Bottled Gas Water Heater for Indoors?

Hi, I am living in a house which is currently connected to the Water mains, but not to the gas and electricity. The house will go renovation some time next year, not before next spring. I was thinking of using a gas heater of the type used in caravans in order to have hot water (to shower, and also to wash dishes if possible, though this is less important - I can heat some water on my cooking gas stove). Does this sound a good idea? Does anyone have concrete suggestions - which make, shop etc? Are there reasons against using such heaters indoors?

Many Thanks Marcus Mink

Reply to
mink

These heaters require flueing, which might be quite difficult to achieve in a building. Without the correct flue arrangements, they will be very dangerous.

If you are going to get a gas main, consider fitting a normal gas combi boiler. If you choose wisely, you can get a model that can be converted between LPG (the big cylinders) and natural gas (wot comes through the mains).

This way, you even get central heating (at considerable expense, mind) until the natural gas main is available. You also don't end up with an expensive appliance that will be surplus to requirements.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Not necessarily.

Some types of water heater designed for use in caravans and boats with bottled gas do not need flues - ours doesn't. You do need a battery powered pump.

Of course you don't get huge amounts of hot water but as a temporary solution I'd consider it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The old deathtrap ones didn't. However, I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one. They fill the house with water vapour and carbon monoxide.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Mary Fisher expressed precisely :

Sorry Mary, I would very much advise against the use of an un-flued water heater.

The more recent ones are flued via the side of a caravan or through the floor - about a 5" square opening. They don't store much hot water and need to have the water under pressure before they will operate. The under pressure part could be achieved with a simple cistern mounted up high. The same basic units work on gas, electric or both.

Trouble is they are very expensive indeed. Could you not use an ordinary electric water heater?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You'd be wrong. The one we have in the caravan is recommended NOT to have a flue. We've used it for some time now and it's not a problem. It's only like heating a kettle of water on a gas ring after all - you don't need additional ventilation for that :-)

You're talking about a completely different type of water heater - I wasn't talking about a stored water heating system but an instant, constant supply, like a cistern.

He doesn't have electricity yet, that's why I suggested a temporary solution ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd be interested what make and model it is (ask spouse?) Is it a Rinnai? (REU 58E)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Reply to
mink

It's a Rinnai, can't remember the model. Hang on

Can't find the paperwork :-(

We've had it for a few years so the model has probably been updated anyway. Made for caravans and boats, we bought it from a place in Lancashire - the old memory is going fast ... Swinton or something like that. They make domestic ones too.

Mail me if you want more info.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

.>>

Does it look like this? :

If the OP is still reading they can also be bought from caravan appliance, chandlers and off Ebay. Ebay would also be a good way to sell it when it's finished with.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Yes.

As I said, we bought it some time ago and it wasn't available from caravan appliance sellers, in fact when we asked about them they said various things such as they'd be illegal and that they wouldn't work etc. They're not illegal, they work - beautifully.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher