OT Craft show question

Page 1 of 2
Did a high end invitation only show this weekend. Great setting ( Governors Mansion and Capitol Building grounds) free food for all and special VIP breakfast for invited participants. Lots of fancy dress and Ky Derby Hats on the women and all the usual Ky Derby hoopla. The general public was invited to a buffet breakfast and to see and buy from the vendors (only 36 vendors invited) I had one family with three little girls come by and the oldest kid about 10 yr old threw up in front of my booth, causing an awkward moment. Every thing else went fine, decent sales, nice customers most on the upper scale of income. Toward the end of the show I had a mother and daughter come in to the booth, both clean but not "well dressed", kid wanted every thing in the booth. She finally settled on two items one $6 and one $8. The mother gently let the kid know that she couldn't afford the $8 toy but could get the $6 toy, if they didn't buy anything else at the show and skipped some other treat of the day. (This was done quietly while I was with another customer so I wouldn't know.) What should I have done?
What I did was offer the mother a "slightly damaged" $8 toy for $6 and when she agreed (much to the little girl"s delight) and I had made the transaction I knelt beside the little girl (in the mother's sight and hearing) and slipped the $6 dollar toy in her pocket and told her it was because she was such a delightful and cute child. I got a hug from the girl a smile from the mother and a your a sucker look from SWMBO.
Tie in to wood they were wooden toys.

Ky
vendors
by
an
mother
the
while
done?
when
girl
The world needs more "suckers" like you. Fine thing you did there.
sweet sawdust wrote:
> Did a high end invitation only show this weekend. <snip a tear jerk story> > I got a hug from the girl > a smile from the mother and a your a sucker look from SWMBO.
Your CFO complains about giving the store away.
Your VP of Sales complains about losing commissions.
As CEO, you get to make executive decisions that allow you the opportunity to reap the rewards of knowing you made some body else's day a little bit brighter.
You enjoy those moments to the fullest, because there is no place for them in the bank.
That's one of the perks of being the CEO. <G>
Lew

That should tell you right there what you need to know about doing a good thing, or the right thing.

Pretty sad comment there.
I don't give away a lot in my business, but I have to say that with my now aged, partially disabled parents living on SS, I do have a real soft spot for the old folks.
My buddies call my efforts "gettin' my ticket punched for the Glory train".
I do it because I want to.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No, no. She knows him well, and knows that he's a sucker; that's probably one part of why she loves him. She'll be proud of him, like the rest of us.
(BTW I hope I've worked out gender assignments here; if I haven't then please forgive me and forget about it: it's not germane to the point I'm making.)
--

Henry Law Manchester, England

What should you have done? What you did, of course.

I'm guessing the kid needed the toy more than you needed six bucks. You did the right thing. Thanks for making the world a little bit better place than it was the day before. Good job.
--
Regards,
Sun, May 6, 2007, 11:07pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (sweetsawdust) doth sayth: Did a high end invitation only show this weekend. Great setting ( Governors Mansion and Capitol Building grounds) free food for all and special VIP breakfast for invited participants. Lots of fancy dress and Ky Derby Hats on the women and all the usual Ky Derby hoopla. The general public was invited to a buffet breakfast <snip>
(sweet sawdust) doth sayth: Did a high end invitation only show this weekend. Great setting ( Governors Mansion and Capitol Building grounds) free food for all and special VIP breakfast for invited participants. Lots of fancy dress and Ky Derby Hats on the women and all the usual Ky Derby hoopla. The general public was invited to a buffet breakfast <snip>
Why the OT? It's loads more on-topic that a lot o stuff tat people do't boter to label off-topic.
Ya dun good. But I agree with your wife.
And why were alll the rest of us not invited?
I do this show only every two or three years, next time I go I will see to it that you get an invite, but remember you have to dress up fancy with a big flowered hat for the Derby. Or at least look like a horse.
Mon, May 7, 2007, 11:29pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (sweetsawdust) doth promise: I do this show only every two or three years, next time I go I will see to it that you get an invite, but remember you have to dress up fancy with a big flowered hat for the Derby. Or at least look like a horse.
OK thanks, I'll skip the horse, and wear the hat. I suppose you'll expect me to wear pants too. There's alway a catch.
You definitely deserved that hug :D
Kate O|||||||O
[...]

Considering the state of the world today, you set a great example for the mother and child that there still are nice people around. I'd bet the smile and the hug were the best payment you received that day.
Well done!
Vic
sweet sawdust wrote:

snip
What should I have done?
snip
Almost missed the question there. But you answered it yourself just like I think you should have.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Best part of the day, huh?
Who says Santa doesn't exist......maybe a little late.
That's what being an American is about......caring about our fellow people.
Thank everyone for the answers and kind words. doing something like this does make a day or show special, and I always have found one person whose day can be made better by a kind word or act. Some day if any one is interested I'll share some of the stranger/funnier ones. How ever I am finding more of the little girls in my story at every show then I have in the past. Makes me wonder what's going on and If I can keep giving away items Like I have in the past. I know I will as long as I can afford it.
One last story about a show. It was a slow show, looking crowd not many buyers. A family comes in and are looking at the toys, playing with them and asking questions. The Grandfather who spoke with a strange (at least to me) accent was introduced to me as just having come over to visit his daughter from Israel. He picked up a $2 item and told me it was two expensive, he would like to buy it but wouldn't pay such a high price for it. His daughter turned around from talking with my wife with a look of horror on her face. I told the grandfather that to take less would be a disgrace to my labor and for him to pay less would dishoner me. We went on for about ten minutes accusing each other of trying to rob the other and steal food from out of our babies mouths etc. Drew a small crowd and had the daughter and her husband trying to crawl in a hole and hide. In the end he got the item for $1.90. I sold about $50 or so to the amused onlookers and daughter and husband hustled the old man away looking like they wanted to die. It was a fun sale.

SNIP

buy it but wouldn't pay such a high price >for it. His daughter turned around from talking with my >wife with a look of horror on her face. I told the >randfather that to take less would be a disgrace to

SNIP
Wow. Life is too short for that, amigo. I would have told him that sorry old tightwad to get lost. I have run into that attitude before, but rarely over ten frikkin' cents. In his mind, or in his country, haggling may be a tradition. Good for him.
I wouldn't stand there and waste air talking to him, making everyone around us feel that uncomfortable.
My thoughts are this: if you want to tell me something I am selling is too expensive, that is certainly your option. Any salesperson is used to hearing that.
If you want to stand and insult me, my ethics, my work, my business and talk to me about taking food out of a child's mouth for something that you >>don't have to buy<<, beware.
I will try to give about double what I get from that exchange.
And for .10? Ten cents?
I would probably throw a two dollar item at him and tell him to shove it.
But then, that's just me. As always, YMMV.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
> Wow. Life is too short for that, amigo. I would have told him that > sorry old tightwad to get lost.
It's not the money, it's the game that counts.
Money is just how you keep score.
Lew
If it had been a busy show I wouldn't have given him the time of day either, but it was slow I was bored and he was too. No malice was intended on either side it was a game I had played in Europe and he had played in his home land. A little fun for booth of us.

Mon, May 7, 2007, 11:26pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (sweetsawdust) doth sayeth: <snip> He picked up a $2 item <snip>
OK, what I'm wondering is what are you selling at $2, $6, and $8? And what century was this? You're actually making a profit? I'm wondering because if I priced anything at $2, I wouldn't even be making materials cost, let alone anything for labor; and only about $2 for labor at $8.
(sweet sawdust) doth sayeth: <snip> He picked up a $2 item <snip>
OK, what I'm wondering is what are you selling at $2, $6, and $8? And what century was this? You're actually making a profit? I'm wondering because if I priced anything at $2, I wouldn't even be making materials cost, let alone anything for labor; and only about $2 for labor at $8.
Toys. At this show it was 1850. The $2 dollar item was a Gee-Haw whammey doodle stick. Its a stick with notches and a propeller that you rub with another stick to make the propeller spin and when you say the magic word the propeller reverses. I made them by the hundreds and they cost about a buck each to make including labor and materals. The $6 dollar item is a spinning disk ( button on a string) also make a few hundred at a time and cost about a buck and a half to make. Good selling low end items for kids who only have a few dollars to spend and with a lot of wiggle room when I need it. The $8 dollar item is the acrobat which costs about $4 to make. These are my low end items which I use to make booth fees and gas money at shows. For more info go to sweetsawdust.com and look at toys.