Roof Terrace

Has anybody added a roof terrace to a older property?

We have purchased a top floor Georgian flat in a conservation area in Edinburgh. The flat spans the whole of the top floor of the origional townhouse. The deeds to the house state that we are solely responsible for the maintenance of the flat roof, which means we can actually do what we want with it subject to planning permission. Does anybody have any advise regarding such a project, especially roof access solutions. There are 3 existing skylights in our hallway but none large enough for a stair. There is however space in our hallway for a stair to be built. Also, the roof is currently clad in green felt that is probably coming to the end of it's life expectancy so we presume that this would have to be relaid with a more durable material prior to laying any slabs or deck up there. Any advise on materials?

Any help much appreciated.

Reply to
Simon