OT: Do you really expect quality service from the Borg?

Page 1 of 3
It simply amazes me when I see people act like they expect quality and knowledgeable service from a huge corporate profit center such as Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart or such. I mean... really? Do you really expect to pay the low prices, have the huge inventory selections and someone to wait on you who knows as much about all the products they carry as you may about the few items you've come shopping for?
We've created the need for these supercenters out of our desire for a convenient one-stop shopping location. Get out of our way, we know what we need and how to use it. Oh? You're not going to hire people who know as much as we do and pay them what they are worth and still keep these huge selections and low prices?? You mean out of the thousands or hundreds of thousands of items you carry you aren't going to guarantee that you will diligently make sure each and every one of them are properly marked and priced and located within easy reach? You mean you're not going to hire 150 professionally trained people and place an adequate number on each isle that knows exactly what each item is used for in his/her department and also know what each and every item is and where it's located in all the other departments? You mean I might actually have to wait in line and be waited on by someone who wasn't also trained and taught what each and every item is and how it's used? Well I never.... how dare those self centered, selfish,greedy corporate businesses act that way. That's exclusively OUR right as a consumer.......give it to me cheap, quick and accurate...<g>
Come on....really? Think about this the next time you get frustrated at some young kid who may be trying to find his way in life, albeit poorly, or the next time some elderly person waits on you that doesn't have a clue but is just trying to make ends meet and keep a job that provides medical insurance, or that girl who is trying to keep this job because she keeps losing jobs from all the time she has to take off to take care of her baby ever since that dead beat husband of hers left and won't even stand up and be a man and pay his measly court ordered child support which doesn't even come close to the amount he spends on beer per week. Think about this the next time you feel that you've been mistreated.... The laws of probability are inevitable. Eventually we all make mistakes. Do you compensate everyone when it's you making the mistake?

When they advertise their services as providing all the above, do we not have the right to hold them to that standard?
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
that's like saying you expect the burgers to look like those on the commercials

No, it's demanding that companies live up to their publicly advertised commitments.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

But there's some common sense that needs to be thrown in as well. If I bought every golf aid out there claiming to add 5, 10, or 20 yards to my drive, I'd hit the ball 500 yards.

In an ideal world, they would. But in this one, they won't. Remember that Ford commercial from 2-3 years ago that showed a Ford pickup uprooting a tree that must have been 24" in diameter, roots and all? Sure it's exaggeration (fantasy?) for effect, but you and I and each of us can name dozens more examples of hype. We see and hear them every day. HD's advertising is pure hype.
Bob
thank you Bob.....now if you don't mind I'm going to get me some of that beer so those twins in bathing suits will come over and see my vehicle and smell my cologne and fall at my feet...and if my wife doesn't like it I'll just get her some of that shampoo that causes her to have an orgasm and maybe some of those feminine products so she can go horseback or roller skating with a smile on her face.....truth is I actually saw a commercial aired on tv where the girl took her tampon and plugged a hole in the bottom of a boat....sheesh...talk about hype.
mel wrote:

that must've been a bloody mess......

Known in legalese as "puffery".
Barry

Nope. I haven't watched much TV for the last 3 or 4 years.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
They go out of there way to say they have these pro's and we all know there BS'ing us. My brother used to work for them. He is a carpenter and his back went out so he took the job there since he couldn't bang nails any more. They didn't care at all that he had skills. It's a big fat lie....

Although it is a shame that we've been so accustomed to advertisers lying about their products that we don't even get indignant anymore.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
believing in advertising is a whole nuther topic...lol
Bottom line? Yes I expect them to offer all that and everything else they advertise or DON'T ADVERTISE IT. Its that simple. What if I went out tomorrow and started a huge advertising campaign promoting my ability to custom build any kitchen, complete in only 72 hours installed. I figure what the hell, I'll tell people that to get their attention. Then when folks started complaining I simply stand up and state "Oh come on now people you didn't really expect me to be able to come through on that did you?" This is ridiculous. And your sad tales of woe about the kid starting out in life and the elderly person working just for the medical insurance? You forgot to mention the poor ol broke cabinet maker who's losing his ass because he spends all his time at the damn store trying to educate the employees there so he can sleep well at night knowing he didn't take advantage of one of these poor individuals. Totally ridiculous.
Jim

I didn't realize that was your only choice for doing business.....but let's be realistic....honest advertising?? Seriously? Dude if that's the standard you expect you're in for some serious disappointment.

I suggest the book "Affluenza" as required reading. <G>
A good part of the book is about how WE are killing off mom and pop stores, and our own Main Streets, in search of a lower price or a bigger mall.
Barry
My bet is that it's going to hurt worse than that. Next time you're at a grocery store take a look at where the produce comes from... it wont' be long before we won't be able to feed ourselves, it that isn't the case already.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/16/04

That's also in the book. <G>