OT Cable Broadband Rocks

Page 1 of 2
I've been suffering with dialup for what seems like forever and finally I made the jump to Mediacom cable internet with this new computer. Sure its pricey, but I think once you try it you won't go back to the dark ages of phone line phandango. I tried to subscribe to DSL but the piddlin' phone company in my town, Century Telephone, does't have it where I am. So youse guys that post those humongous sized files with pittchurs to abpw or abpf, I'll not belly ache about it. Besides you get 10 meg of webspace for each of 6 email addresses that come with the service.
Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

youse
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:26:49 GMT, "Leon"

Here in the UK they got RADSL, and 5 miles is fine, but no more!
Having said that, DSL of any flavour requires a supplier who really knows what they are doing - and to prove it mine doesn't! The service is great when it's running as it should but when it don't, it can seem worse than a dial up - those moments are getting less lately, but they happen and boy do you notice it once you're used to always on and mostly damn quick!
Of course it also reveals problems in other services you connect to which you previously thought were solid and reliable! Can't have it all you know! ;O)
First time I surfed with it, I damn near fell out of the chair as it arrived so quick it caught me out and I jumped back or flinched in total surprise! ;O) (boy did I feel foolish, but the grin lasted a fair few weeks!)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Sorry, brain fart, that's 5.5 Kilometres not miles - still not quite got that metric down pat! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

5.5km very close to 18,000 ft which is the limit for most DSL in the U.S., w/o a 'repeater' -- which can extend the reach to circa 25,000 ft.
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 03:37:15 GMT, bonomi@c-ns. (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

We don't do feet over here anymore, so the impact of what you're telling me got a tad lost by now.
I'm guessing they're about the same lengths by now? Not sure if "repeaters" get involved at all here. Probably not if it cost anything at all knowing how tight BT (unchecked UK monopoly telco) are! Tight is fine, (I guess) but when mixed with stoopid and arrogant as they do it, then the result for the consumer is just horrendous!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
Envy at this end. 1000 ft from telco office and no DSL. Can get ISDN but all local calls with originate where calls to everyone I know won't be local. Cable company brought cable out here 13 years ago. Analog. Upgrade schedual keeps slipping. Direct TV is pricy and I dish has trouble seeing out of the forrest.
Some day.....
Wes