any ailment. If they pay, they find some way to reduce the payment.

Having spent a lifetime working for an insurance company, let me add this: :o)
No "Insurance Company" is in business to lose money. They all cry broke and take for ever to pay claims. They only pay claims they cannot weasel out. They can find a "pre-existing" condition for almost any ailment. If they pay, they find some way to reduce the payment.
Having been in the automotive insudtry for many years I absolutely forbid any of my employees and or customers to allow an insurance company to enter into the repair procedure. Our customers always wanted insurance to pay for the repair and I always said that is fine. Let them pay you back for what I am going to charge you for the repair but if you want us to repair your car you will be totally responsible for paying the bill before we release your car back to you.

every sentence is more or less true. I'll add that for life threatening issues you get bumped forward but not in front of someone who is dieing faster than you. Unless you seem to be important like a weasel politician and his family or a sports player: then you go to front of the line and spare no expense. I have noticed that people with money go to the US, Mexico, or Europe because for cash up front, no one has to wait. And there are some procedues that have long lists because of resource allocations. And there are some things not covered because of extreme high costs. Getting bitten by a mountain (north slope) jumping spider from Peru comes to mind ): My doctor came up with that one.
Dental, eye glasses, hearing aids, and most drugs are not covered unless your in prison or on welfare where most all of it is covered. Lets face it - if you get sent to prison for life (8 yrs) we want you healthy enuff to do the time.
I once asked a dermatologist why it took so long and cost so much. He said the admin costs ran at about 85% and that doctors got the remaining 15%. I assume the 85 included hospital costs and that he wasn't slinging me a line.
If I sound a tad cynical over this it is because the system has inequities. We hire nurses part time and burn them out working double shifts. Somehow paying parttime overtime is cheaper that paying benefits. We don't allow private services to open shop because that would jeapardize publice health care and all the doctors would flock over to the dark side. When a small community raises money for an MRI machine we don't let it get hooked up because it wasn't budgeted for, it's in the wrong community, and we want things centralized. The list goes on.
Yes, there is a whole lot more to this and it gets complicated and it's not nessessarily about how much money, but more like who gets to touch the money first and dole it out.
Canadians want pay what the market will bear (if you can). Americans want pay what's fair (if you can get it). Seems we both want what the other has.
snipped-for-privacy@mts.net wrote:

worse. The White House says restore all benefits and pay and rehire all fired union workers or lose the Stimulate Package. Have a funny feeling that only union workers will benefit by this Health Care Crap.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Upscale wrote:

On 5/13/2009 3:40 PM Cooniedog spake thus:

True what you said except for the doctors part: many doctors, probably a plurality, are actually strongly in favor of a single-payer system or something close to it. (Their organizations, like the AMA, of course are probably trailing this opinion by quite a bit.)

I will admit that the system of medical care in the UK is far from perfect(especially since the Thatcher administration's interference), but it seems to be many, many times better than the US model for those who cannot afford private health care.
On Wed, 13 May 2009 12:44:43 -0700, mr fuxit wrote:

Every time this subject comes up, Britain and Canada are used as examples. I watched a show some time back on the subject and they covered Germany and Japan as well. Seemed like single payer was working quite a bit better there.

On Thu, 14 May 2009 11:41:28 -0500, Larry Blanchard

I think they both went to their systems later than Britain and Canada, so they are benefitting from seeing what didn't work there. It might also be worth considering that culturally they are farther removed from us than are Britain and Canada - although I'm not sure how relevant that really is.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

I agree with that assessment. And, it might possibly be that if those newer systems have any faults in them, they haven't been in operation long enough to show. The British and Canadian systems have been in operation for a long time. While they've remained pretty static in their operation, their populations have changed over time and the existing systems haven't exactly kept pace.

It is hard to stay out of this discussion. Opinions and facts get all mixed up when people outside of Canada offer their opinions of OUR system. :-) (Unlike MY opinion on their politics..LOL.. at least I do my homework.)
Angela is deeply entrenched in the healthcare system as her profession. Her involvement deals with all facets, from emergency admissions (heart & stroke) to MRI bookings and rehab. It could be that our city is small ( about 70,000) but she has access to that MRI 24/7. Seldom a wait more than minutes.... usually waiting for stand-by staff to get there. At least in Heart & Stroke, there ain't no time to wait. Ever. Healthcare at its best.
You want a replacement knee? Not so much. You want to see an orthopaedic surgeon because your thumb feels icky? You wait a loooong time.
You remove half your face on the asphalt after a motorcycle accident? You're on the table in minutes. I think they have their priorities figured out pretty well.
If I had it MY way, the 2-pack-a-day lung-cancer patient would be at the end of the line; if he/she doesn't give a shit about their health, why should anybody else?
Cooniedog wrote:

One problem that I see is that everyone wants the latest and greatest treatment, which generally translates to much more expensive. If a treatment is 5% better, but 10x the price, should we as a population go for it? It's easy to say no, until the patient is someone you know.
Health care is locally governed, so there are going to be regional differences. For reference, I'm in my 30s, and live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, a city of a bit over 200000 people.
Wait times have been an issue in the past and continue to be an issue for certain types of treatment--generally expensive/complicated things like MRI, cancer, heart, hip/knee replacement, cataract surgery, etc. My father-in-law had hip surgery and did need to wait a bit. I've heard anecdotally that these times are coming down around here though.
Usually it takes a few days to a week if I want to book an appointment with my family doctor, but for more urgent things I can go to a clinic or to the Emergency ward at the hospital.
I broke two fingers while traveling, and received both physiotherapy and occupational therapy to help get mobility and strength back in those fingers. No delays in getting treatment. Similarly, getting in to see a chiropractor is easy.
My wife and I just had our first child. No significant delays, generally good care. We did pay for a doula to help us through the process, but midwives are covered in some areas and that might be an option for next time.
Chris

What's the physician availability like there Chris? Is there a doctor shortage. Ok, stupid question, I'm hearing more and more about shortages everywhere. Let me rephrase. Do people seeking a personal physican have to wait very long before they find one, as far as you know?

I've got a friend who is considering hiring a midwife. Was it expensive and did you find his/her services worthwhile?

Depending upon the answer, they do have a Lee Valley in Saskatoon, so you could move there.
Just to put it back on topic. ;-)
--
Froz....

I actually considered moving to Saskatchewan at one point. All that flat land and me hating hills so much. Now I'm glad I didn't. The land would be flat, but I'd have been washed away in the floods. :)
Upscale wrote:

I think you've got us confused with Manitoba. :) Not much flooding in Saskatchewan this spring.
Chris

That's possible and it might be my lack of province knowledge showing. :) All I remember seeing on the news were rivers flooding to historical highs and they were out west somewhere.

That would be the red river heading from Nodak to winnipeg. Winnipeg is in Manitoba. I'm not sure how bad the flooding was in Canada compared with Nodak.
scott
Upscale wrote:

Around here, it's no problem. Some of the smaller towns are having a real difficulty, and up north it's a big deal. I think some of the larger cities are having problems with this as many MDs are specializing because they can make more money with less work. I understand that some family docs have a sideline of cosmetic surgery work to bring in some extra cash--there has been discussion about the possibility of conflict of interest when the same doctor is practicing both privately and publicly.

I may be biased, my mom is a midwife. :)
To clarify, doulas and midwives are two different things. A doula is like a birth coach, she (usually it's a woman) is there primarily to help the individual mother. (As opposed to the hospital staff, who are handling multiple mothers and are worried primarily about physical rather than mental wellbeing.) Doulas are in addition to the regular obstetrician.
A midwife generally replaces an obstetrician. They generally handle low-risk births. They are generally willing to do home births if there are no complications, they have hospital admitting privileges, can prescribe medications, and they generally spend more time on each individual patient than an obstetrician does. The wikipedia article on midwifery is fairly good.
As for expense, it's going to vary by area. I have no idea what the going rate for a midwife is.
Chris

Doctors aren't assigned in Canada, unless you're referring to the doctor on duty in an emergency room. A person is always free to request or seek another physician. And as to formal complaints of incompetence, I believe they're all looked into, however the College of Physicians has the unfortunate reputation of being pretty lenient on many of their members. But, sometimes they do take actions as confirmed by the resulting case of Dr. Charles Smith, former chief forensic pathologist for the Province of Ontario. Many, many lawsuits pending because of this guy's incompetence.
Of course, another doctor might not be available in the middle of the night in an emergency room. In that case assuming the emergency isn't dire, one can walk across the street to another hospital, which is something I've done after four hours of waiting. Triage is a bitch sometimes. Going to another hospital is easier to do in a place like Toronto, but relatively difficult when you live up north where another doctor or hospital might be many hours away.
And family doctors are getting increasingly hard to find in Canada. The USA keeps thieving our doctors by offering better pay and few working hours. Guess I can't blame them for that, but I think doctors graduated in Canada should be required to commit a specified period of service in Canada before they move lock stock and barrel to sell their Canadian acquired skills elsewhere.