OT Health Care

I know of several Canadians that are snow birds that travel from Canada to the LA area for the winter. They also scheduled any operations, medical procedure for the time they are in LA. The Canadian health care system pays for it and they get it done in a timely manner. I should think this speaks for itself.

Reply to
Norvin

You've hit the nail on the head. Anyone that thinks everyone is going to get medical care for less than what it costs to provide it hasn't thought it through. I do think Insurance has a place to cover catastrophic issues.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

news: snipped-for-privacy@z7g2000vbh.googlegroups.com...

Having spent a lifetime working for an insurance company, let me add = this: :o)

No "Insurance Company" is in business to lose money.=20 They all cry broke and take for ever to pay claims. They only pay claims they cannot weasel out. They can find a "pre-existing" condition for almost any ailment. If they pay, they find some way to reduce the payment.

Reply to
PDQ

I have heard of no-one doing that as Canadian healthcare will not pay for it unless it is an emergency. I would conceder that an outright lie lol. Keep throwing stuff out there some of it might stick. If it was true woot woot still better than being denied medical treatment cause your CEO wants a bigger boat.

Reply to
Rusty

I think you've got us confused with Manitoba. :) Not much flooding in Saskatchewan this spring.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

British health care is a bit of a joke in Britain.

I twisted my knee skiing and was having problems walking back in March.

My Doctor, part of our National Health Service, has made an appointment for me to be 'assessed' for physio-therapy. Still waiting to find out when they will decide if I need physio or not!!

My physio-therapist, charging £36 a visit and having seen me now 6 times, thinks I need two more visits for treatment as long as I keep up with the exercise regime he has laid down.

Having paid into the National Health Service all my working life (over 40 years) my first point of call when I need any treatment is the private sector, be it chiropractor, physio, dentist, or even Traditional Chinese Medicine. So I pay twice for all my medical needs.

Latest scam by our illustrious government is to get people to call into their local chemist shop (I believe you call them pharmacies) where trained staff can deal with them, thus keeping them away from a very overstretched Health Service.

If you are over here don't get ill, or if you do go to Europe for a couple of days and get some really efficient service.

Reply to
Alan Squires

Well, now you have heard, so it must be true!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Norvin

Cite please.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Having spent a lifetime working for an insurance company, let me add this: :o)

No "Insurance Company" is in business to lose money. They all cry broke and take for ever to pay claims. They only pay claims they cannot weasel out. They can find a "pre-existing" condition for almost any ailment. If they pay, they find some way to reduce the payment.

Having been in the automotive insudtry for many years I absolutely forbid any of my employees and or customers to allow an insurance company to enter into the repair procedure. Our customers always wanted insurance to pay for the repair and I always said that is fine. Let them pay you back for what I am going to charge you for the repair but if you want us to repair your car you will be totally responsible for paying the bill before we release your car back to you.

Reply to
Leon

We live close enough to Canada that we vacation there quite often. We usually stay in B&Bs and health care is one of the subjects that always comes up. Most Canadians I've spoken to seem to like their system although they do admit that sometimes there are long waits for elective items and occasionally for critical ones.

But I think we have to balance that against two other things. There are a lot of uninsured people in the US who don't get routine care at all or who get charity care which is often given at a lower standard just because of lack of funding. And of course, nobody in Canada ever went bankrupt from medical bills.

So I suspect the percentage of unserved/underserved patients may be close to the same in the US and Canada.

And as another poster pointed out, a doctor can make a better living in the US - so can a drug company :-). But I've known too many doctors who treat medicine as a calling to care much about the ones for whom it is only a business.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I was there too, and was thinking much the same thing. But the doctor and his little black bag often treated people for free if they had no money. One doctor I knew often got paid in chickens, corn (sometimes distilled), etc..

You don't consider life, as in "life, liberty, and the pursuit..." to include health? I guess we disagree there.

Now there we agree. Because qualifying to vote was misused against minorities, we threw out the baby with the bathwater. In Washington we now vote entirely by mail and if you're breathing you qualify to vote. Of course in some states even breathing isn't a prerequisite :-).

The dumber the voter is, the easier he/she can be manipulated. The politicians love the uninformed voter.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Every time this subject comes up, Britain and Canada are used as examples. I watched a show some time back on the subject and they covered Germany and Japan as well. Seemed like single payer was working quite a bit better there.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I think they both went to their systems later than Britain and Canada, so they are benefitting from seeing what didn't work there. It might also be worth considering that culturally they are farther removed from us than are Britain and Canada - although I'm not sure how relevant that really is.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

My bad. They got it down to Sixty Two Days. Of course, with some cancers you're dead in 62 days.

LD

On 5/14/2009 1:31 PM LD spake thus:

thought, and this refers to Scotland.

In any case, it isn't a "62-day waiting period": the article says "The target, set in 2000, requires that 95% of patients begin treatment within 62 days of being urgently referred." This means, I'm assuming, that there is a *maximum* allowable time of 62 days until the patient is treated. Presumably, those with more urgent cancers may be treated sooner.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

That's why we need "special interests" and "lobbyists" and "Washington insiders." They act as a counterfoil to the masses.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 5/14/2009 2:08 PM HeyBub spake thus:

No, that's why we need better education, so that Usenet posters recognize (and avoid) that logical fallacy known as the "red herring".

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

*UK* What part of *UK* is Scotland?

And, lest you trot into malformed uninformed notions ...

  1. My sister lives in England.
  2. I have 2 cousins living in England.
  3. I have 2 cousins living in Scotland.
  4. I have nieces and nephews living in England.
  5. I have second cousins all over the UK.
  6. I communicate with these people.
  7. Their biggest gripe is the NHS.
  8. My sister and her family lived in the US for five years.
  9. I was Born in the UK.
  10. I spent six months in a National Health Hospital.
Reply to
LD

If you've got a type of cancer that's going to kill you in less than 62 days most likely any treatment you'd received during that time wouldn't help.

Reply to
Nova

That would be the red river heading from Nodak to winnipeg. Winnipeg is in Manitoba. I'm not sure how bad the flooding was in Canada compared with Nodak.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal