OT- Captain jumps overboard, SEALs shoot pirates (Apr 12) (US 3, Pirates 0)

Page 2 of 6

<...snipped...>
<...snipped...>
Perhaps the AK parts are simpler than the AR, but surprisingly, according to the drawings in the links, the AK has more parts than the AR.

Morris Dovey wrote:

I'm far more worried about torturing terrorists with naked pictures of themselves and other swine than blowing the heads off a couple of "pirates".
--
Jack
Keel haul him. That is the old way. Effective.
Jack Stein wrote:

Tom Veatch wrote:

Good that they kept one alive. Now all they need is Jack Bauer to extract some info out of him. Oh I forgot Obama's words "we don't torture".. Shucks!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Hey, I'm willing to send them a naked picture of ME if they are willing to show it to the bastard!
--
Jack
Matt wrote:

http://digg.com/world_news/American_captain_rescued_pirates_killed_U_S_official_says
Outstanding!
But you can't win this conflict on the sea, you have to destroy the nest that's on land.
They've got one survivor. He can be encouraged to divulge their home port which, about a half-hour later, should cease to exist. That's what we did in 1802 and 1907. That's what we should do now.
Roosevelt: "The American people want Pedicaris alive or Raisuli dead...The fate of the nation will be decided by the American people in November, and the fate of Morocco will be decided tomorrow by me. And now, if you don't mind, I'd just like to be alone with my bear!"
HeyBub wrote:

Hostis humani generis
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

aquia plankto terrapostualus!
nb

They're probably spread out along the coast in all sorts of little hidden bays.
I believe that during WWII we had some special ships, just looked like ordinary merchant ships but with concealed armaments. Should deploy a few of those, wait for the pirates to turn up and blow the bastards out of the water - no questions asked.
"Stuart" wrote:

Firearms leave a trail.
Give me a vessel equipped as a fire boat.
Wash the decks CLEAN with 1,500 GMM from an 8" nozzle.
About like washing bug splatter from the windshield of your car.
Ship would be clean with nothing to trace except sea water and you're providing something for the sharks to investigate.
Lew

What happened to all those guys from Blackwater? Arene't a lot of them unemployed these days? How much could it cost to put a few of them on a merchant ship, with armament of their choice?
Reply-to address is real John
John wrote:

You mean set a pirate to catch a pirate?
J. Clarke wrote:

U.S. Constitution, Section 8
The Congress shall have the power... To ... grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal*...
-------------- * A letter of marque is an official warrant or commission from a government authorizing the designated agent to search, seize, or destroy specified assets or personnel belonging to a foreign party which has committed some offense under the laws of nations against the assets or citizens of the issuing nation, and has usually been used to authorize private parties to raid and capture merchant shipping of an enemy nation...
<...snipped...>

<...snipped...>
Interesting trivia: The only letter of marque issued since the war of 1812 was for a dirigible used to patrol for submarines during WW2.

J. Clarke wrote:

You mean if you defend yourself from attack, you become an attacker?
--
Jack
HeyBub wrote:

Which nest - the one near Mudug or the ones at the other end of that location's (satellite) internet connection?

Hmm - and how many hostages will that kill?
CERN has satellite views available at
http://unosat.web.cern.ch/unosat/freeproducts/somalia/Piracy/UNOSAT_SOM_Hijacked_Ships_Garacad_A2_Highres.pdf
and I imagine the DOD birds provide considerably more detail.
Perhaps it might be more productive to follow the internet traffic and the money - and then quietly convert the money-movers and the weapons-dealers to chum.
2c
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

http://unosat.web.cern.ch/unosat/freeproducts/somalia/Piracy/UNOSAT_SOM_Hijacked_Ships_Garacad_A2_Highres.pdf

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Then it'd be a good idea to identify the "head of the snake". Somehow I doubt that it's the grunts out on the water.
There have been over $60 million dollars in ransoms paid by shipping companies. Those funds have been converted to spendable form by /someone/ and again, I doubt it's the grunts out on the water.
I don't care if it's the Russian mafia or an exec at Credit Suisse - whoever it is is (to my way of thinking, YMMV) is an accomplice to the piracies, and should be held to account for their participation.
There is apparently some reason to believe that the pirate operations have been funded at least in part by wealthy parties - and should that be proven true, I think that their complete assets should be taken to compensate first the shipping companies for the ransoms and losses due to having their vessels out of service, secondly the hostage crew members for their time in captivity, and thirdly any assets left over should be used under UN supervision to improve conditions in Somalia - perhaps starting with repatriation and restoration of some semblance of normal (pre-genocide) life in the Darfur region.

That's a tall order and much easier said than done. Are you ready to spend the next ten years of /your/ life "starting them over"? Are you prepared to require your offspring to pay for you to make that effort?
If not, then it might be helpful if you'd explain more clearly what you meant, who's to do that job, and how it's going to be funded.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Improving conditions in Somalia, while a laudable goal, has nothing to do with the genocide in Darfur, which is some 3000km, and two international borders, to the west in Sudan.
Doug Miller wrote:

You're correct, but...
I'm not sure that borders have a great deal to do with any of what's going on in the region, other than to excuse non-pursuit across boundaries of those folks who've decided that rule of law doesn't solve their problems or meet their needs. The importance that westerners attach to national boundaries is not universal.
The piracy problem in Somalia bears more than just a passing resemblance to the (foreign) oil producer extortions and kidnappings still farther west. It doesn't take much imagination to find elements of these behavioral modes in activities like the Nigerian internet-based scams. Different perps, but (IMO) similarly rooted in a desperate notion that in order to get one's "fair share" of the planet's wealth, one must wrest it from those who appear to have more than their share.
It struck me some time ago that anyone with a healthy family and a full belly was unlikely to pick up a gun or strap on a suicide vest.
I don't think removing four Somali pirates (or even blowing up a pirate HQ) is going to produce any noticeable change.
Along with playing whack-a-mole with zero-sum predators, we might better serve everyone (including ourselves) by finding more effective permanent solutions to the healthy family and full belly problems.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar