OT: ethics

While that makes a lot of sense, properly run private companies offer good incentives also. Profit sharing and bonuses work well. It also makes it easy to find the slackers and get rid of them since they are taking "our" money.

Pride in doing a good job helps too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So, you've met him.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Never said it didn't; simply was describing one particular organization.

OTOH, ime many companies that have profit sharing and/or bonus plans tend to "top-load" the rewards from those more based on position than actual performance. The company of which I was speaking (being a bunch of engineers/scientists from the git-go) had a set of formulae the founders had derived to arbitrate based on specific criteria.

--

Reply to
dpb

Observing the performance of several "consultants" who billed by the day or week is what made me billby the hour :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

In any other context (say a furniture vendor sending a TV to someone who bought furniture for a company), this would be called a "kick back". -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Great story Morris. I think I knew one or two big blue employees like that :-).

Many years ago at a small blue plotter maker, my boss used to go out to the roach coach, buy my lunch, and quietly place it on my desk. He spent a great deal of time ensuring that no one disturbed me :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

What used to bug me was the guy who was making $30 an hour yakking on the phone with his wife while the $300/hr consultant cooled his heels wating for an answer he needed in order to get on with his job.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't have an counter argument, particularly now that fares vary so widely.

Reply to
krw

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:24:25 -0600, the infamous dpb scrawled the following:

Every employer wants a salary based on 40 hours but many also -expect- the salaried employee to work 60 hours a week for it. Many get it.

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The official policy was something like "7:42 to 4:40, give or take two hours." The unofficial policy was "get your work done". Of course this included being present for any meetings. Outside a couple of years after IBM got a shiny new time accounting system and when I was contracting to Lockheed Martin, I haven't filled out a time card for thirty-five years. Other than the contracting stint, my pay has never been tied to the time sheet.

Sure. I've usually worked on one product, though perhaps several subsystems at a time. Where I work now, there is a spreadsheet we fill out every month or three. There are columns for different projects but I've never entered anything in any other than one project's "development" column, or in "paid time off".

When I was contracting (DOD contract) it was only one project, so it was just time in/out. ...and they screwed that up.

Reply to
krw

Computers at work should never be used for personal effects, not email, not shopping, U-tube, music, dating or anything else that is not work related. Those who do are subject to termination. Frequent flyer miles can be used to upgrade a future business flight, but never for personal off-job use. These are strict morals and I know there are many companies that are very relaxed--but that can hurt more than help. Always best to keep business and personal as separate as possible.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hmm. How do you feel about personal telephone calls? Wearing clothes to work bought with your own money? Using the snack bar to eat your own personal lunch?

Just askin'.

Reply to
HeyBub

Phisherman wrote: ...

As someone else posted, computers at work should be used within the policies established by the employer--some allow the casual use as they recognize draconian policies can be counterproductive to morale. Most recent employers I've been at have even allowed browsing on the internet during lunch and or other break time as acceptable usage within obvious restrictions.

I'd say the "as separate as possible" is that it's almost impossible in a practical sense to not answer the phone and talk to the wife about the sick kid, schedule appointments, etc., etc., etc., entirely away from the office.

On the ff miles, what do propose when these miles have accumulated in an individual's name on trips for a specific employer and now they are working somewhere else? Are they to never be used? (As someone else also noted, "just askin' :) )

--

Reply to
dpb

I'd not be quite so strict about music--if listening to music while you work makes you more productive, and it does for some people (I'm not one of them), then it's in the company's interest for them to listen to it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

When I was working as a mechanical engineer, if there had been an Internet then, I'd have likely sometimes spent days on it doing work-related stuff--mostly looking for off-the-shelf components to do a job and not have to reinvent the wheel.

If the employer treats them as a perk then there's no reason not to use them any more than there's a reason not to use the employer-paid medical insurance when you're sick.

Reply to
J. Clarke

As long as other people don't have to listen :-).

I almost feel I should apologize for what's turning into a never ending thread :-).

But as long as I'm curmudgeon for the day, the above brings up another puzzler. Seems like everyone under 50, and a goodly number over that, are either listening to music or using a cell phone almost every waking minute. What gives?

Do they need constant mental stimulation? Is perpetual social contact required to keep them sane? Are they afraid that in quiet and solitude they'll find their brain has no worthwhile thoughts?

BTW, I love music. Mostly classical. But I don't use it as silence filler. I won't run the radio in the car unless I'm on a deserted highway because I find my attention gets too engrossed in the music. When I want music, I lean back in my recliner, close my eyes, and

*listen*.
Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I can't go to baseball games, anymore. The subtle sounds used to be part of the experience. Hearing the infielders punch the pockets of their gloves. Hearing them chatter to one another. Hearing *nothing* until there was something to hear, like the crack of the bat or a fastball smacking into the catcher's mit, followed by the grunt from the ump.

Now, there isn't a single, solitary second that is allowed to pass at a ballgame. They are constantly playing music... even *in between* pitches. Drives me nuts. Started with the organ thing years ago, which was ok, because it seemed to be dictated by the tempo and status of the game, itself.

But now, I don't know what they're thinking. What, if I'm not under a constant barrage of stimulation, I might forget why I'm there and walk out without buying another $5 beer or $15 program?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Then there are the back-ground rythm track fillers during news casts. They drive me nuts. If anyone is wondering why CNN is now dead- last...maybe that is why.

Reply to
Robatoy

Speaking for myself, having music playing helps me deal with my mild tinnitus. Silence isn't silent for me. It's having mosquitos live in my head. And when I have a cold it's bees, not mosquitos.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yep, that's a big-time annoyance for this baseball fan too. All is not lost, though: there's still high school and college ball. Certainly not the quality of ML or AAA professional ball... but it's still enjoyable to watch. And quiet.

Reply to
Doug Miller