OT - Bottled Water

Page 1 of 2
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/20055639 /
I know a lot of you guys drinkk it. Pernally, rather than paying for little bottle of water, I'd get one of those home water distillers, they run on electric, and purify my own. Should have payback pretty rapid. Personally, I just fill up an old soda bottle from my tap. Of course, I do have a 210 foot deep drilled well, and the water tests out almost chemically pure, and it flows 40 gallons a minute, or so I was told.. Heh heh. Dowed it myself.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in 3335.bay.webtv.net:

Well, there's one benefit to the bottled stuff that you don't get with yours: It's sealed so it will stay good quite a bit longer. We keep bottled water in the cars because people get thirsty...
How would you preserve water anyway? Without dumping Chlorine (bleach) in it?
Puckdropper

pond. Keep away from all manmade contamination. 2. Freeze pure water in large quantities such as glacier or ice cap and keep in cold area. 3. Same way nature has been doing it for millennia. none of the above are 100% safe, but have worked for some time with exceptions.
Thu, Oct 25, 2007, 7:01am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (sweetsawdust) doth claimeth: 1. Place it in a large open container such as a lake or river or even a pond. Keep away from all manmade contamination. <snip>
Do you have any idea what fish do in that water?
Puckdropper wrote:

Stay good? What can go wrong with water?

Ever had a swimming pool, or pond? Water that sits attracts bacteria, algae, and other stuff. Big ponds stay clean by the nature of nature, but they still get stuff growing on top, and in it.
Puckdropper

Thu, Oct 25, 2007, 8:23am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (HeyBub) doth mumble: Stay good? What can go wrong with water?
For one thing, your neighbor use his trebuchet to drop a dead horse in your well. Drink out of your well for awhile, then tell us if the water stayed good. Or go down to the lake at your local nuclear power plant and catch a few of those bass with legs, or six legged frogs.

The only way water can go "bad" is if you leave the cap off and it evaporates. Most of your drinking water is quite ancient, from melted comets which hit the Earth millions of years ago. Still tastes as fresh as the day it arrived.

Refill liter soda bottles with tap water. Reuse and save money.
How many plastic bottles do you send to the dump each year if you drink 3 a day?

It's already chlorinated from the tap unless you leave the bottles uncapped for a day or so. If you need to chlorinate unchlorinated water, a couple of drops of bleach per gallon is plenty.
Ferd Farkel wrote:

If you burn Hydrogen in an Oxygen environment, you can make water.
All other water - in spite of the designation "fresh" - is "used" water.
The Mountain Spring water you drink today, quite likely contains a molecule or two of the very piss that Julius Ceaser added to the Rubicon.
Ferd Farkel wrote:

Only if you're being pedantic and discounting the impurities.

If you can stand to drink your tap water.

Where I grew up it wasn't. Came right out of our very own hole in the ground.

--John

A Brita will handle the traces of impurities. That's all the bottlers do. Dasani is typical. It's filtered tap water -- it's actually the same water used to make Coke without the carbonation, crank, and flavors. It's also more profitable. True genius.
What impurities come from the plastic bottles? Pthalate plasticizers, used to make plastics flexible, are also known as xenoestrogens, or foreign estrogens. Their molecular shape is similar to human estrogen, and they have much the same biological activity.

Baltimore City tap water. Consistently rated second best in the country, right after New York City.

Springs around where I live have been ruined by agricultural and residential runoff. Shame.
Father Haskell wrote:

Some traces of some impuritied--a Brita doesn't produce distilled water.

And if you happen to like how that particular tap water tastes it's worthwhile.

The simple fact that you feel that that is worth mentioning tells me a great deal about you, none of which I like.

Well that's nice if you live in Baltimore.

What "springs"?
--John

Brita is an example. If you want distilled, then distill.

If you don't mind the expense.

Point is, with a little knowledge, I -- or you -- can tear anything apart and make it look bad. So, bad as tap water is (it isn't), I can make "healthful" bottled water look worse.

I'd still not waste money on bottled if possible. I'd filter and/or distill.

Chattolanee Spring, Greenspring Valley Road, Pikesville, MD. Artesian spring. 100 years ago was great, now ruined by golf course runoff.
Ferd Farkel wrote:

I want water that tastes good and doesn't stink and I don't want to have to carry a bunch of crap around with me to get it.

What makes you think that health has anything to do with it? I have a goal in life of dying of a heart attack, stroke, or accident before I get cancer. I don't really give much of a damn about "health".

So now I have to carry a still on the back of my bike along with everything else?

None of those springs were in my back yard so I don't see what relevance they have to the discussion.
--John
Thu, Oct 25, 2007, 11:25pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.Clarke) put out: <snip> I have a goal in life of dying of a heart attack, stroke, oraccident before I get cancer. <snip> None of those springs were in my back yard so I don't see what relevance they have to the discussion.
Didn't know I had a choice when I got cancer.
Well, one of the companies bottling the water you drink could be getting it from one of those springs. That enough relevance?
J T wrote:

You don't have a choice, but if both your parents died of it in their '80s then that gives little incentive to try to live that long.

I thought that the point being made was that bottled water was somebody's city water, not that it was contaminated spring water.
--John
Fri, Oct 26, 2007, 7:54am snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.Clarke) You don't have a choice, but if both your parents died of it in their '80s then that gives little incentive to try to live that long. <snip>
I happen to believe in reincarnation. But I also have no incentive to start early.

A Katyadyn is too heavy?
You have another option. Buy generic purified water in 5 gallon carboys and decant it into your bike bottles. That's not as cheap as municipal tap water, but not as ludicrously overpriced as bottled.
Ferd Farkel wrote:

It takes up volume.

But what's the point of decanting it? It weighs the same either way.
--John

You won't have to drag a trailer or gear way down to climb hills.