OT Cable Broadband Rocks

Page 2 of 2

in message

That's interesting seeing as a DS3 tops out at 43Mbps/8=5.4MB/s.
todd
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 00:44:09 -0500, "todd"

Correct. My line speed back to the DSLAM is about 7, so on the DS3 I don't get every bit of the ADSL line.
However, some of the tests are done with higher level optical upstreams. To be perfectly honest, I can't tell the differece between the different upstream connections, unless we're doing scripted tests.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

+-----------+ | YOU SUCK! | +-----------+ / \\\\/// / ( o O ) / | . | | ___ | | _____ ..!.. \ | / /----/|\----/ | | / \ ___ ___
Hi Larry, No matter where you are or what you have...someone somewhere has it better than you. You can't win.
Anyway, congrats on moving up to cable.
I've had roadrunner for a couple of years now and loving it. However, my phone modem is nearby if needed. Regards. BigJoe
--
Be sure to check out Joe's and Betty's webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html

its
of
phone
youse
abpf,
each
C Wood spaketh...

I guess it depends on where you live. I've had both and I've found cable to reliable, consistant and much faster than DSL. Again, it depends on where you live, but I don't know anyone who has dropped cable for DSL in this area, but many have gone the other way.
Here would be my list Roadrunner vs. Earthlink 1. Cable is faster 2. Cable is more reliable 3. Cable is consistant in speed, DSL was up and down 4. Cable uploads faster 5. Both were good about not dropping packets 6. Cable is always on, DSL wasn't 7. Cable doesn't require additional software, DSL did and the software used a lot of memory 8. Customer support for cable exists (not great, but problems get fixed after a couple of calls, you have to get the right person)
Earthlink had no customer support to speak of when I dropped them (twoish years ago) if the problem was too complicated they would hang up or pass you to another person who would want to start from scratch again, they would make appointments for technicians to come out and troubleshoot the line and the techs wouldn't show up, then I would have to reschedule (I think the linetechs worked for Covad or Bellsouth) Earthlink sucked in every way, I would never go back unless I had no other option
--
McQualude

OK, but considering Earthlink to be "normal" type DSL with the features you mentioned above would be like saying that AOL is "Real Internet"! What you are describing is an implementation problem with Earthlinks method of DSL. A little research will show that this approach is NOT how DSL is handled by the better providers. The problems you describe are Earthlink, not DSL in general. On a national (USA anyway) scale, DSL is much more stable than Cable. With any real DSL connection, you should have to use no software to make connection. Any other used should be of the antivirus/firewall variety, if any. And once again, ADSL is the most widely known type, but in many ways, has the most limitations. Look for other forms and you will find better quality, longer distances, better providers, and much better service.
Digger
Digger spaketh...

Not necessarily, I have lived in several states and one thing is consistant, I've always had more phone problems than cable problems. Earthlink buys the service from Bellsouth or Time Warner and resells it, even still, that is no excuse for their poor customer service. Mindspring was the best ISP out of many that I've tried, but the day they merged with Earthlink everything went to hell in handbasket.
Well, I guess we're way off-topic, back to makin' shavin's!
--
McQualude