OT- Captain jumps overboard, SEALs shoot pirates (Apr 12) (US 3, Pirates 0)

Page 3 of 6
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

That idea has been suggested to solve the world's aggression problems for probably more years than either one of us have lived.
Only problem seems to be getting some agreement on how to implement it.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I noticed that. :) I decided to make agreement a non-problem by taking the bit between my teeth and seeing if anyone would follow.
I also noticed that the "healthy family" part wasn't completely separate from the "full belly" problem (not much rocket surgery there).
The "full belly" problem, when it actually /was/ a problem seemed to resolve into a problem of having water in the wrong place - a concept that crystallized for me when I heard a Minnesota farm neighbor talking about recent heavy rains. "None or too much", he quipped - and so gave me a flash of insight that extended well beyond rain.
That was 30 years ago, and by a really strange chain of events, I ended up designing a cheap/simple/reliable engine/pump that can be powered directly by sunshine - no gas, oil, or electricity needed. (The wreck's Canukistani stirmeister provided some of the early encouragement and suggestions.)
It's working - not as well as I'd like, but it /is/ working. There's a picture of the weird engine at the bottom of
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling/Dyne.html
and the really good news is my off-the-wall efforts have been joined in the past month or so by a team of students in Pakistan and a very capable researcher in France. Their work can be seen at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling/Elsewhere /
There's still much to be done, but I've been encouraged that (unlike the cold fusion research) the present engine has been successfully duplicated elsewhere - and it appears to be simple enough for people to build and maintain for themselves.
Interestingly, two of these engines can be coupled together to make a heat pump for cooling/refrigeration. There's a bit about that tucked into the web page at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Journey.html
I'm hoping the pump will help irrigate the crops to fill more bellies and so help families to be healthier - and maybe, just maybe, help reduce some of that desperation.
Anyone who'd like to join in is welcome.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Well done, Morris! ... and while you should be commended for both the hard work and altruism, it's a damned shame that there are more and more folks who would prefer that you do the work and then provide them with the fruits of *your* labor, gratis.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Thanks but I haven't really worked all that hard - and I work to serve my own ends at least as much as others'.
My work, if it can be called work, is to provide a sense of the /Possible/ to folks who can use that.
Since it can't be bought or sold, it pretty much has to be a gift.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 05:50:10 -0500, Swingman wrote:

And therein lies the problem. You're doing a good job Morris, but there will always be people like the ones described above. And the fanatics who think killing _____________ will get them a ticket to paradise.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

That's true, and it's worth considering whether, why, how, and by whom their activities are supported - because a fanatic without a support context is just another shouter.
The fanatics feed on perceived unfairness, injustice, and dishonesty - and accumulate power when they succeed at inducing others to resonate with their outrage.
The rest of us have, as I see it, these options:
[1] We can ignore, either by conscious choice or by choosing to not inform ourselves, what's happening in the world around us.
[2] We can act to suppress any and all destabilizing influences.
[3] We can examine the situation and attempt to reveal truth, ensure fairness, and provide justice.
The first is the usual option. The second is generally the knee-jerk response when the first option is removed. The third is the most expensive and least comfortable option.
Yes, I suppose there'll always be fanatics. Some of 'em will simply be crazies - but it's probably worth noticing that at least some will be people acting to provoke the third kind of response.
I'm inclined toward finding criminally insane all of those who believe that any kind of paradise can be achieved through murder.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

The 9/11 perps weren't bloated belly, starving folks. On the contrary, they seemed to be well educated, some of which education led to their actions. The British bus bombers had a fairly good life situation other than being led down the Islamic fundamentalist religious path...

Unless motivated by religious extremism >-|
Stuart wrote:

Very true - and it's worth noting that although religious extremism pops up in many guises, its most common threads appear to be the fear and desperation that result from the inability to find a path from yesterday to tomorrow.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Stuart wrote:

Case in point is Ossama bin Laden. His family is one of the richest in Saudi Arabia.

In most other societies, he'd be in a padded cell, talking to others through a mike.
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

IMHO, it is parents who abdicate their parental responsibilities to whatever will fill the time in the lives of these young people, rather than doing the hard work of being a parent.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Studies that take out inner-city gang violence indicate that violence is no worse than it has ever been. So the question to be asking is why inner-city violence has increased in the past decades. One question to aid that inquiry is to ask what locations have been most subjected to removing individual responsibility and substituting dependency upon government handouts. When one is being taken care of by others, it reduces motivation and self-respect. When you look at what the war on poverty has done to inner city families, it is both tragic and criminal.

Morris Dovey wrote:

Uh, I don't think you can find a case where the hungry, the destitute, the deprived of all hope, has, as a group, taken up arms to better their condition.
It takes weapons, planning, and leadership to wage a war. But more importantly, it takes calories. Despots don't retain power by providing a society of plenty; they remain in control by making the populace weak. Weak in spirit and in body.
"Only the hard and strong may call themselves Spartans. Only the hard. Only the strong."
HeyBub wrote:

The day in which it is possible to annihilate villages full of women and children because some bad guys are based there is probably passed, at least for America. So while this idea would probably be quite successful it isn't about to happen. What might be effective is the use of Q-ships such as the British invented in WWI. An assortment of helpless-looking commercial vessels, yachts etc. concealing Special Forces teams augmented with some heavier metal would result in pirate vessels never returning home and with no explanation being apparent. The element of uncertainty would be discouraging....
Of course so long as Somalia is a hell-hole with no effective government and famine, disease etc. being commonplace then there will be no shortage of men willing to risk all for almost unimaginable fortunes by their reckoning.

The one thing I find disturbing in all this is that the neo-cons have been whining for years that liberals are soft on everything. I saw a post on one of the other message boards yesterday that said:
"The last time we had a US President with the balls to face down pirates..."
followed by a link to an article, no doubt about Jefferson and the Barbary pirates, and nothing else.
So, let me see if I have this straight:
Who ordered the SEALs in? The battalion commander? The captain of the ship carrying them? Southern Command? SecNav? DefSec?
No, I'm guessing an overt military act like that pretty much had to come from the Commander in Chief, just like in Jefferson's day. I guess the implication is pretty clear, Obama does have balls, and he deserves as much credit for it as Jefferson gets.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

According to news reports Obama twice authorized the military to use deadly force to resolve the situation, but no way will you see Obamaphobes giving him credit for that. If it had gone wrong and Capt. Phillips had been killed it would be a different story, then they'd be blaming Obama every hour on the hour, but since it was successful the President is out of the equation so far as they're concerned. This is what we've come to, hyper-partisanship to the point of absurdity.
DGDevin wrote:

Oh pshaw.

In which you're not also participating?
Ok, that's enough for me; I'll go back to waiting for the woodworking threads now.
<waiting> <waiting>
Steve Turner wrote:

So if I'm wrong you should have no problem pointing me to those folks who would normally crawl over broken glass for a chance to slam Obama but who have given him credit for making the right call on this occasion.
<crickets>

Correct, I'm not. I have no problem criticizing the Obama administration when it screws up, e.g. their incredibly idiotic proposal for making wounded veterans use their own private health insurance to pay for their medical care. That was one of the worst plans ever to come out of Washington, the home planet for bad plans, the only bright spot is they quickly dropped it when even their own party treated it with the contempt it deserved. However unlike some folks I'm also prepared to give them credit when they get it right, that's the difference.

I visited the College of the Redwoods fine woodworking campus last week. I think I saw some future stars in their formative years--very cool place.
DGDevin wrote:

Yep, you got that right ... but for a short span of time there would now be headlines screaming about Bush murdering 3 black, impoverished, muslim, Somalian teenager's.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08