OT Easy Open-Resealable Packaging

How do people survive who do not have or know how to use hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, vise-grips, heavy duty shears or other implement to access the contents?

Reply to
John

I have often thought that people who develop some of this plastic packaging should have to spend their eternity opening them.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

injuries per year -- in the US alone!

Dave

Reply to
David

Easy - just ask my sister. She's on husband #5 - none of the others knew what a hammer looked like much less how to use one.....;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S

A pocket knife ... tis a manly tool, and the acquisition of which was heretofore one of the first steps to manhood.

Reply to
Swingman

I was a Pocket Knife Man but went on to become a Leatherman Man.

The Phillips cams out under pressure - they need to deal with this.

(watson - who is listening to Ode To A Butterfly and wondering how a human being can pick that fast)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

And hope that the skills for use accompanies such an acquisition. Otherwise, one is likely to remove a finger or two attempting to open those freaking heat-sealed plastic vaults of personal injury.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

They have - Square Drive.

Tom, is that of the Nickle Creek variety?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

They spell it "Nickel" but I believe them to be the same.

That kid who plays the mandolin is completely amazing to me.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Oops - Missed that. My legs must have been dangling down, down... You have the advantage of having the album sitting in front of you...

Yepper. The flourishes he manages to fit in between the notes that 'normal folks' can play are indeed phenomenal.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Check out:

:-)

Mark & Juanita

Power tools!

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

And why is that the impregnable packaging is reserved for NON-food items???

Reply to
KaiS.

Oh, it's not.

Every try to open "Old Dutch" potato chips? The ones that come in two plastic bags inside a cardboard box. They've got some kind of quantum thing going on...you pull and pull and all of the sudden the bag explodes and there are chips everywhere...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

They do that with most everything these days. Cereals were easy to open until they got away from waxed paper. Now, it some kind of plastic coated, somewhat stretchable, junk that is best opened with scissors...the U.S. packaging world's answer to getting the least out of what is in a package. Put half the food on the floor or in a sink full of dirty dishes.

Reply to
Charles Self

You mean Robertson.

Listening to music while drafting, woodworking or programming is one of=20 life's great pleasures...

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

I've got one of the original Leatherman tools and, as with most other things, they don't make'm like that one any more.

Damn thing is just too big to put in your pocket, and with the cell phone and tape measure on the belt, already in danger of the 'butt crack boogie' as it is.

But you're right ... a Leatherman tool answers the OP's original question, like it was made for it.

Reply to
Swingman

Think about Duluth Trading--Longtail T, or, failing that, tool belt suspenders. The suspenders are black and ugly but have padded shoulders and work.

Reply to
Charles Self

As someone who works for a company that makes such plastic packaging, such as clamshells, trifolds, cards (plastic front glued/sealed to a carboard back)...yeah, its overkill on many items!

I'm a moldmaker. I agree, it seems like overkill on some packages, but a lot of it is done to prevent "loss" (shoplifting).

I hate to open such thing too. Thats what utility knives and scissors are for! :)

John

Reply to
John T

The pocket knife is mandatory, I carry two, one in each front pocket (yes, I do use them a lot). The clamshell type container has outdone it though. I open them with a scroll saw.

Reply to
CW