OT - Extreme Makeover Home Edition?

Page 3 of 3

"MJ" wrote in message

And that typically dodges the real issue .. it is "property" taxes which are the real burden.
Almost all property taxes are based on "appraised value", so any improvements, no matter what scam is used to make them, will result in an increase in the property's value, which results in higher taxes.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Many of the families are given sums of money or have the mortgage go away or both. The kids usually get college scholarships.
I would bet in most cases the increased property taxes are not going to be any more than the old property taxes and mortgage payments.
Someone whose life is changed by a new house, maybe a new car, and a wad of cash should be able to figure out how to pay the taxes once the money runs out. For the familes that get $100k, they could put it in a bank CD and make enough interest to cover a $4,000 tax bill.
Brian Elfert
"Brian Elfert" wrote in message

You would lose.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

I'd be interested to hear the backup for that statement.
todd

One of the families is/was appealing a $4,000 property tax bill.
How many families really have a combined mortgage/property tax bill of less than $400 a month?
Brian Elfert
"Brian Elfert" wrote in message

I give up, how many?
You're running rabbit trails ... read my statement in the context in which it was written as a reply - as answer to the bullshit about "federal and state" taxes being taken care of - not as you're trying to twist/spin it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

In some cases, yes.
Multi-million dollar lottery winners often end up broke too.
Yeah they do, but generally only through stupidity or greed.
wrote in message

This snip is from a story that was in our local newspaper - Press Democrat - Santa Rosa and it points out that the "design team" really isn't designing on the fly:
--
Though ABC's show garnered an Emmy nomination for outstanding reality
program, most local volunteers Sunday laughed at the episode's

While I generally don't appreciate their work, it is definitely possible. I saw a video of an effort I believe in San Diego where they were trying to set a world record for building a house in record time. It took over 18 months to plan and 750+ workers but they literally built this house in under 3 hours (I forget the time but it was under 3 anyway). They made use of fast curing materials and worked in expert precision....obviously, 18 months gives a lot of practice. It really was pretty incredible to watch even if, at the end of the day, I wouldn't have lived there! They had inspectors there checking everything as they went and at the end, they issued the occupancy certificate. Judging by the hair cuts, it appeared they did this in the 70's sometime. Anyway, I personally think the show is crap and is more about the emotional aspect vs. renovation so I don't watch it. Cheers, cc

The home they just built in a week is near where I live, they did build it in the time they stated, in the rain a large majority of the time. They had people working on it 24 hours a day.
Of course they have it planned out ahead of time, it is VERY orchestrated and planned to meet deadlines, many local companies and contractors were involved, and the local news followed it very closely.
For the most part, what you see is what really happened.