OT: Ebay's new feedback system modifications

At least, they're new to me. When did Ebay begin hiding feedback given by the first party from the second until the second has given their feedback? (or have I misinterpreted what happened?)

Positives: Feedback is less likely to be retaliatory to feedback left.

It also reduces the need to require that the seller leave feedback first.

Negatives: Getting feedback is dependent upon receiving it (not sure this is really a bad thing.)

I wonder if this'll increase the number of sellers that leave feedback before the buyer.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Gonna have to keep an eye on this. I didn't notice it... I buy a lot of different tools and supplies there but since I haven't had any problems with anyone I have never really paid attention.

If you find this to be true, please post a follow up post, and I will do the same.

Thanks -

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I had a recent sale where I got an email from the buyer that said they had left positive feedback for me (I hadn't left their's yet) and when I looked there was nothing in my feedback. After I posted their feedback, mine showed up.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Not a bad idea, if I could just get buyers to leave feed-back.... My experience is that less then 1/2 do. While it appears more like 80 or 90 percent of sellers do

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Reply to
Mike Berger

They don't. Feedback often takes a day or so to show up after it's left.

Reply to
Dhakala

That's what I noticed: you see feedback has been left on your "My Ebay" summary page, but it doesn't show up on your feedback page until you've submitted your own.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Then it's entirely coincidence that the seller's feedback showed up on my feedback page immediately after my having left mine? I should add that I waited a considerable number of days after having noticed the feedback left on the "My Ebay" page before posting mine, and during that time it didn't appear.

But I suppose that's possible.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I wonder if you would have observed this phenomenon, had you cleared your browser cache before checking your feedback page.... Hmmm. I think I'll try an experiment there. I've sold a few items in the last couple days. They're still in transit, so obviously there won't be any buyer feedback for a few days yet. I think I'll just wait a bit to submit mine, and see what happens.

Reply to
Doug Miller

On 1/31/2006 8:53 AM Ralph E Lindberg mumbled something about the following:

Many buyers will refuse to leave feedback until the seller has left feedback. The seller knows first what their feedback will be like. The buyer, OTOH, won't know until he receives the item. I will never leave feedback on a purchase if the seller doesn't leave feedback.

Reply to
Odinn

I'm with you on that. The sellers feedback "SHOULD" have nothing to do with the buyers feedback. His should be restricted to communication and a successful completion of the deal in a reasonable time. The Buyers "SHOULD" be restricted to a seedy delivery, truth in promotion of the product and quality.

I very rarely purchase from sellers who demand that I leave feedback prior to them leaving it for me. On the few occasions that I have, I have never left feedback for them.

Their feedback has nothing to do with mine and visa versa.

Regards John

Reply to
John B

I have a much better ratio than that. It's closer to 1.0, but sometimes I mess up and misread the post dates on seller's feedback and their buyer's.

I do the same as you. I expect that the seller should be giving feedback on my purchase, not holding it over my head as a retaliation should I not be happy and decide to leave negative feedback.

I never tell them that I won't leave feedback unless they do, however. It's up to them to figure out or act positively without figuring it out, or do without my feedback. Unless I feel really bad about something (never have...), in which case I would leave a negative, then I would also not have to worry about the retaliation because I imagine their (putative) shoddy behavior would be clear.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

When you walk into Rockler's or Woodcraft and plunk down a C-note for something, would you be the least bit put off if the guy standing at the register gave you a blank, bored look until you thanked him for taking your money?

My feeling is that if I send Angelo Bagadonuts $50.00 for a Widgit on Ebay, he's got my money and my trust before I get my goods. Once he's got that, he has all that he hoped for. If he's playing it straight and the merchandise is as described, what are the odds that a buyer's going to go out of his way to mess with him?

Using the same logic, don't you think it more likely that the buyer will say "you're welcome" by way of appropriate feedback if the seller says "thank you" first as is appropriate?

Just my two cents but it strikes me as common courtesy which, alas, is no longer all that common.

Amen brother!

Been there, done that.

No more!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

In the latest case, I had two sales totaling $500, both people picked them up, both peopel raved about what they got, both people had feedback before they got home. Neither has given feedback in return and it's been almost two weeks.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I can't tell that anything had changed at least as of 1-18. I bought an item on that date and I had positive feedback as soon as I paid the guy. That was about four days before I recieved the item and that's when I left his feedback. Maybe the change was after that...?

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I noticed on the 27th, where the seller left theirs on the 23rd (just checked.) I saw the pos feedback on the "My Ebay" page, but it didn't show up on the feedback page until right after I'd put mine up.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I wonder if this means that if you leave negative, and the other party doesn't leave feedback it will never show up?

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Good question. I knew there must be a bad side!

I'm beginning to think, though, that it may be nothing more than a synchronization issue of the databases. Haven't seen anything like a confirmation.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

The Ralph E Lindberg entity posted thusly:

Don't be shy. Send them an email and ask for feedback.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Say, when you pull up their feedback pages, do you see your feedback contribution?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root