Phenolic Plywood sources?

I have seen the green "Colorfin" phenolic faced plywood at the local Woodcraft in Portland. I am impressed. I am also impressed at the price... it's basically thin green phenolic, probably epoxied onto the face of 13 ply birch. Anyone know of a more reasonable source for this material? Methinks it would be ideal for DIY shop built machines. Heavy, stable, slick, and tough.

Is the material used for concrete forms comparable? I know it can be had for around $50 a sheet but it is probably not as nice...?

Bob the Tomato

Reply to
Bob the Tomato

I understand according to WoodPeckers.com that concrete forming is exactly what it is used for and where may I ask did you find it for that price? I would like to buy sheets at that price. Please respond to me thru email I may not return to this thread. D. Vogel

Reply to
Seeker

Bob the Tomato wrote: | I have seen the green "Colorfin" phenolic faced plywood at the local | Woodcraft in Portland. I am impressed. I am also impressed at the | price... it's basically thin green phenolic, probably epoxied onto | the face of 13 ply birch. Anyone know of a more reasonable source | for this material? Methinks it would be ideal for DIY shop built | machines. Heavy, stable, slick, and tough. | | Is the material used for concrete forms comparable? I know it can | be had for around $50 a sheet but it is probably not as nice...?

It is good for DIY machines - but it's pretty hard on router bits. BTW, the phenolic surfaces paint up nicely with Krylon.

I'm also interested in finding suppliers of full-size sheets - and, of course, good prices.

Morris Dovey

Reply to
Pat Barber

My understanding is that it's not laminated to the ply, it's actually formed with the ply itself so it's really bonded in there. I used it for my router table top.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Sorry, I don't have access to email thru this server...

Description from the website...

Manufacturer: C & H CONCRETE SPECIALTS Description: PHENOLIC SURFACE PLYWOOD 3/4"X4'X8' - Cuts and fastens just like ordinary plywood. 11 ply for amazing strength and durability with exterior glue for added strength. Phenolic coating on both sides! High multiple re-use! High scuff and abrasion resistance of Phenolic Ply which means that panels last longer in all applications. Features: Abrasion Resistant, Super Long Life, Chemically Resistant, Little or No Form Release Needed.

affiliation, etc...

They have a location nearby... I will have to stop and check it out. From the photo on the website, hopefully it's not just MDO, that's not what I'm looking for. $50.91 a sheet. I imagine you wouldn't want to ship this. (Although if there was a demand and I could make a few bucks, I could cut it up into quarter sheets and ship it...)

It doesn't have the same sexy green color as the small piece you get at Woodcraft, but it's 1/3 the price. If it's the same stuff, it appears to be a deal. Anyone know of a cheaper source?

Bob the Tomato

Reply to
Bob the Tomato

Yeah, that's a little rich for my blood. Could make the router table top out of solid bocote for that price. David Marks, eat your heart out! LOL

Bob the Tomato

Reply to
Bob the Tomato

That's what I thought. I even looked up phenolic material at McMaster's (for another project) and thought about buying 1/32" sheets and bonding it myself. I have quite a bit of experience epoxying, but McMaster doesn't have any great deals on it. I'm actually kinda surprised, usually they are quite reasonable on raw materials. Since this is similar to the materials used in circuit boards (I'm aware that there are beaucoup many kinds of phenolic) then somebody makes this stuff by the acre. Just wondering if there were any obvious great deals out there that I'm missing.

I had to replace a burned circuit board in a high voltage piece of equipment at work. I custom made the board out of G-10 1/2" thick by about a foot square. Nice stuff, but it's priced like it's made out of gold.

Bob the Tomato

Reply to
Bob the Tomato