OT: Ebay's new feedback system modifications

Page 1 of 2

At least, they're new to me. When did Ebay begin hiding feedback given by the first party from the second until the second has given their feedback? (or have I misinterpreted what happened?)
Positives:     Feedback is less likely to be retaliatory to         feedback left.
        It also reduces the need to require that the         seller leave feedback first.
Negatives:    Getting feedback is dependent upon receiving         it (not sure this is really a bad thing.)
I wonder if this'll increase the number of sellers that leave feedback before the buyer.
er
--
email not valid

Gonna have to keep an eye on this. I didn't notice it... I buy a lot of different tools and supplies there but since I haven't had any problems with anyone I have never really paid attention.
If you find this to be true, please post a follow up post, and I will do the same.
Thanks -
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I had a recent sale where I got an email from the buyer that said they had left positive feedback for me (I hadn't left their's yet) and when I looked there was nothing in my feedback. After I posted their feedback, mine showed up.
Fred
Fred wrote:

That's what I noticed: you see feedback has been left on your "My Ebay" summary page, but it doesn't show up on your feedback page until you've submitted your own.
er
--
email not valid

I wonder if you would have observed this phenomenon, had you cleared your browser cache before checking your feedback page.... Hmmm. I think I'll try an experiment there. I've sold a few items in the last couple days. They're still in transit, so obviously there won't be any buyer feedback for a few days yet. I think I'll just wait a bit to submit mine, and see what happens.
--
Regards,

I have sold several items during the last month, including this week. I have seen my feedback as the seller posted and on the buyers feedback page waiting for the buyer to reciprocate. I have also had a few buyers beat me to the punch and leave their feedback, which shows on my summary, before I have been able to leave theirs. This was just in the last few days. I am not aware of any feedback posting changes. I have noticed that sometimes I will see feedback posted by the buyer/seller but not included in my summary number and that has been the case several times and sometimes can last a day or two.
On posting feedback, as a buyer I wait until I get the item and make sure it is as described. I have bought many items and have had two items (same seller) not leave feedback. As a seller I generally wait until I know that the package has arrived (tracking information) and then post my feedback. Out of the 80 or so items I have sold and left feedback for I have had around 10 or 15 not leave feedback. It is generally the newer members that do not leave feedback.
Old Grey wrote:

Thanks.
er
--
email not valid

Funny, I see it the opposite way. As a seller I want to be sure the buyer is happy, and has left positive feedback before I'll leave the seller's feedback.
What if, as a seller, you post positive feedback before the buyer has, and *then* the buyer acts like an a**hole and changes his mind about the purchase? Maybe he wants to return the item at your expense, maybe claiming it was not as advertised or some other false claim.
As a buyer I leave feedback after I have received the mdse and found it to be as claimed.
OTOH I have never had a bad experience as either buyer or seller, and I've been involved in over 50 transactions as buyer and seller.
OTPS: My *first* shipment on my new Fedex account went missing -- an 80# 22" LaCie monitor, shipped in the original packaging with the Fedex-printed label. Tracking showed the original drop-off, and then nothing. Fedex couldn't find it, and asked me to make a claim. Which I have, no word after 1-1/2 weeks. I had to refund the buyer over $300, including a $90.00 shipping charge. Feh.
--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

On 2/4/2006 10:51 AM Vince Heuring mumbled something about the following:

If you were a B&M business, would you wait to thank me for my purchase until after I took my purchase home and decided if I wanted to keep it, or would you thank me for my purchase when I paid for it?
It's people like you who that I will never give feedback to.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

The point is that eBay is way different from a B&M business. In a B&M transaction the buyer is buying stock item, he's picked it up and looked at it, decided he wants it, gone to the cashier, and paid his money. Transaction done. Of course I'd thank him and wish him a good day.
On eBay the mdse is really an unknown quantity until the buyer receives it and examines it. The seller may not even know if the buyer has received the item until feedback is received.
Like I said, as a seller I want to be sure the buyer is happy, and has left positive feedback before I'll leave the seller's feedback.
YMMV.

eBay is simply the world's largest flea market, complete with a mix of professional vendors, black market merchandise, and amateur tag salers.
Barry
On 2/4/2006 3:21 PM Argon mumbled something about the following:

I'll make sure I don't buy from you, because you'll never get feedback from me.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

I used to wait for the buyer to leave feedback before I did as well. Turned out a lot of sellers I bought from gave me feedback as soon as they shipped and I started to think that as long as I describe the merchandize correctly, show adequate pictures of it, and sell it for a reasonable price including little to no handling fees, I should be alright. Heck if the buyer wants to leave negative feedback me holding off on mine isn't going to do anything anyway and who cares if they have a positive from me. I can always leave a response to their feedback if necessary.
On 2/4/2006 6:07 PM Old Grey mumbled something about the following:

Absolutely correct. If the merchandise I purchase is as told, and I received it in reasonable time, and email correspondence is good if the shipping takes longer than expected, then I have no reason to give negative feedback, but I'm not going to give it if the seller hasn't given feedback. I'm the buyer, the seller already has my money and already knows what his feedback is of the transaction before I even receive it.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Not a bad idea, if I could just get buyers to leave feed-back.... My experience is that less then 1/2 do. While it appears more like 80 or 90 percent of sellers do
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
On 1/31/2006 8:53 AM Ralph E Lindberg mumbled something about the following:

Many buyers will refuse to leave feedback until the seller has left feedback. The seller knows first what their feedback will be like. The buyer, OTOH, won't know until he receives the item. I will never leave feedback on a purchase if the seller doesn't leave feedback.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
Odinn wrote:

I'm with you on that. The sellers feedback "SHOULD" have nothing to do with the buyers feedback. His should be restricted to communication and a successful completion of the deal in a reasonable time. The Buyers "SHOULD" be restricted to a seedy delivery, truth in promotion of the product and quality.
I very rarely purchase from sellers who demand that I leave feedback prior to them leaving it for me. On the few occasions that I have, I have never left feedback for them.
Their feedback has nothing to do with mine and visa versa.
Regards John
Odinn wrote:

I have a much better ratio than that. It's closer to 1.0, but sometimes I mess up and misread the post dates on seller's feedback and their buyer's.

I do the same as you. I expect that the seller should be giving feedback on my purchase, not holding it over my head as a retaliation should I not be happy and decide to leave negative feedback.
I never tell them that I won't leave feedback unless they do, however. It's up to them to figure out or act positively without figuring it out, or do without my feedback. Unless I feel really bad about something (never have...), in which case I would leave a negative, then I would also not have to worry about the retaliation because I imagine their (putative) shoddy behavior would be clear.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

When you walk into Rockler's or Woodcraft and plunk down a C-note for something, would you be the least bit put off if the guy standing at the register gave you a blank, bored look until you thanked him for taking your money?
My feeling is that if I send Angelo Bagadonuts $50.00 for a Widgit on Ebay, he's got my money and my trust before I get my goods. Once he's got that, he has all that he hoped for. If he's playing it straight and the merchandise is as described, what are the odds that a buyer's going to go out of his way to mess with him?
Using the same logic, don't you think it more likely that the buyer will say "you're welcome" by way of appropriate feedback if the seller says "thank you" first as is appropriate?
Just my two cents but it strikes me as common courtesy which, alas, is no longer all that common.

Amen brother!
Been there, done that.
No more!

In the latest case, I had two sales totaling $500, both people picked them up, both peopel raved about what they got, both people had feedback before they got home. Neither has given feedback in return and it's been almost two weeks.
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org