OT. Free Shipping Lee Valley

Page 2 of 4

It would be different if no one gave this sort of service. The fact is that they do (that seem to make loads of money doing it at very competitive prices). LV gets good money for "service" that others already give, standard. If this thread is evidence, I don't see where paying for service is working.

Well now days with most every thing charged on the credit card it is easy to charge the customer again if they don't rreturn the defective part. That is how most deal with insuring a legitimate claim.
"Leon" wrote in message

So the customer disputes the charge and his credit card company will side with him unless the merchant can convince them the customer pulled a fast one. Not only does the customer get his money back, the merchant pays a service fee for the disputed charge if they can't show they're in the right.

You cannot charge the customer's CC "after the fact" just because you happen to have his number. You can, however, take the CC info with the stipulation that it will be charged if the return merchandise is not received in X days. I've done that a few times for expedited service.

the defective unit is returned a charge will be made against his credit card. Customer agrees or does not get the replacement. If it is legit, there is no reason for the customer to disagree. Pretty common practice.

That is not an absolute, the merchant has equal chance of winning the dispute. Been there, done that, both winning and loosing a dispute.
"Leon" wrote in message

In my experience the merchant needs backup (like UPS tracking) while the customer usually gets by on his say-so. I've had bank employees tell me they believe my story, they just can't accept it without evidence.

It is not unusual for a company to have a good solid reason for contesting a charge protest or claim. Never ever have I had a situation where my word over the telephone was enough. I have always had to additionally fill out a claim form with all details and wait for an investigation for a "permanent" credit. Typically I get an immediate and conditional reversal of charges however that is not an absolute guarantee of a permanent reversal.

Hmmm. It's been the opposite with me. The two times I've contested a charge on my Mastercard by filling out a claim form, I've waited up to a month for the charge back to be credited to my account. At the time, Mastercard has emailed me to say that the resolution is complete.

agreement that if they don't receive the defective part within a certain period they'll charge the CC. Sometimes they'll take the CC number up-front (if they don't already have it).

Yes, that is the practice I have seen for quite a few years, IIRC as far back as 1988 in my case.
wrote in message

I've also had companies do rush shipping of replacements with a full charge which is refunded to my card when they get the return, I don't mind that.

Honestly, that's sounds a little screwy, especially for Lee Valley. A Starrett carbide scriber I bought almost a year ago from them, broke about 1/8" of the tip off. Contacting LV, they immediately sent me a replacement with instructions to send the defective one back in the same box with included postage paid return label attached.
I'd suspect that the delay might well be attributed to our vaunted postal delivery system. Compared to what you guys have in the US with really fast delivery times, our Canadian system is mired some place back many decades. Yes, the order was regular delivery schedule, but the cost for overnight or rush type delivery is exorbitant under the Canadian postal service. One thing people can do with shipped orders from Lee Valley is get the tracking number from their online account info page and then track it through the post office.
wrote in message

I think our postal system is faster because it has less to deliver and the same amount of people. Cheaper for over night because they are trained to loose money. On line tracking? LOL. That gets updated for the first time about 1 day after you receive the package.
On 03/21/2011 06:24 AM, Leon wrote:

I thought Lee Valley used FedEx and not the postal service of either of our illustrious gubmints?
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Half of the FedEx stuff is delivered by the USPS, here.
On 3/21/2011 1:35 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

I have had no problems with any of there shipments. 2-3 days from NY to Wis.

UPS eh? We have UPS too. United Polar Express. Our polar bears are the fasted delivering bears around except when they stop to dine on a seal that gets too close. The only downside is when the bears get to a customer's front door to deliver their packages. For some reason, people won't open their doors to sign for their deliveries. Well, that's not quite correct. One person did open their door and then he disappeared. Authorities searched far and wide with no resolution to the sudden disappearance. Only noticeable thing that was different at the time was that the delivering polars bears had a lot of gas and were burping frequently.
:)

It may depend on package size and/or value. In the end, whoever the carrier is, they're initially operating in Canada and that means it's going somewhere at a fraction of the speed that's enjoyed in the US.

The sholder plane I ordered Sunday was shipped Monday UPS ground and arrived today. Yes, it was pressed into IMMEDIATE service.
Not too bad for free shipping, huh?